Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  What size exhaust sould I get on my Quad4?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

What size exhaust sould I get on my Quad4? by fierojp
Started on: 11-16-2001 11:29 AM
Replies: 4
Last post by: fierojp on 11-17-2001 03:29 PM
fierojp

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2001 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierojpClick Here to visit fierojp's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierojpDirect Link to This Post
I have a Quad4 in my Fiero - I'm getting a custom exhaust done tomorrow. In the interest of money, it will be a single exhaust with a standard cat and muffler. Do you think I should go with 2 1/4 inch tubing or 2 1/2? My instincts say 2 1/4....

Thanks! http://www.fierojp.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2001 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverDirect Link to This Post
can you tell me where is a good source for quad4 conversions? i have a 84 2m4 - one of the first off the assembly line and i want to put a q4 in it - found one that runs from a grand am.

Originally posted by fierojp:
I have a Quad4 in my Fiero - I'm getting a custom exhaust done tomorrow. In the interest of money, it will be a single exhaust with a standard cat and muffler. Do you think I should go with 2 1/4 inch tubing or 2 1/2? My instincts say 2 1/4....

Thanks! http://www.fierojp.com

cadero2dmax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2001 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cadero2dmaxSend a Private Message to cadero2dmaxDirect Link to This Post
Long John Silver

I'm not much of an expert on Quad 4's, i just built one of the (if not the first) Fiero conversion in 1991, and raced it until this past season. Since then, Greg Duncan has been running it in the Tucson/Phoenix area.

That being said, first I would never try this conversion with anything but the HO version, the 180 or 190hp versions (if you can find a 190hp W41 engine somewhere - and bring your checkbook!). I think you said it was an early engine, then it must be either the 140 or 150 horse version. These have head and head gasket problems, a lot of overheating, amonst others.

Now - for FieroJP

Custom exhaust? When my engine was built, we had it on a dyno. It originally produced a peak of 256 horsepower at 5800rpm , but no torque (150ftlb, or so at around 4400 - less than stock!). We went from the IMSA headers back to the stock manifold, ported the first 3" and port matched it, and the hp dropped to 248, but at 4900RPM and the torque went to over 190lbft at 4200. Do you realize how much that would improve both 60' and 1/4 mile times?

Then we shitcanned the racing cams, and went to the W41 cams with a 2 degree cam kit, and the horsepower dropped to 238, but at an amazing 4200rpm peak, plus the torque jumped to 208lbft at 3800RPM with a relatively flat torque curve all the way to just 5700 RPM.

With 18 less horsepower, and over 50ftlb's of torque, I probably lowered my 1/4 mile time by close to a full second (the car ended up in the low to mid 13's, but it wasn't built for that, it was a GT-2 car at first, then became an autocrosser).

No, if you are into the numbers game, go with your custom headers and get horsepower. But at the low end (remember this is a multi valve small displacement engine, the power is at high rpm's anyway) your Fiero will be a total slug until you get it wound up.

Remember, horsepower sells cars, torque wins races.

Let me know how it comes out

Cadero2dmax (formerly quad4fiero)

cadero2dmax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2001 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cadero2dmaxSend a Private Message to cadero2dmaxDirect Link to This Post

cadero2dmax

1266 posts
Member since Oct 2001
After all that, I forgot to answer your question. I would use 2 1/2" exhaust. I had a Flowmaster, with a 4" resonated tip. Looked and sounded pretty good!

G

fierojp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2001 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierojpClick Here to visit fierojp's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierojpDirect Link to This Post
Already got the exhaust before I read your reply. Went with the 2 1/4. I ended up not getting a muffler installed for space and money reasons. I will get a resonator of some kind. It'll be loud. The V8 Fiero I had didn't have mufflers either and it was fine... Yeah, my engine is one of the early quad4's. I bought it from Boomtastic (on this list). He had it built up pretty good. It should be fun once everything's finished... hopefully - keep your fingers crossed!

I know Greg Duncan too! Great guy. Haven't seen him in awhile...

Thanks,
JP

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock