Torsen LSD Intall Advice by Matt Hawkins
Started on: 10-07-2002 10:37 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: crazyd on 10-09-2002 03:53 PM
Matt Hawkins

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2002 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
I lucked upon a Torsen LSD from a FWD Olds. I have read all of the horror stories from people who have used them and broken them in Fiero transmissions. I think I know why the failures are occuring and how they can be prevented. This LSD has a pretty high torque bias. This allows for a substantial amount of torque to be transfered to the wheel with more traction. In the FWD application, an axle extension tube is used to give almost equal length CV shafts. The diff is designed with that extension as a critical bearing load piece. When used in the standard Fiero setup, the gearset is not supported properly and can move around. When the LSD begins to "engage", the axle on the right chatters due to the movement. I think this is what was causing the diff failures. I have installed Rodney's axle bearings and this has made a huge difference. While these diffs aren't widely available, I think it is a viable option for a LSD.

Matt
3.4l DOHC Turbo

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
artherd

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2002 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
I've been impressed with your work so far!

Keep us posted!

PS: do you think there'd be a way to modify, or build easially new, a 30-40% or so bias on accell part?

Best!
Ben.

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top, Metalic Red. (2:13.138 at Sears Point) "Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
88 Formula, Northstar, Silver, In-Progreess. -Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2002 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
You might be able to get somewhere with a solid lubricant coating on the cross gears. I have no idea how long that would last. Making a new diff would be very expensive, as it would require custom cross gears with a different helix angle.

Just try using an extension shaft. Modify your engine mount bracket to clear the CV joint and use the 16 1/4" axle shaft from a Grand Prix.

crazyd

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2002 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
Is this for the "cool" factor, or are you seriously having traction problems? I used to think it would be a good idea, but if I can stand on first gear with a 430hp engine and not break traction, it's just overkill.

Dave

------------------

- Electron Blue '88 GT 5-speed ZZ430 Ram-Port FI--
Wanna Race? Follow it here on the Forum!
- Silver '88 GT 5-speed (1 of 139) w/cammed 3.4
- '98 6-speed Corvette Coupe, '87 Coupe SOLD!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock