3.4l DOHC Turbo Finally Alive by Matt Hawkins
Started on: 10-01-2002 10:49 PM
Replies: 65
Last post by: Predator on 12-02-2002 08:20 AM
Matt Hawkins

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2002 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
I finally got my Turbo 3.4l TDC project running. I am using a T3 turbo specially machined for a T4 compressor wheel. The intercooler is from an SVO Mustang with the inlet moved for better fit. Engine management is being done with a Haltech E6K. The intake is custom made with a carbon fiber top cover. The exhaust is all stainless featuring custom headers and crossover (special thanks to Steve Hamm). Let me know what you think!

Sorry about the picture size.

Matt Hawkins
86 GT, 5-speed
87 GT, 5-speed 3.4l DOHC Turbo

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2002 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
Great job! How does it run?
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2002 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
It has only been running for a couple of days, but it is running pretty well. I am running everything really rich until I get things sorted on the dyno. Currently I am limiting myself to 4 psi of boost, but I don't know how long I can wait to turn up the boost! I hope to have it running fairly well in the next couple weeks for a final run at the strip before the weather goes south. I will keep everyone updated.

Matt

G-Nasty

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2002 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for G-NastyClick Here to visit G-Nasty's HomePageSend a Private Message to G-NastyDirect Link to This Post
unbelievably bad-ass Matt-I've heard of that Hamm guy too. You have an xxxcellent setup. Should be a screamer. 6-8 psi would be cool. Who made the intake box?
OUT>
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2002 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post
My thoughts upon seeing those pictures was "Holy $hit!"

Congrats man. That is one mean lookin setup!

------------------

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2002 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
G-Nasty - I made the upper intake box out of aluminum and welded it up. The lower intake manifold and fuel rail are the stock pieces. After reading on a web page how to make carbon fiber panels, I gave it a try with good results. Steve Hamm and I went to school together, and yes he does excellent work.

Matt

IROC

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2002 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IROCSend a Private Message to IROCDirect Link to This Post
Oh hold on for one sec...................Yes I just blew my load. Holy crap kid thats awesome looking. I plan on putting a 2.8 with a 3.1 crank and gen2 splayed valve heads in my Fiero. Then I'm going to turbo it with a T-3/4 running about 8-10PSI. I'm expecting with a mild cam and all the other mods to see around 240Hp hopefuly if everything goes as planned.
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2002 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
More photos. I mounted the Haltech in the stock ECU location. The reason I chose the Haltech E6K was the compatability with the stock ignition module and coils. I wanted as much OEM reliability as possible. I also made a new gauge pod cluster using carbon.

fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2002 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
looks kick ass. Should be a screamer. Where did you get those 3 to 1 header collectors? I like those better than mine.
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2002 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
fieroX - The collectors were made by a shop in Cleveland. They swage stainless pipe out to the size you want. Very reasonable prices and 304 stainless as a bonus. I will get the info and post it.

Matt

newfie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2002 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfieSend a Private Message to newfieDirect Link to This Post
Whoa, that’s almost exactly what I was thinking about doing. Did you have much trouble getting the haltech to work with the DOHC? Also what did you do to the motor to handle the boost? I’d like to see more pics of the actual turbo/intercooler setup to see how you fit everything in there. How much HP you expecting? Those headers and crossover look good, any chance of him making more? Guess I’m gonna have to get moving on my DOHC swap. Look forward to hearing about your progress.
PFF
System Bot
Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post10-02-2002 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
Looks AWSOME!

Now, you've got to participate in the carbon and turbo threads

------------------

DreXteR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2002 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DreXteRClick Here to visit DreXteR's HomePageSend a Private Message to DreXteRDirect Link to This Post
You have more pics of the installation??

Some other members and me are trying to compile all the info possible to do a 3.4 DOHC Swap center. In there we want to make a full swap procedure and instructions. 5 members including my self are in the swap but need more help to finish it.

You can email me all that you can share about the swap and if you want to share the turbo setup it will be very welcome.

drexter@centennialpr.net

Thanx
DreX

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2002 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
newfie - The Haltech was relatively simple other than an ECU issue encountered when using the GM coilpack ignition. A pull-up resistor needs to be removed from the Haltech ECU board in order for it to work. I can e-mail you offline with the details if you want. I was also very meticulous with the wiring as I wanted it to be OEM reliable. There is nothing worse than an electrical gremlin keeping you from running the car. As far as the engine goes, I rebuilt it with hypereutectic pistons and ARP bolts everywhere I could. I did some combustion chamber port work on the heads to slightly lower compression and polish out any sharp edges that may cause detonation. Also, you can't reliably run boost on a higher compression engine without good control, hence the Haltech. I am looking to put out about 350 HP. This should be attainable at relatively low boost levels (7-8) psi with optimum tuning. Also, I am running 38 lb/hr injectors which are too big, but I had them laying around. I will post more pictures of the intercooler/turbo layout tonight. I am sure Steve would build more of these exhaust setups, but they aren't cheap. I had about $500 in stainless tubing and collectors alone and that doesn't include any labor.

Matt

1FST2M6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2002 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1FST2M6Click Here to visit 1FST2M6's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1FST2M6Direct Link to This Post
if your eve in the atlanta area let me know.. we'll dyno that thing for ya! how is your air/fuel, you running a rising rate FPR or have you tuned the E6 to run a larger pulse width?
nice job!

------------------

YES.. for the Last time.. 18s will fit on your Fiero.. SEE...

[This message has been edited by 1FST2M6 (edited 10-02-2002).]

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2002 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
1fst2m6 - I am running stupid rich right now until I get it on the dyno with a wide-band O2 sensor. I work for Bosch, so getting the O2 sensor is easy and the Haltech can input a wideband for tuning purposes. I will sort out the driveability issues around town using the data log feature. I am not using a rising rate FPR. I have a 2 bar MAP sensor and control timing and fuel with the Haltech. I will let everyone know the dyno and track numbers when I get them.

Matt

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2002 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post

Matt Hawkins

586 posts
Member since Oct 2000
Oops, double post.

[This message has been edited by Matt Hawkins (edited 10-02-2002).]

FieroRacer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2002 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRacerClick Here to visit FieroRacer's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRacerDirect Link to This Post
It looks as if the intercooler is piped into the fresh air intake tracl to the turbo?

You can get better intercooling results if you are able to get the intercooler between the Turbo output and the throttle body. Cooler charge with less chance of pinging.

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2002 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
i've been playing some with everything but the engine. pics like these make me want to start learning. looks good.

------------------
Phil T.

start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2002 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRacer:
It looks as if the intercooler is piped into the fresh air intake tracl to the turbo?

You can get better intercooling results if you are able to get the intercooler between the Turbo output and the throttle body. Cooler charge with less chance of pinging.

Going out on a limb, here. I think... Maybe... just maybe... he knows a little teeny tiny bit about how to put a turbo system together.

I also think you need to take a closer look at the picture.

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2002 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliment Will. No I don't have the intercooler plumbed into the intake of the turbo. The outlet of the turbo disappears under the intercooler and you can't see it well from that photo. I moved the inlet on the intercooler to better fit the car. I will post better picturs of that setup tonight.

Matt

PFF
System Bot
1FST2M6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2002 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1FST2M6Click Here to visit 1FST2M6's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1FST2M6Direct Link to This Post
-FieroRacer-

man... i sure hope your joking...

----------
thats killer! it's nice to see somone else out there that knows how to tune and not just throw parts at a vehicle.

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2002 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
DAM, another one beat me to it. GRR.
Anyway, What do you have for compression?? what version (year) DOHC/TDC?

------------------
Matt D
1984 Indy Fiero 4sp.
1985 2m4 now equipt with a 1996 3.4 DOHC.

Hartz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2002 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HartzSend a Private Message to HartzDirect Link to This Post
Awesome looking setup!!! If you ever hit any of the local shows, let me know - I'd love to see it in person and hear more about it!

Great job!!!

Hartz

------------------
'84 SC 5.7L V8
'85 SE 3.1L V6 Turbo
Hartz's Toys

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2002 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Really nice looking setup. As for the Haltech they make a GM compatible model which will have a similar pinouts to the Fiero ECM. I believe that you need to swap about 4 or six wires to do this. Removing the connector pins is not easy as you may have alreay found out, but replacement ECM connector pins that can be crimped on the wires are available in the aftermarket. I believe that Standard Motor Parts lists them.
As for the Haltech, it looks to have a very friendly but DOS only program. I have heard that the Haltech is difficult to program. How are you finding it?

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo Best 0-60 5.2 seconds
http://turbofiero.fierojoe.com/turbo.htm

The Aura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2002 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraDirect Link to This Post
WOW!!!!
fieroman_5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2002 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroman_5000Send a Private Message to fieroman_5000Direct Link to This Post
I have but one question...how much did it set you back?

Fieroman

------------------

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2002 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Answers to many questions.

Fieroblessed - Not sure on compression, just a bit lower than stock. It is a 95 engine.

Hartz - Your 5.7l V8 car was built in my garage in college. I went to school with Marcus. I am sure we will run into each other at a show.

Dennis - The E6GM is not compatible with the 3.4l TDC engine. It is with the stock engine though. Tuning isn't too difficult, but you need to know what you are doing.

Fieroman_5000 - I have kept all receipts for everything I bought. Including the car, wheels and tires, engine....everything, I will have about $7500 in the project.

I didn't forget about the pics of the intercooler setup, I've just been busy. I will post them soon.

Matt

Krashdavus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2002 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KrashdavusSend a Private Message to KrashdavusDirect Link to This Post
Matt: Excellent work. Hot Rodding in the true sense of the word. Say,I get to Pontiac every couple of weeks for business (GM). Can you take me for a spin once you get the bugs out of it?
fieroman_5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2002 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroman_5000Send a Private Message to fieroman_5000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Matt Hawkins:
Fieroman_5000 - I have kept all receipts for everything I bought. Including the car, wheels and tires, engine....everything, I will have about $7500 in the project.

Matt

Sorry to be a pain but how much is invested in the swap? Excuding the car wheels etc.
Thanks...

Fieroman

------------------

coinball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2002 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coinballSend a Private Message to coinballDirect Link to This Post
what size injectors are you using? if they are the stock ones, do you know what size the stock ones are. i have a 91-93 motor without any injectors, and i'm trying to figure out what to buy? thanks.

------------------
Eric
'87 GT 5-speed Gold/Tan
3.4 TDC + NOS on the way summer of '03

PFF
System Bot
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2002 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Krashdavus - No problem. Shoot me an e-mail sometime and let me know when you will be in town. Give me a few weeks, but I should be ready then.

fieroman_5000 - I probably have $5000 in the engine swap. This may sound high, but that is for everything. Torsen diff, new clutch, engine purchase and rebuild, Haltech, turbo, exhaust, small parts, 486 trips to AutoZone, etc.....

coinball - I am using 38 lb/hr injectors. I would like to use 30 or 32s, but I had these for free. The 38s will support 450 HP and I don't plan on making that much. The stock injectors from a 1995 engine are ~23-34 lb/hr. I am not sure if all years had the same size. If you are interested, I have the set from my engine that I am not using and would sell. Let me know.

Matt

[This message has been edited by Matt Hawkins (edited 10-03-2002).]

coinball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2002 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coinballSend a Private Message to coinballDirect Link to This Post
how much do you want for them, i plan on using a 7th injector to act as an intercooler, plus i won't have to deal with the plumbing issues of an intercooler. also how exactly did you make the upper intake manifold, any pics of it? did you hack up a stock upper manifold just to get the mounting surface then weld a box on top of it? LMK about the injectors, you can reply here or PM me or email me, whatever is easier. thanks.

------------------
Eric
'87 GT 5-speed Gold/Tan
3.4 TDC + NOS on the way summer of '03

88formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2002 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88formulaClick Here to visit 88formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88formulaDirect Link to This Post
Incredible! What a nice job! You really did you homework on this engine. I can’t say enough good things about it. Very nice!

------------------

Wipe0ut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2002 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wipe0utClick Here to visit Wipe0ut's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wipe0utDirect Link to This Post
That's AMAZING.
Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2002 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
Um....wow! Nice job!
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2002 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
More pics as promised. Ignore the hose connectors as these pics were taken before the silicone connectors arrived from Innovative Turbo. The crossover is 304 stainless just like the headers.

Matt

crazyd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2002 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
The 3.4 DOHC is a really cool engine, I've been thinking about doing one in my silver GT, but NA because the blue one is the megapower monster of the two. It's also nice to have someone so knowledgeable on these engines on the Forum. You've gotta put that thing on a dyno, Matt!

Dave

newfie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2002 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfieSend a Private Message to newfieDirect Link to This Post
I want to bump this post back to the top just because I love the look of that thing. The only thing That I might do different on my own is the intake. I know it’s a custom job and the carbon is very cool but how much design did you put into the shape. It kinda just looks like a rectangle box. I know from being on a FSAE team at the university that a lot of design and aerodynamics goes into making the intake to achieve the best flow on our FSAE car. Might help you gain a few more ponies by changing the shape of that thing to flow better. Just a thought, not trying to trash anyone as I am very jealous and look forward to seeing more pics and hearing about the performance.
bHooper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2002 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bHooperSend a Private Message to bHooperDirect Link to This Post
very nice work. this kinda thing makes me want to do the dohc swap.

man i need to make up my mind and go for it.

------------------
hoop
Red
'86 GT
5 speed
Borla Exhaust
Eibach's/Poly/Kyb's

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C