Started on: 08-19-2002 09:24 AM
Replies: 21
Last post by: David Kerr on 09-14-2002 04:58 AM
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2002 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Clutch and pressure plate!!

I talked to Eric at WCF. He said that they won't have any clutch sets for a while.(some problem with the clutch company)

So now I am stuck getting something else.
I need something that will hold up to 300lbs tork hp.
What about Napa?lux? or centerforce?

I need the pressure plate as well as in a set for little money.

Any Ideas?
Oh this is a 3.8sc w/getrag in my 88GT

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
BOILERMAKER

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2002 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BOILERMAKERSend a Private Message to BOILERMAKERDirect Link to This Post
I'd check with Bengal. He's running a Kevlar setup on a 3800 that I may try next time. I've also heard good things about Spec (I think these are still beying tried out though) and Archie's Centerforce clutch.

I really like the WCF clutch, hope they get the clutch company problem fixed.

------------------

Mike

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2002 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post
Try just cutting a hole in the floorpan and just push it with your feet! I think that would be pretty cheap as well and alot less work! LMK, If it work's...

------------------

SmoothFieroGT@Yahoo.com

revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2002 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Come on Steve, I don't want it like YOUR car!j/k

I need some REAL answers here!

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2002 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
I think it depends totally on what your doing with the engine. If its mostly stock with maybe pulley upgrades then you wont need as much clutch.

the spec clutches havent really been used much, but should be soon.
Archies are being used in many SBC swaps and work well. Very Very light clutch pedal.
Boilermaker does like the WCF clutch. He's done 2 that I know of.
Skitime, I believe, is using Archies clutch.
If you get crazy, you can go with a quartermaster clutch like Cal Kid or Artherd. but thats very expensive and not needed for less than 350 or so LbFt.

Ohand dont listen to Smooth, Hes from Texas.
Oh wait, So are you nevermind that. =Þ
------------------
Two 88FORMULAS Red & Yellow
SSFiero@Aol.com

[This message has been edited by KissMySSFiero (edited 08-19-2002).]

revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2002 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Kiss my what??? oh never mind hee hee
So far I cannot make my mind up!

What have ya'll heard of the Borg-Warner Brute Force clutch??? good? fair?poor?

------------------

revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2002 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
bump cause GTDUDE said try the borg warner in my 3.8sc. any ideas on that working ???

------------------

revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2002 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Helloooooooo???? people this is a simple clutch Question.....

A 3.8sc 5sp Getrag~~~What clutch will be ok for a few thousand miles of fast driving/street races?

Centerforce?
Spec?
What about BORG-WARNER??????
luk?

I want something around the $300 range

revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2002 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post

revin

8684 posts
Member since Aug 2001
bump
Hairy_Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
User Banned

Report this Post08-21-2002 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hairy_FieroSend a Private Message to Hairy_FieroDirect Link to This Post
Use the clutch Archie uses. I'm pretty sure skitime is using arhie's and is happy with it on his 3800sc.
The Aura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2002 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraDirect Link to This Post
archies centreforce D/F.... isn't it the best ogf the best anyways?

------------------
1986 GT 4spd> Suspension Techniques Springs, Poly Bushings, Bosal Brospeed 4.5" Exhaust Tips, Cross Drilled Rotors

PFF
System Bot
revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2002 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
well I guess the winer is...........ARCHIE's centerforce! !! ! ! ! !
StansGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2002 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StansGTSend a Private Message to StansGTDirect Link to This Post
Why not a centerforce, for a 5.7l firebird... Tis what I've been useing for about 2 months, with no slips or problems, so far... other than some missfires on cyl 4, but thats a wiring issue.

------------------
02' 3800SC Poly, Koni, Enkei

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2002 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
im using a borg warner brute force clutch in my 3.2L thats what ALL napa's sell around here. My car was dyno'd at 211lbs at the wheels and 152HP and it holds up just fine, with no slips, but id recommend archies setup for a 3800 series one or two supercharged, but on my 3800 series one n/a im going to use a brute force also.

matthew

[This message has been edited by m0sh_man (edited 08-22-2002).]

West Coast Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2002 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for West Coast FieroClick Here to visit West Coast Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to West Coast FieroDirect Link to This Post
9-1/8" Kev/Kev in stock - good

9-11/16" Kev/Kev pressure plate parts half manufactured and half lost in a trade dispute between 3 countries and McLeod focusing all energy on this one single pressure plate design to fill 5,000 orders - bad

Sintered Iron - in stock

as well as everything else except that friggen 9-11/16" p.plate - if Arch can make it happen for you than go for it. Boilermaker has got to be the luckiest man on earth, he received his 2nd clutch out of 1 set that happened to be left over after Carol Shelby bought all 1,000 units for his 4.9 cars, and the last one before the entire manufacturing mess - I thinks Im gonna have boiler buy me a lottery ticket

------------------
( the above was the thoughts, views, and opinions of a disgruntled Fiero mechanic, and do not express or
imply those of West Coast Fiero, Fieros West, or any other organization - just that of this poor
bastard )
:)

Eric Nelson
Technician,
West Coast Fiero
310-305-4111

BOILERMAKER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2002 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BOILERMAKERSend a Private Message to BOILERMAKERDirect Link to This Post
Just tell me when, Eric.

I heard about the leadtime on that gem. That sux.

revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2002 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Eric,
I have heard that the S10 3.8 HAS a 9 11/16 clutch and pressure plate....do you think that would be the same as the one ya'll were selling? Well with a better clutch.
Boilermaker?? your thoughts?
BOILERMAKER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2002 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BOILERMAKERSend a Private Message to BOILERMAKERDirect Link to This Post
I'm not really an expert. I just know what has proven itself to me. WCF's 9 11/16 pressure plate and friction disc has proven itself to me thus far without any problems. I have never tried the smaller PP, but figure that if it is good on Archie's (isn't he using the smaller PP?) then it's got to be good for us.

I think we are starting to see the aftermarket for our clutches open up though. There are some good products out there to try and test. I'm all up for trying out another product IF this one fails on me.

GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2002 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
REVIN........I've had second thoughts......

I'D PUT THE CHEAPEST THING IN IT YOU CAN FIND........SINCE ALL YOU ARE GONNA DO IS DRIVE IT UP ON THE TRAILER AND OFF AGAIN.........LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

PHIL

------------------
GTDude
OVER 25 years GM experience

GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2002 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post

GTDude

9056 posts
Member since Nov 2001
REVIN........I've had second thoughts......

I'D PUT THE CHEAPEST THING IN IT YOU CAN FIND........SINCE ALL YOU ARE GONNA DO IS DRIVE IT UP ON THE TRAILER AND OFF AGAIN.........LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

PHIL

------------------
GTDude
OVER 25 years GM experience

blakeinspace

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2002 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Actually Phil,

Since it only goes on and off the trailer, he really doesn't need a clutch at all. Or a transmission either!

Just push it around!

See Kevin? Phil and I are just trying to save you a little money!

------------------
REMEMBER: stoplights synch'd for 35mph are also synch'd for 70mph.
(and for 140mph, now that I think about it.)

PFF
System Bot
David Kerr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2002 04:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David KerrSend a Private Message to David KerrDirect Link to This Post
I have a 3800 SC motor in my 87 GT running with a 5 speed Getrag. I have no slippage and have done burnouts and experimenting to get a fast off the line time.

Anyway, I have a double diaphram pressure plate with a kevlar/organic disc. I had this made to hold 350 HP. It works beautifully so far. i have about 1000 miles on the clutch so far. My current 0-60 time is 5.0 seconds.

The brand is Clutchnet. You can talk to Igor at www.clutchnet.com. It cost me $420 shipped to my door.

--David

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock