Started on: 01-17-2002 09:47 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: cmc on 01-18-2002 07:17 PM
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2002 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
I have seen a few people talking about oil leaks so here is some info on replacing that Distributor O-Ring that needs replacing so often. The pictures I have are from this fall when I replaced the one in my 86 SE.

So how do you know if your distributor is leaking? Well if you have a 4-spd (like I do) you will see a puddle form like in the picture below. For reference notice the EGR valve in the top left hand corner of the picture.

In order to change this O-Ring you of course have to remove the distributor. I always start by removing a few things to gain access to the distributor. I have found that removing the heat shields around the Coil and EGR Valve and the coil itself provides enough clearance. Photo below for reference.

Now remove the distributor cap and mark the direction in which the rotor is pointed. You should have a clear view of where the distributor goes into the block. There is one bolt and a hold down bracket. Remove the bolt and bracket and pull the distributor straight up out of the hole (you will have to turn the baseplate to clear the coolant lines going to the throttle body). The photo below shows everything that has been removed (notice the O-Ring on the shaft of the Distributor).

And this is what it looks like with everything removed.

The old O-Ring should be hard and brittle and will most likely crack instead of stretching when you go to take it off. Find a new one that is the right size (any auto parts store should work) and work it on being careful not to cut it on the gear at the end of the shaft. When you go the reinstall the distributor don't be surprised if it takes a little force to get the new O-Ring into the block and make sure you have the rotor facing the right direction. Replace the Coil, Heatshields etc. set the timing and that is it.

I did mine in an hour including the wait for the car to get up to temperature in order to set the timing. A swivel socket will come in handy to get at the distributor bolt but an end wrench works as well. Hope this helps some of you with your oil leak problems.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rodmcneill

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2002 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodmcneillSend a Private Message to rodmcneillDirect Link to This Post
If you lubricate the new O ring before reinstalling the distributor it should go back in a little easier.
Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2002 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post
And as long as you have the dist out it's a good time to replace the pickup coil. 8 dollar part, and if it hasn't been replaced before you will notice a difference. Takes a few extra steps, but it's not hard at all

ahhh, I remember when I used to have a distributor.. and plug wires
------------------

1988 Quad 4 Coupe 5 speed
1986 GT 5 speed, 1984 SC Auto
AOL: LastMinuteBastrd AIM: SavedbyJebus

[This message has been edited by Standard (edited 01-17-2002).]

Fierowrecker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2002 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierowreckerClick Here to visit Fierowrecker's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierowreckerDirect Link to This Post
While you are at it, look for a high temp aviation replacement o-ring...
crash...
Jefrysuko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2002 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
All good ideas guys. Fierowrecker, have you ever actually found high temp O-Rings? I wouldn't have a clue as where to look.

I am surprised no one noticed my funky cruise control setup. I still have yet to actually see it work though.

------------------

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2002 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I noticed it, just didnt know for sure what it was. Thought maybe one of the optional pwr steering setups.
cadaver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2002 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cadaverSend a Private Message to cadaverDirect Link to This Post
High temp oring can be bought from any place that sells aircraft parts. They are pretty much near most airports. Not as oddball as it sounds.
They are silicone instead of rubber.
Dan87GT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2002 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan87GTSend a Private Message to Dan87GTDirect Link to This Post
I also put a SBC distributor gasket under mine, never had a leak since...
Jefrysuko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2002 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dan87GT:
I also put a SBC distributor gasket under mine, never had a leak since...

Ohhh... I like that idea!

------------------

Mark Matthews

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2002 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark MatthewsSend a Private Message to Mark MatthewsDirect Link to This Post
I think I should probably do this, who knows what the PO did. What is an SBS oil ring? Where can I get one?

------------------
Mark Matthews
'87 GT Fastback T-top

FieroJoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2002 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJoeSend a Private Message to FieroJoeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mark Matthews:
What is an SBS oil ring? Where can I get one?

I believe he means SBC, as in Small Block Chevy. Go to a parts place and ask for a distributor gasket for a chevy 350, I would assume.

PFF
System Bot
Fred88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2002 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fred88GTSend a Private Message to Fred88GTDirect Link to This Post
I replaced the o-ring on my distribtor last week. Purchased the new one from the local
Pontiac dealer PN 10477565 for $1.30.
I believe it is high temperature compound
(brown color rubber).

Fred
88GT
85GT

cmc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2002 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmcSend a Private Message to cmcDirect Link to This Post
When I did the distributor O-ring replacement on my (non-Fiero, and even worse--longitudinally mounted) 2.8L, I used a Fel-Pro gasket, I think P/N 70194. Pretty cheap, only a few bucks (I forget exactly how much).

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock