3.4l DOHC coolant plumbing question by Matt Hawkins
Started on: 04-28-2002 08:01 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: DRH on 04-30-2002 09:25 PM
Matt Hawkins

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2002 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
For those of you who have completed the DOHC swap, how did you plumb the coolant lines? Both the heater core and radiator. Thanks.

Matt
86 GT, 5-spd
87 GT, 5-spd DOHC Turbo - in progress

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2002 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
have you tried here too. many sites avail for 3.4 dohc/tdc
http://www.fierosails.com/fierosecrets.html#Performance

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2002 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Bump
DRH

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2002 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRHSend a Private Message to DRHDirect Link to This Post
I can't find a link to it but I remember someone on here mentioning that some of the coolant lines needed to be plugged because the DOHC has too many. It seems thay even mentioned which ones. Sorry I know that's not much help but maybe you could find it with the search function.

BTW, Is this you?
http://mae.wvu.edu/~mhawkins/super34.htm

MRJ

Feedback score:    (36)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2002 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MRJClick Here to visit MRJ's HomePageSend a Private Message to MRJDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DRH:
BTW, Is this you?

I was curious about that too! Hey Matt long time not talk. This is Matt and I came and saw your projects in Morgantown. Well glad to know your still with it. I am too! Talk to you later
Matt Jackson
88 GT
88 coupe
86 SE fastback

Banzai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2002 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BanzaiSend a Private Message to BanzaiDirect Link to This Post
Plug both fittings at the intake manifold and the one that comes out just above the water pump--use 1/2" NPT plugs. You'll be eliminating the crossover pipe from the waterpump inlet to the manifold. Use a stock 3.4 lower engine hose(waterpump to pipe) you'll have to trim about 1 1/2" from the pipe end and 1/2" from the water pump end. You'll need a 2.8 thermostat housing and depending on the engine and computer setup you may have to modify the housing to clear the air intake tube. You'll have to cut off and weld the little nipples and slightly bend the heater outlet. Heater hoses go from thermostat housing to pipe with 5/8" bulk hose and you'll need a 3/4" formed hose(I have the part # somewhere) to go from the waterpump to pipe. I also rerouted the PCV tubes around the rear of the motor to make more room in the manifold area. I used an 84'lower, pipe to water pump hose for the upper coolant hose but I had to modify my thermostat housing so this may not be right depending on your situation but it should be very close.
If you need anything else let me know.

Banzai !!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Banzai (edited 04-29-2002).]

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2002 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help.

DRH and MRJ, yes it is me. The supercharger has been ditched due to space constraints. I really wanted to use it, but it wasn't practical in the end. The engine is now in an 87 GT I picked up since moving to Michigan. The white care is long gone. Parted out and sent to the crusher. I have also since been bitten by the turbo bug.

Matt

DRH

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2002 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRHSend a Private Message to DRHDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking of trying the SC after I saw your website a while back... That is until I started taking some measurements and figured out I wouldn't be able to have a decklid.

Actually a turbo is probably more suited to a DOHC anyway. I'm planning on doing a turbo DOHC now, although it'll probably be next winter before I do much with it. What size turbo are you planning on running? What are you using for ECM/boost compensation?

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2002 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by DRH:
I was thinking of trying the SC after I saw your website a while back... That is until I started taking some measurements and figured out I wouldn't be able to have a decklid.

Actually a turbo is probably more suited to a DOHC anyway. I'm planning on doing a turbo DOHC now, although it'll probably be next winter before I do much with it. What size turbo are you planning on running? What are you using for ECM/boost compensation?

Couldn't you just cut the hood and add a scoop?

------------------
Roy :D
Just another stock Blue 87 GT
Suncoast Fieros

JUST ADDED: YELLOW 1988 GT w/ T-Tops, 5-Speed, and Performance Sound.

DRH

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2002 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRHSend a Private Message to DRHDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfixit58:
Couldn't you just cut the hood and add a scoop?

Look at the picture of the SC mounted in the link above. Pretty much the whole SC including the pulley will be sitting higher than the stock decklid. This would mean cutting the decklid all the way to the edge. I think what would be left would be pretty flimsy.

If someone really wanted to do it, it would probably work out better to customize some sort of separate trunk lid like the MR2s. Maybe combine the grills, the front of the decklid and a big scoop into a lift off piece???

Part of the problem is that the DOHC is a 60 degree instead of a 90 degree like the 3800. There's just no room between the heads so the SC has to be mounted very high to clear the fuel rail/injectors.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock