Started on: 12-09-2002 12:15 AM
Replies: 7
Last post by: arte444 on 12-11-2002 06:58 PM
sanderson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2002 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post
I'm considering a Quad 4 swap into my '84. I see from Web that remanufactured long blocks can be purchased for the Vin "A" Quad 4 which is apparently the desired high output version.

If I were to find a Vin "D" parts car what could I swap over to the new long block and what would be left to find?

Or better yet does anyone know where to source a HO Quad 4 for the needed parts and to turn-in for core to the engine remanufacturer?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2002 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post
I would think long and hard about the quad 4. I have heard people talk about how great they are, however, between 88 and 92 the engine had an 11% head gasket failure rate (4% is considered excessive). If you are a mechanic and can replace it, go for it, otherwise, I would go for the V6....Paul
SplineZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2002 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SplineZClick Here to visit SplineZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to SplineZDirect Link to This Post
Ouch that kinda sucks.. What about finding a copper gasket?
Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2002 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post
The main difference between the LO and HO are cams, computer, and the pistons. The LO has a cr of 9:1 (IIRC) and the HO is 10:1. In some cases they had different intake and exhaust manifolds, also.

If you get an LO, you can just swap the cams and computer to HO spec and get a good increase in power. I'd just spend some time looking at the junkyards, LO's are a dime a dozen, but HO's are a little tougher to get. 90-92 were the best years.

The majority of head gasket failures was due to a run of improperly stamped head gaskets that GM got. It's tough to find a quad that hasn't already had a new head gasket put on, but if you have any doubts you can get a fel-pro head gasket kit for about 110 bucks.

You can also get brand new HO crate engines from www.mantapart.com for 2-3,000..

------------------

1988 Quad 4 Coupe 5 speed
More pics of the coupe
1986 GT 5 speed, 1984 SC Auto
AOL: LastMinuteBastrd AIM: SavedbyJebus

sanderson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2002 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post
I talked to Grooms Engines (highly recommended by Fiero factory) and they will do a rebuilt HO quad 4 long block for a reasonable price with an 18 month unlimited mileage warranty. So I need to come up with an engine to scavenge manifolds, TB, sensors, ECM, wiring harness, accessories etc. I'll work the junkyard angle to see what I find.

The Manta site looks interesting but I didn't see that they did long blocks

rejuvinated

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2002 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rejuvinatedClick Here to visit rejuvinated's HomePageSend a Private Message to rejuvinatedDirect Link to This Post
If you're looking to get a long block, you might want to try Pep Boys for one of their "ProBuilt" motors. I understand they have a 36 month, unlimited mileage warranty. Remember though, unless you have a core, you'll have to pay the core price also.
FierOmar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2002 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post
You might want to check with Greg Duncan in the Tucson area. He was offering the Quad 4 that he has used for AutoX (built by Manta) for the last 2-3 years. I saw the car run at San Diego last year... very impressive. Price seemed to be reasonable. I believe Greg is on the Fiero Racing List, or perhaps George Ryan (Cadero) can provide contact information.

------------------
FierOmar

arte444

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2002 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post
My brother owned a 1992 Grand Am with a QUAD 4 SOHC and the head gasket failed around 110,000. He took it in for an estimate at a local auto shop and they said $1000 ! but luckily we found some guy to do it for $500 and then sold the car shortly after because the same problem can occur in another 30,000 miles or less.
You can check my favorite site www.carsurvey.com and see what they have to say about cars. More specifically check 92 grand am's.

------------------
-Kyle
Aim: Littlechugger
1987 Fiero Notchback 4cyl.
1990 POS Cavalier

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay