Oil Leak Problems (Warning, Pics) by FieroRacer
Started on: 09-19-2002 07:04 PM
Replies: 2
Last post by: GTDude on 09-20-2002 07:30 AM
FieroRacer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2002 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRacerClick Here to visit FieroRacer's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRacerDirect Link to This Post
I'm getting some ugly oil leaks in my car and need opinions on it. Keep in mind, I hosed down the whole bottom of the car before the test drive.

Here we're looking at my passenger side Axle. Looks like some oil is dripping out. I also don't think the axle's all the way in.

Here is the oil pan lip with some fresh oil on it. I used some black RTV Sealant like the dealer said, but it doesn't seem to have held.

Here we have some oil on the oil filter and right behind the starter. Also not circled, the bottom part of the starter motor has a trail of oil on it, and what looks like a trail leading up to the top of the motor.

Here we have oil on the bottom side of the oil pan, as well as on the engine cradle itself.

Some oil on the block, right below the drain plug, and on the bottom of the tranny bell housing. None was on the flexplate though.

Main cause of the smoke from my car, fresh oil on the muffler and engine cradle.

I even have oil on the head sheild between trunk and muffler.

If anyone has any advice, let me have it.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2002 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
In your first pic, the axle looks like is isn't in the whole way, that will create a leak there.

2nd pic, could be a leaking valve cover gasket, head gasket, or the fitting where the oil pressure switch piping connects to the block.

5th pic, could be leaking distributer o-ring, intake manifold gasket, or valve cover gasket. I'd look at the base of the distributer where it enters the block, that O-rings is famous for rotting out and leaking.

The rest of the pics, might be a leaky base pan gasket, but you can see the oil is running from higher up.

The oil and trans fluid over the muffler and bottom of the trunk is just a result of the oil being blown back under the car while driving along.

I'd start with the distributer o-ring, and checking the valve cover gaskets throughly, those are the 2 most commin places to leak.

------------------

1988GT T-Tops, 5spd, everything but power seat

GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2002 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jelly2m8:
In your first pic, the axle looks like is isn't in the whole way, that will create a leak there.

2nd pic, could be a leaking valve cover gasket, head gasket, or the fitting where the oil pressure switch piping connects to the block.

5th pic, could be leaking distributer o-ring, intake manifold gasket, or valve cover gasket. I'd look at the base of the distributer where it enters the block, that O-rings is famous for rotting out and leaking.

The rest of the pics, might be a leaky base pan gasket, but you can see the oil is running from higher up.

The oil and trans fluid over the muffler and bottom of the trunk is just a result of the oil being blown back under the car while driving along.

I'd start with the distributer o-ring, and checking the valve cover gaskets throughly, those are the 2 most commin places to leak.

LOL......Jelly.......should have known it was you.....we agree so often. Yep...what he said!

The axle is a long way from being all the way in....see how shiny it is.....that part should be in the tranny. Most likely the spring clip on the end of the shaft has broken or was not installed. You'll need to pull that out and fix that immediatly before you tear something up that's EXPENSIVE! Good luck!

Phil

------------------
GTDude
OVER 25 years GM experience

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock