Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  how to build a 10 second v8 fiero (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
how to build a 10 second v8 fiero by fiero lt1
Started on: 10-05-2002 12:09 AM
Replies: 59
Last post by: LFiero67 on 10-10-2002 09:55 PM
fiero lt1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2002 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero lt1Send a Private Message to fiero lt1Direct Link to This Post
I want a fiero capable of 10 seconds. Besides the engine what do i need to make this work, like what trans would work best and anything like that. power is not a problem with what I plan on doing to the lt1 adn I will be driving this on the street so I am looking for something that will handle nice so i was going to get the brake upgrade and coilover suspension....this good idea? Also can you switch out the 2.88 axle ratio from an automatic fiero into a 5 speed??? dont know how the trans works so just asking.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Sootah

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2002 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SootahClick Here to visit Sootah's HomePageSend a Private Message to SootahDirect Link to This Post
So far it seems that a 12 second Fiero is the most reasonably achieveable within some form of budget. To get 10 seconds you have to do some fairly radical engine/suspension mods. Our cars are good in the twisties. 1/4 mile racing is for sissies . AutoX it.

Sounds like way more fun...

Note: The above opinion was in no way that of an expert. I've merely been observing the forum for more than a year now; and this seems to be the consensus.

------------------

The Black Beauty (85 GT) - Bustedato (86 SE, Parts car)
Nobody likes a loser, be a cheater.

WANT TO TRADE: '85 GT for a decent small truck. (Mazda B-Series or the like)
needin' something better for winter
I_R_Sootah@hotmail.com

voyagerspe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2002 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for voyagerspeSend a Private Message to voyagerspeDirect Link to This Post
"10 seconds" thats easy you can do it with your 2.8

just run 1/8 miles

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2002 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
A 10 second Fiero is a pretty tall order.

It takes a very healthy V8 to get it into 12's

A very healty V8 with lots of NAWWWZZZ ( haha, just had to jump on the bandwagon and say it that way...;p) to get it into 11's

10's? Would take something really serious, and I doubt it would be streetable.

------------------

1988GT T-Tops, 5spd, Loaded

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2002 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
I doubt if you will achieve a 10 second 1/4 mile in a Fiero with anything but a small block Chevy V8 and even that will be quite a chore.
The only ten second 1/4 mile Fiero that I have heard of is/was owned by Pat Ciarcia of C&C Performance in Mt. Pocono, PA. Pat ran a modified carbureted SBC V8 that also had a 200 HP Nitrous kit. I don't have details on what suspension he used but Pat used a modified TH-125H tranny which quite remarkably held up for four drag racing seasons. In short the car was specially built with all of the right parts
I don't know what became of the car or if Pat is still racing it. You might defer this question to Archie as he knows the guy and used one of his kits.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo Best 0-60 5.2 seconds
http://turbofiero.fierojoe.com/turbo.htm

alf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2002 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for alfSend a Private Message to alfDirect Link to This Post
GO to 1/8 mile drag strip. (Just having a little fun) ---alf
DKOV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2002 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKOVClick Here to visit DKOV's HomePageSend a Private Message to DKOVDirect Link to This Post
You only need a couple of things to make ANY Fiero a 10 second Fiero...

One Gigantic ACME Rubber Band and a pair of big trees.

Seriously, why don't I hear more posts like "How can I make my Fiero handle better?"

... and they say the Fast and the Furious had ZERO impact on the "Street scene".

DKOV -

Hairy_Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
User Banned

Report this Post10-05-2002 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hairy_FieroSend a Private Message to Hairy_FieroDirect Link to This Post

http://www.v8archie.com/pat.htm

------------------

GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2002 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
How many engines were you planning on using?
And where were you planning on putting them?
LOL.......

Seriously......as stated above....it can be done if you have an unlimited budget. A 12 sec Fiero would be alot more fun cause it would be street driveable........even that will cost lots of money....Good luck!

Phil

------------------
If you find my replies helpful, please take the time to give me a positive rating. Thanks.
GTDude
OVER 25 years GM experience

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2002 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Add two JATO Rockets!!! Then you still have a very streetable car, just bolt them back on for the next run.
GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2002 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
your only problem is the Tranny. Archie usuaully beefs up the automatic for his v-8 applications but for a 10 sec fiero.... It can be done but you would need to send it to a really good professional transmision shop. They can make it stronger and put in a higher gear ratio but you got have a lot of $$$ for it. Unless you feel like replacing the tranny few months

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: GTFiero
What oil leak? That puddle under the car is just sweat from all that horsepower.

PFF
System Bot
88formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2002 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88formulaClick Here to visit 88formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88formulaDirect Link to This Post
10-second fiero

------------------

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2002 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88formula:
10-second fiero

LMAO!!! It's a keeper!

LFiero67

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2002 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Direct Link to This Post
Why do you guys think that a 10 second car would not be streetable. I know lots of people that drive 10 second cars on the street. And those are 3500 to 4000 lb cars. A 2900LB car would need way less HP. If you are worried about breaking then forget it, but most people who build fast cars accept the risk of breaking. Even a rear wheel drive car running a "built" tranny and a ford 9" rear end is going to break once and a while. And for future reference 450 hp is not that impressive out of a small block. I know people making 600 and up, before nitrous. To anyone who wants to build a 10 second fiero, go do it. Fuk the naysayers to quote fieroX, no one believed that a 3800SC Fiero would ever run 11's and guess what he just ran a 12.1 and he is not done yet. The reason there are no really fast fiero's is because most people on this board knock down the ideas of those who have goals. If you have the money and the dream, go get it.
ICY
12 second 3800 Fiero
Mach10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2002 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post
It all depends what you call "streetable." These guys running 10-second muscle usually have stupid rear-ends (4.11-5.66), locked spools (NASTY in turns) and zero gas mileage on race gas...

You call that streetable?

5mpg, NO vacuum at idle, VERY touchy high-stall converter (or chattery clutch), ZERO-emissions compliance...

These do not combine to form what I'd call a "streetable" experience.

However, if you can live with these traits, then yeah, it's "streetable."

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2002 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LFiero67:
The reason there are no really fast fiero's is because most people on this board knock down the ideas of those who have goals. If you have the money and the dream, go get it.
ICY
12 second 3800 Fiero

In reference to 10 second quarters or low ET V6's. I don't think too many people said it couldn't be done. It just a matter of "Is it a smart thing to do?" If all you care about is a fast ET, there are better cars that perform the quarter better than the Fiero, and have Performance Parts Suppliers to back them up.

I would guess that you feel there's no fast Fiero's because you haven't ridden in one that properly setup. Curves are a lot more full than a short straight line.

fiero lt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2002 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero lt1Send a Private Message to fiero lt1Direct Link to This Post
I am going to agree with Lfiero67 on this one because I have seen many f-bodies that run low elevens and high 10's that are perfectly streetable. I honestly think the people who actually know something should only post to stuf like this or the people making jokes (like the rocket fiero, heh). A motor that pulls low 11's high 10's in an f-body would run friggin 9's in a fiero but then there is the issue of the trans etc... I think there are porsche transaxles that you can use arent there?
Wipe0ut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2002 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wipe0utClick Here to visit Wipe0ut's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wipe0utDirect Link to This Post
Yes, you could use a Porsche transaxle which would require mounting your engine longitudinally (and therefore cutting your trunk). It can be done, but a lot of people haven't done it. If the transaxle and differential can handle the power, you're all set.
perkidelic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2002 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for perkidelicClick Here to visit perkidelic's HomePageSend a Private Message to perkidelicDirect Link to This Post
Fiero lt1, I know your frustration about now! You asked what you thought was a simple question and got flamed - or as close as one can come to it without smelling his eyebrows burning! My thread on basically the same subject in GFC started the same way, but eventually turned positive - after all the naysayers aired their opinions and the real discussion began. Now 135 posts later I am encouraged and chasing my dream. It was rough sailing for the first few days though! I almost sold my Fieros and bought a Chevette! (kidding)

I'm even crazy enough to shoot for the nines, in a car that will HANDLE as well! That's the reason I am building the car - to have a serious drag racer that turns and stops. The tranny does seem to be the weak link and I plan to have some solutions to this and the driveshafts as I progress.

Build your car! To begin it will cost you less than building a conventional drag racer. The cost will ramp up significantly when you are forced to deal with the transmission issue. Performance costs - no matter what you're working with! A properly set up 9-inch rear for a f/r car starts around a grand. The best tranny for a street-legal drag car in f/r is a Powerglide which can run 4-5K for the best with a trick converter. My point is no matter which way you go it costs to be fast, so do what makes sense to you. People said the front-drivers were crazy too. "Why not just build a conventional drag car", they screamed! "You're wasting your money", they cried! "It'll never hook", they proclaimed! Now, they're flying and most of the Doubting Thomases are incredibly silent! Which brings me to my last point:

Many of the same parts that have been developed for them will work for us - with some slight modding - remember our cars have complete f/f cradles back there! The difference? Ours will hook like velcro and turn like the Batmobile!!!

------------------

http://phitown.com" TARGET=_blank rel="nofollow">http://phitown.com

LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2002 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Direct Link to This Post
Actually alot of 10 second cars are very streetable. A locker rear end and 5 MPG are not requirements for a 10 second car. My friends 8-9 second car yes, but a fuel injected car can run 10's with a blower and some head work. Same guy 2000 LS1 firebird, blower, heads, cam = 10.81 seconds. Drove it 6000 miles on the hiway. Pretty streetable if you ask me. I think that alot of the doubters have a problem with living in the past. Hell once upon a time fully sponsored race cars ran 10's. Time to come up to speed, 10's are very acievable in a street car.

And as far as cars better for fast ETs???
Most of my "muscle car" friends would kill for the kind of traction I get. I drive 200KM to the track getting 30MPG, rip off some mid 12 second ETs and drive home getting 30MPG. Alot of people running 12's in "muscle cars" have to trailer their car to the track.

Who says a quick car can't handle?? My car handles better than many cars on the road. It might not handle as well as some guys that have set their cars up for autocross only but it holds it own.

The fiero is an excellent choice for quarter mile performance. Lots of engine upgrades/swaps available, hella traction, and light weight. Sounds like the perfect drag car to me. The only problem is tranny's and I'd say a 4T60 swap with manual shifting will take care of that.

If you are into autocrossing, good for you, some of us aren't. Your BS comments of how Fiero's don't make good drag cars does only one thing. Keep people from building a excellent ET machine. Stick to what you know, because you don't know dick about drag racing.
ICY

LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2002 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Direct Link to This Post

LFiero67

871 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Oh yeah, there are better cars for autocrossing too. So you should all stop autocrossing fiero's it's a waste of money.
ICY
PFF
System Bot
Hartz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2002 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HartzSend a Private Message to HartzDirect Link to This Post
There was an interesting editorial in, I think it was this month's Car Craft, about "what defines a Street Car?" Anybody else see it?

They didn't come up with any definites either, but these arguments (er, ah, discussions) kind of reminded me of that article.

Hartz

(Edited to fix basic typing mistakes...)

------------------
'84 SC 5.7L V8
'85 SE 3.1L V6 Turbo
Hartz's Toys

[This message has been edited by Hartz (edited 10-08-2002).]

chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2002 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Actually alot of 10 second cars are very streetable.

Amen!

Time to come up to speed, 10's are very acievable in a street car.

No $hit! I saw a damn snowmobile bust a 6 second quater.

And as far as cars better for fast ETs???
Most of my "muscle car" friends would kill for the kind of traction I get. I drive 200KM to the track getting 30MPG, rip off some mid 12 second ETs and drive home getting 30MPG.

Dunno about the 30mpg. I'm hoping for 20 but still I'll take it!

The fiero is an excellent choice for quarter mile performance. Lots of engine upgrades/swaps available, hella traction, and light weight. Sounds like the perfect drag car to me. The only problem is tranny's and I'd say a 4T60 swap with manual shifting will take care of that.

Couldn't have said that better.

If you are into autocrossing, good for you, some of us aren't. Your BS comments of how Fiero's don't make good drag cars does only one thing. Keep people from building a excellent ET machine.

Not stoping me. You can check my site in the sig for the details Dunno but am pretty confident that I'll give a few a run for their money

Stick to what you know, because you don't know dick about drag racing.
ICY

No need to bash, in his defense he does run a 12 and change quarter.

But I agree with you! I think the Fiero is an AWSOME drag platform. And why can't you have a car that is streetable? I intend on driving my car daily and busting at least 12's but more like 11's AND getting around 20+ to the gallon. The tranny is the weakest link in the equation but I'm working on that as well.

So they say it can't be done. I think it can, do you?

Rob D.

------------------

No motor - Soon to be a bottle fed 383 V8
2.5" Drop
11" Brakes
17" Revolutions
RCC Coilover Suspension
New web site! www.dirtyratracing.org

[This message has been edited by chester (edited 10-08-2002).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2002 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post

Your BS comments of how Fiero's don't make good drag cars does only one thing. Keep people from building a excellent ET machine. Stick to what you know, because you don't know dick about drag racing.
ICY

Just might know quite a bit more than you think! Secondly, if anyone has the knowledge and dreams to attempt to create a 10 second Fiero, nothing said on this Forum is going to stop him or her from doing so.

As far as drag racing goes, been there, done that (started racing in 1967), and held a class record for three consecutive years before it was broke.

Maybe someone can come up with a real trick setup, but I don't think there's going to be much Fiero left in it. Just my opinion, it's going to take a whole lot of money, or it just isn't going to last very long.

You want to talk about friends fast cars....Here's my cousins GTO (not much GTO left in it), runs 8.8 @ 150mph on injected alcohol. Engine alone costs $20,000, prior to this new engine the car was running 9.97 with a $13,000 dollar engine. The under structure is all alum, steel body twice acid dipped with thin fiberglass fenders, and trunk lid. There's about $55,000 invested into that car and it's just good for one thing.

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 10-08-2002).]

lt1 fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2002 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lt1 fieroSend a Private Message to lt1 fieroDirect Link to This Post
hey guys you know where there are any headers larger than 1.5" primary?
chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2002 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKOV:
Seriously, why don't I hear more posts like "How can I make my Fiero handle better?"... and they say the Fast and the Furious had ZERO impact on the "Street scene".

DKOV -

Here you go
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/027932.html

Rob D.

lt1 fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2002 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lt1 fieroSend a Private Message to lt1 fieroDirect Link to This Post
I t doesnt cost much to make an lt1 be able to turn 10's in a fiero, you can do that with 550hp in an f-body so 500 would put you deep into them with out that much invested.
kneebarx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2002 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kneebarxSend a Private Message to kneebarxDirect Link to This Post
I say get a damn Supra!
LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2002 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Direct Link to This Post
I was not bashing California Kid, I know what his car runs, that is why I was surprised to see his post. That post was aimed at the people who immediately jump in with "The fiero is not a good drag car" or "build another car if you want to go fast" and especially to build a fiero that handles for autocrossing. That is your idea of fun, good for you. It is not mine and it is not for the people asking these questions. If you don't have information that is valuable to the person asking the question, and more importantly on subject, don't post anything. It's not that hard. I don't post about autocrossing, you guys don't post on how to make a fast fiero. California Kid's car is impressive and I think that it proves that a car can be built towards autocrossing and still achieve quick ET's.
ICY
LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2002 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Direct Link to This Post

LFiero67

871 posts
Member since Jun 2002
California Kid:
If he is only getting 8's out of that that is pretty sad. Guy I know has a full steel 67-69 Camaro, big block that runs high sevens. No blower just engine and Nitrous. Watched him destroy 9 second streetbikes without running the nitrous and letting off at the end. ICY
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2002 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post

California Kid:
If he is only getting 8's out of that that is pretty sad. Guy I know has a full steel 67-69 Camaro, big block that runs high sevens. No blower just engine and Nitrous. Watched him destroy 9 second streetbikes without running the nitrous and letting off at the end. ICY

It's a "Classed" Bracket Racer that doesn't run full out, the car will run quicker, but not as consistantly. In it's current form and setting his last five runs were each 8.81 with the fifth run being an 8.80. It will do these runs repeatedly without breaking parts which keeps the operating expense minimized and more rewarding. The only thing that beats you with this car is yourself, by catching a bad light. Just added to chute (required at the 150mph mark), so he feels comfortable reducing the dial in time, engine puts out 900hp.

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 10-09-2002).]

PFF
System Bot
LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2002 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Direct Link to This Post
Looks like a cool car, is it street legal? I can't even imagine making a 8 second pass, nevermind a 6 or 4 second pass. The G forces would be unreal. The camaro I was talking about is licensed and insured for street use, although the drives are usually very short. Wouldn't call it a street car but it can legaly drive. Engine makes about 1200HP, nitrous on top of that. It is built for street racing, with up to $5000US on a race the car is a) consistant and b) reliable. I cannot believe how well it hooks on pavement. These guys spend big money on suspension. Watched several of their cars launch from 4000-5000 RPM on ashfault with no tire spin. Just a bit of VHT poured, a burn out and launch. Did I mention they run 10.5" wide slicks? It is pretty cool to watch.
ICY
LT1Guy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2002 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT1GuySend a Private Message to LT1GuyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mach10:
It all depends what you call "streetable." These guys running 10-second muscle usually have stupid rear-ends (4.11-5.66), locked spools (NASTY in turns) and zero gas mileage on race gas...

You call that streetable?

5mpg, NO vacuum at idle, VERY touchy high-stall converter (or chattery clutch), ZERO-emissions compliance...

These do not combine to form what I'd call a "streetable" experience.

However, if you can live with these traits, then yeah, it's "streetable."

I could see where a carbureted V8 Fiero would fit your description, but with todays technology I wouldn't think a 10 second Fiero would be that difficult to build or make streetable. 10 second 5.0 Mustangs and 4th gen F-bodies are commonplace, and quite a few of them will still pass emissions. My 517rwhp Mustang would, and it got decent mileage (high teens). My 400rwhp 97 Camaro SS still got 24mpg, at 85mph with 4.11 gears in the 9" (very streetable with a 6 speed). I would think the driveline would be the main issue...making the power in an emissions friendly, driveable manner would be the easy part.

lt1 fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2002 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lt1 fieroSend a Private Message to lt1 fieroDirect Link to This Post
actually I dont even have to pass emissions, got around it
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2002 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post
I have noticed that alot of people keep on saying that F-body's and Mustangs run 10's easily and are very streetable. I know my fair share of low 10-second cars that are street legal and insured, but none of them are Fiero's.

The point that I'm trying to make is that if the Fiero could be made into a 10-second streetable car with relative low cost (Same price as the F-bods and Mustangs) we would have people on this board who have already done it, just like there are people on their message boards who have already done it.

Like some of the other people who have posted, although the Mid-engine setup and engine availability are the positives about a Fiero in the 1/4, the transmission and cradle structure are pretty big negatives.

Since I've been on this forum, I have seen at least 3 transmission cases spewing out their insides. All of these were connected to 350-450hp V-8's. That kind of power will get you into the 11's, but it doesn't seem to have got anyone near the 10's.

The only relatively cheap transmission option that would probably handle the power needed would be a really beefed-up TH-125 with a high stall converter. And since the only 10-second Fiero that I know of that runs 10's is run with an auto, I would suggest that the auto is the way to go. I don't know if there is any sort of a posi unit for the transimission, but that would help too.

Of course there are a number of possible other transmission options like the porsche transaxle (Which as far as I know, no one has done) some VW 6-speed, and the Toronado transaxle. But, all of these will require the engine to be mounted longitudinally, so that will be quite a bit of added cost and added engineering. Held makes a custom cradle. But, the longitudinal setup also allows for just about any engine setup. You could even go big block!

Thelongitudinal setup will also alter the F/R weight ratio, which would effect street handling. A coilover setup with some stiffer springs would probably offset most of this.

Another problem that I see with a 10second Fiero is the cradle design itself. Much like broken transmission cases, I have also seen broken cradles. There is a guy in upstate New York who had a 750hp v-8 in his Fiero and ended up ripping the mounts clean off the cradle! The cradle isn't designed to handle that much torque.

Solutions to this problem would be to get a custom tubular steel cradle made, or you could find ways to reenforce the original cradle. Once again, this will probably be a costly mod, but to run consistant 10's without breaking anything and also being able to drive it on the street, I think it would be a necessary mod.

Now I will end with saying that it should be possible to build a streetable 10-second Fiero. But I feel that it would cost alot of money (Relative to getting an F-bod or a mustang into the 10's) and it would take alot of engineering to make it reliable pass after pass and also be able to drive you to and from the track.

I would say that building a mid-11-second Fiero could be done fairly easy, but after that, you really start to push many of the Fiero's components past their limits. But a mid-11 second run will beat 90% of the cars out there, and to me, that's fast enough. But if you want to go faster, they hey, give it a shot! Just make sure that you plan carefully.

------------------

SanBerdueFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
User Banned

Report this Post10-09-2002 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SanBerdueFieroSend a Private Message to SanBerdueFieroDirect Link to This Post

I was not bashing California Kid, I know what his car runs, that is why I was surprised to see his post. That post was aimed at the people who immediately jump in with "The fiero is not a good drag car" or "build another car if you want to go fast" and especially to build a fiero that handles for autocrossing. That is your idea of fun, good for you. It is not mine and it is not for the people asking these questions.

>>>>>> If you don't have information that is valuable to the person asking the question, and more importantly on subject, don't post anything. It's not that hard. <<<<<<<<<<

I don't post about autocrossing, you guys don't post on how to make a fast fiero. California Kid's car is impressive and I think that it proves that a car can be built towards autocrossing and still achieve quick ET's.
ICY

This is a general Fiero Forum..If you people who are dreaming about stupid goals want to get real, then do it first..and then post about your sucess. All you are saying here is "that with enough money" anything can be done...so shut up and do it and quit asking how it could be done to people who have already thought about the pro's and cons of what you are dreaming about..
For a streetable car, California Kid's Fiero is a sucess. All that you are suggesting is a race car that pretends to look like a streetable car. See if you can take anything that you are proposing on a 500 mile road trip without blowing it up..Race cars are just that.. and I personally am not appreciative of idiots who want to raise the bar just so that they can be "King of the **** Pile" (after dropping 25 Grand into a 1500 $ car).. No matter what you do, it will still be a "Fiero" ..there are better engineered cars out ther that will do what you are "talking about" without breaking down as much...
..So to repeat..just shut up and do it then come back and tell me about it...

LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2002 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Direct Link to This Post
Wow, that was a helpful post.
ICY

PS thanks for posting that this is a public forum, I guess we can post whatever we want about fieros. You don't have to read it.

[This message has been edited by LFiero67 (edited 10-09-2002).]

LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2002 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Direct Link to This Post

LFiero67

871 posts
Member since Jun 2002
You do not make a reliable 10 second mustang or camaro cheaply. The exact same problems that exist for Fiero's are problems for them. Trannys, Clutches, driveshafts/axles. The reason there is an aftermarket for them to do this "cheaply" is because somebody once upon a time had a "stupid" dream to build a fast car. They needed parts and so they built them, or had them built. Look at the Grand Prixs. 1997 they came out with the 3800SC GTP. There was no aftermarket for them. Now in 2002, because people had a dream to make them faster, there are several companies making parts. There is one GTP running 11.9 seconds with a 3800SC, it weighs 3500LBS. There is a Bonneville which shares the same drivetrain that runs 12.3, and is looking for 11's soon. It weighs 4100lbs. That is enough power to put a fiero into the high 10's-with a V6. They didn't say this is stupid when they broke their flexplates, axles, trannies, they made better ones.

So yes there is a limited after market for fiero's specifically but by borrowing from other car lines eg GTP someone will beable to build a car that is capable of these times. Stop dogging people who want to do it. ICY

LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2002 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Direct Link to This Post

LFiero67

871 posts
Member since Jun 2002
To show my point there are 34 posts in this thread. Only four or five actually respond to the question. I know mine are quite a few but out of the first 10, only 2 or 3 are actually responses that are not jokes or "autocross it". If this was my thread I'd be anoyed. Hell, it's not my thread and I'm anoyed.
ICY
lt1 fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2002 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lt1 fieroSend a Private Message to lt1 fieroDirect Link to This Post
"This is a general Fiero Forum..If you people who are dreaming about stupid goals want to get real, then do it first..and then post about your sucess."
-Ok dipshit, this IS a general forum where we can talk about what ever we want and dont need to consult you about it. And as for this being a "stupid goal", I dont have anywhere to autocross and I sure as hell dont need to carve corners for street driving, BUT you do run into people on the street that want to drag race. Seems to me that building a drag/street car would only be the logical thing to do. And as far as posting after we are done that is just ****ing stupid since WE ARE ASKING FOR HELP TO COMPLETE THE CAR!

"so shut up and do it and quit asking how it could be done to people who have already thought about the pro's and cons of what you are dreaming about"
-If they weighed the pros and cons and still dont like the idea of it I AM PROBABLY NOT POSTING THIS FOR THEM. My solution is dont respond unless its constructive critisism which I accept, not some flamer bashing bashing me for a valid idea I had.

"All that you are suggesting is a race car that pretends to look like a streetable car. See if you can take anything that you are proposing on a 500 mile road trip without blowing it up..Race cars are just that.. "
-I am suprised anyone could be so ignorant. As long as its intended to run on the street and it works like its suppose to you can drive it as far as you'd ****ing like with out "blowing up". Someones watched The fast and the furious a few too many times. And it will be a race car AND a street car, why the **** couldnt you have both?

"and I personally am not appreciative of idiots who want to raise the bar just so that they can be "King of the **** Pile"
-I would like to raise the bar to 10 seconds because I want a really ****ing fast car and I dont see why I am an idiot for it. To each his own and this is what I want so if its not what you want you dont have to appreciate it, ITS NOT YOUR GOD DAMN CAR.

"(after dropping 25 Grand into a 1500 $ car).. No matter what you do, it will still be a "Fiero" ..there are better engineered cars out ther that will do what you are "talking about" without breaking down as much...
-no there are DIFFERENT cars out there that will break down JUST AS OFTEN if the proper measures arent accounted for. As far as the "talking about" bullshit, of course you talk about **** before you build it.

"..So to repeat..just shut up and do it then come back and tell me about it...

"
-I wont shut up and I will do it.

And to repeat... I dont think I need to confirm it with you.

p.s.-LFiero67 this is annoying. I'll figure this out yet.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock