Axle length for extension tube? by Matt Hawkins
Started on: 06-08-2003 10:50 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: Matt Hawkins on 06-11-2003 08:57 PM
Matt Hawkins

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2003 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
So I have put almost 4000 miles on my 3.4l DOHC turbo swap with a Torsen diff installed. As some know, I did a 2000 mile trip for the HotRod Power Tour with no problems. The next day after returning on my way to work, the passenger side axle popped out. I have since taken the axle out and investigated the reason. It appears that since the Torsen was designed to go into a FWD trans with the extension tube, there is no groove cut for the axle retention ring on the passenger side. It appears I was operating on pure luck for the trip. So now I need to know the axle length needed if you are using the extension shaft. Also, does anyone have an extension tube they want to sell from a FWD getrag swap? Thanks.

Matt

------------------
86 GT, 5-Speed
87 GT, 3.4l DOHC Turbo

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fierobsessed

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
What kind of getrag is it? 282 or 284?because all 282's have unequal axle lengths afaik. But the 284's im not so sure. If your using a 284, it will be hard for us to give you a hand with selecting the right axle for it, because Its very rare to see a Fiero with a 3.4 dohc, let alone a 284.
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
I am using the 282. The FWD 282 used an aluminum extension tube that made the two shafts more equal length. It was bolted to the passenger side where the axle came out ot the diff. That is what the three threaded bolt holes are for. I believe it was also supported on the other end somehow to the block. Since this is bolted solidly to the trans, there was no need to have a retention groove for a snap ring in the diff. This was accomadated in the extension tube. I want (need) to use the extension shaft if I want to use the Torsen. I think there are a few people on the list that may have this same "equal length" setup.

Matt

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
I've seen pictures of it done. Do a search for a guy named CF in the mall. He was selling a red formula with a SBC and he had this ext. tube on it.

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com Support Mental Health, or I'll Kill Ya!!
Yellow Formula Signature

• 88 Yellow FORMULA-undergoing ZZ3 350 with Accel 1000CFM Street Ram TPI and Gen VI DFI=345HP/390TQ
  • chevy S10 Parts Fetcher-getting a new engine to haul my fieros(and others)
  • 87SE V6 auto-L4 to V6 done, Daily Driver
  • My Shower Cam
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
On all the FWD Getrags I have seen the extension axle in the housing is retained with the same style spring ring as the standard Fiero axle. I see no reason the Torsen Dif, would be different. If so there would have to be a device to hold it from coming out of the extension tube. I doubt GM made a special device to hold one side in and have the drivers side the same as the standard dif just for the Torsen. I have to think there is a grove in there to retain the pass. side axle.
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
I agree. I am saying that the Torsen doesn't have the ring groove internally on the passenger side. Since the axle extension tube is bolted to the trans, they must not of needed one in the diff. The axle that goes into the extension will certainly have a snap ring groove.

Matt

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
Thats how honda does it, and Im sure many other manufacturers too. They have no snap ring on the half shaft into the tranny and they do have a snap ring and groove on the axle side. A possibility is to measure the length that the half shaft takes up, and subtract that from the stock long fiero axle (when its fully compressed) take that measurement, and either come here with it, or take it to your local (and friendly) parts dealer, Im sure there is an axle from some FWD GM car that will interchange. On a guess, I'd say to look for a passenger side axle for a 91 cavalier Z24 with the 5 speed getrag, it just might fit, and there relativly easy to get. Worst case, its too short.
LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but does Anyone have a picture of one of these extension tubes????? You guys have me thinking

------------------
LS1 v8 T-Top 87 GT

http://ls1swap.tripod.com/

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
I have several of each kind. The overall length of the shaft is 17" on both types. The one toward the top of the picture is a live shaft with a support bearing and bracket on the outter end, it does not bolt to the trans in any way. It is a much heavier axle. The other one is the one you described. Both types do have a spring clip on the end that goes into the diff. Let me know if you need one.
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Rockcrawl,

The bottom one is the one I am looking for, but the heft of the top one interests me. Let me know how much you want for both. Thanks.

Matt

HarryG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HarryGSend a Private Message to HarryGDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Matt Hawkins:

So now I need to know the axle length needed if you are using the extension shaft.

Is your trans in the stock position? If so, you might ask the guys who run the Pylon Python auto-X car. (Greg Duncan and Tom [?])
When they first put the car together with a 4.9/Getrag and Torsen, they used the intermediate axle. Seems to me they were able to use stock-length Fiero axles by juggling the CV joints (female end on the passenger side to engage the intermed. axle).

PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
It's been a while since I thought about this...

I tried the setup in my car using the axles that came from the Beretta I got the transmission out of. The right side Beretta axle is 2" too short. I looked through an axle intechange manual, and I *think* that you'll need a 16-16&1/4" shaft (the shaft by itself, not including CV joints) for the right side. I believe that A-bodies used this shaft on the left. I got all the parts I thought I needed but I never put the setup together because I screwed up the rear manifold on my Northstar such that it wouldn't clear the CV joint on the extension shaft.

If I ever get around to fixing the manifold and changing to the extension shaft, I'll post what's required.

I don't think the thickness of the type II shaft matters, because it uses the same splines, which are significantly smaller than the body of the shaft. If you've got enough oomph to break axles, you'll break them where they're weakest anyway.

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info Will. I am heading to the junkyard this weekend and will try to get all the parts needed to complete. The owner is a family friend so I should be able to scour the interchange books and come up with something that works. I will let everyone know the results.

Matt

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock