Engine stumble at light throttle tip-in by Matt Hawkins
Started on: 02-13-2001 06:06 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: 87GTZ34 on 02-14-2001 09:58 PM
Matt Hawkins

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2001 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
My 86 GT 5-spd has an engine stumble at light tip-in. This is regardless of speed or gear. It will even do it in neutral. I have swapped all of the sensors from my 87 GT 5-spd and it seems to make no difference. At full throttle, the car runs fine. Any ideas?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Shaun41178

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
User Banned

Report this Post02-13-2001 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shaun41178Send a Private Message to Shaun41178Direct Link to This Post
Even though you said you changed all the sensors, make sure the TPS is not sticking. it can be new but somehow get stuck.

My car would stumble at takeoff except at WOT. Turned out the TPS swithc was stuck in the WOT position. Got it fixed and no more probs. An easy 5 second check and if not then no harm done.

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2001 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
I know it is working properly and not stuck. Any other ideas?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2001 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Check the MAP vacuum line very carefully.

check timing.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 02-13-2001).]

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2001 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Anyone else every had a problem like this with the V6?
Tom Philips

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2001 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom PhilipsSend a Private Message to Tom PhilipsDirect Link to This Post
Try removing vac line from EGR valve plug the line then try it ...
TheFiero64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2001 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheFiero64Click Here to visit TheFiero64's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheFiero64Direct Link to This Post
The TPS was my only suggestion.

------------------
Josh
88 Coupe V6

My pics

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2001 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
My 87 GT auto does the same thing, but only for the first minute or so of driving. Once it's warmed up it's fine.

------------------
Jon Lagler
'87 GT
4.9 liter V8 Testarossa Spyder (under construction)

Stoic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2001 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StoicSend a Private Message to StoicDirect Link to This Post
I know a bad ignition module can cause those symptoms, unfortunately the only way to test it is to replace it.

------------------
If you can read this, I'm parked.

87GTZ34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2001 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTZ34Send a Private Message to 87GTZ34Direct Link to This Post
Matt, just picked up another '87 GT today and guess what... same symptom you have. I looked briefly at the eng when I parked it and noticed: 1) no thermostat (actually the gauge went all the way yot 130...); 2) the crankcase vent was pulled from the tb snout; 3) I didn't check timing but a 'rainbow' set of plug wires are on it (I'm guessing they weren't all purchased at the same time); 4) I didn't check vacuum lines which I will b4 driving. I'll let you know what I find out (and I will figure it out).

------------------
87GTZ34

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock