Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Took 3.4l DOHC Turbo to the dyno today (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Took 3.4l DOHC Turbo to the dyno today by Matt Hawkins
Started on: 06-29-2003 11:13 PM
Replies: 65
Last post by: D-Ri2k4 on 07-23-2003 04:07 PM
Matt Hawkins

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2003 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Well I finally got my 3.4l DOHC turbo car to the dyno today. After tuning with a wideband O2 sensor. I got 280 HP and 325 lb-ft at the wheels. With a 15% loss, that's ~330 HP and 382 lb-ft at the crank. Who said turbo cars don't make torque and are peaky? That torque peak is at 3600 RPM. Not until 5700 RPM does the engine torque drop below 300 lb-ft. Horsepower peak is at ~5800 RPM. I shut down at 6300 RPM and the engine was still making 300 HP. All this was with 9 psi of boost. Next time I head to the dyno (sometime before the 20th show), I will be packing more boost with the goal of 300+ HP at the wheels.

Matt

PS - Steve Hamm had his turbo car there as well. With the wick turned up to ~17 psi, he put down 340 HP at the wheels. That's 400 at the crank. He has a heavily massaged 2.8l engine with a T3/T4 hybrid.

------------------
86 GT, 5-Speed
87 GT, 3.4l DOHC Turbo
95 BMW M3
02 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rhino88gt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2003 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rhino88gtClick Here to visit Rhino88gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to Rhino88gtDirect Link to This Post
OMG!!!!!!!!! man, please tell me you kept some info on how you installed the turbo on a DOHC!!! about how much did the setup cost you??? these are the usual questions i know but i have been REALLY wanting to do that type of setup. oh yeah and did you keep track of part numbers?? keep up the goooood work!!!
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 398
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2003 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
not bad, we finally got a dyno in our town, im anxious to try it out the V8 car
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Have a look at the dyno sheet. Excuse the noise at the top end. That is what really out of balance tires do to the dyno. This is without any filtering.

Matt

[This message has been edited by Matt Hawkins (edited 06-30-2003).]

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post
Those are some impressive #'s!! Great Job!!

------------------
~~Steve~~
~~SmoothGT~~

SmoothFieroGT@Yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by Smoooooth GT (edited 06-30-2003).]

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Matt:

Do you have any pics of your engine and turbo set up? Any additional info would be great too!

Very nice numbers!

Sour

Rhino88gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rhino88gtClick Here to visit Rhino88gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to Rhino88gtDirect Link to This Post
I 2nd that DEFINATELY!!! more info PLEASE!!
stevenrossi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stevenrossiSend a Private Message to stevenrossiDirect Link to This Post
Give us some info on your swap please!

Thanks

Steve-O

------------------

Phil86SE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Phil86SESend a Private Message to Phil86SEDirect Link to This Post
Thats impressive,

what is the weight of the car with this engine in it?

good job and all the best!
-Phil

------------------

86 SE V6 under constuction
Rate me if i am of assitance please, thank you...

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Matt Hawkins:
I got 280 HP and 325 lb-ft at the wheels. With a 15% loss, that's ~330 HP and 382 lb-ft at the crank.

You running a Getrag? Not to rain on your parade, but loss through that is more like 10% or less.

85frankenstein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85frankensteinClick Here to visit 85frankenstein's HomePageSend a Private Message to 85frankensteinDirect Link to This Post
Matt,

Very nice set of numbers there bud!!! Congrats! You have one of the nicest installs I've seen yet! Can't wait to see the #s with the turbo cranked up a bit!

Bob

PFF
System Bot
GT40Guy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT40GuySend a Private Message to GT40GuyDirect Link to This Post
I am in Mt Clemens. Want to swap cars for a couple of days?

Seriously, very impressive numbers. I would love to see more info on your car. Maybe this could be a next step for my DOHC. Can't imagine how fast the revs would build with my 4.10 4 speed!

Steven

Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
Great job Matt!!,
I can imagine how it feels driving, I love mine (88 3.4DOHC, 4.10 fourspeed). I really like your setup!!
SanBerdueFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
User Banned

Report this Post06-30-2003 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SanBerdueFieroSend a Private Message to SanBerdueFieroDirect Link to This Post

...PS - Steve Hamm had his turbo car there as well. With the wick turned up to ~17 psi, he put down 340 HP at the wheels. That's 400 at the crank. He has a heavily massaged 2.8l engine with a T3/T4 hybrid.

NOW this is a "how to" build that I want to see ..pictures ..tuning issues ..ect ..ect... Please???
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
While I'm impressed by the 3.4 (and jealous) Lets get some info on that 2.8!! In the process of building a turbo 2.8 myself...

------------------

--1986 SE V6, Wild Custom Notchback
--1984 SE Modified Notchback

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
3.4l DOHC Turbo:

Hypereutectic pistons
ARP Bolts
Ported and polished combustion chambers
Custom Intake
38 lb/hr injectors
T3 turbo with compressor housing machined for T04B 46 trim wheel
Blow off valve from 1st gen Eclipse
SVO Mustang intercooler with moved inlet
ClutchNet six puck sprung hub disc
Torsen diff in 282 Getrag/Muncie
Haltech E6K programmable fuel injection
Custom 304 stainless headers and crossover
Flowmaster 40 series stainless muffler

2.8l Turbo:

Custom forged pistons
H-beam SBC rods
ARP bolts everywhere
Custom block girdle
O-ringed block
Ported and polished heads with stainless valves
1.6 roller rockers
Erson custom turbo grind cam
Ported and matched intake
Bored throttle body
T3/T4 hybrid turbo with TO4E 50 trim wheel, ball bearing
External wastegate
1st gen Eclipse blow off valve
SVO Intercooler
ClutchNet 6 puck sprung clutch
Custom 321 Stainless headers and crossover
DynoMax race muffler
Accel DFI programmable fuel injection
MSD 6-AL Ignition

Matt

PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Impressive numbers and list of parts. Can you tell me or post a pic of the Intercooler mounting?

------------------

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
I will try to post some pics tonight at home. The firewall at work won't let me. The weights are listed below.

3.4l DOHC. This is a 1987 GT. It weighed 2870 on the scales. 1215 lbs on the front axle. The rear was 1655 lbs.

2.8l Turbo. This started life as an 84 auto. It now has 85 GT fascias. It weighed 2820. I can't remember the distribution, but it was close to the same ratio.

We will both have our cars at the 20th. See you then.

Matt

hoola47

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hoola47Send a Private Message to hoola47Direct Link to This Post
Any #'s?
I mean it's been said that the 2.8 is not really a competitive engine, but with this list of mods etc. what do you suspect it will pull 1/4 mile range?
0-60 mph?
I know #'s arn't everything and people will just shrug this statement off, but I feel reluctant to put thousands into a 2.8 if it will barely reach high 13's.
Any idea on performance?

------------------
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
Auto, soon to be 5 spd Getrag from 88 z24, 0-60 high 8's. Good: Love the car, and has potential. Bad: needs work.
Bought for 2500$.

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
We will both be running at Milan for the 20th show. Both cars should be in the 12s. I have run mine at Milan before the dyno and got 13.3 @ 103. That was with a 2.0s 60 foot time. With a hard launch, that setup should have nudged the 12s. I have since picked up power via tuning and should be easily in the 12s next time. I won't speculate how far. Rather I will let the slips speak for themselves on the 18th!

Matt

kslish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kslishSend a Private Message to kslishDirect Link to This Post
Holy cow....Steve is now my new 2.8L turbo idol. Is that thing calm enough to be everyday street drivable or is it just an all out power motor that isn't well behaved?

Ken S.
'87 GT turbo

(anxiously awaiting for pics of both cars)

PFF
System Bot
87gt5speed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87gt5speedSend a Private Message to 87gt5speedDirect Link to This Post
Out-damn-standing!!! I am happy to hear about that 2.8!!! I always was curious just what could be done.....sweeeet. Pushrods and all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
---"Didn't those catch fire?"---
---"Why didn't you get an MR2?"---
---"The engine is WHERE?"---
---Liking Fiero's is a lonely business---

HYPTNOTiSE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
User Banned

Report this Post06-30-2003 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HYPTNOTiSEClick Here to visit HYPTNOTiSE's HomePageSend a Private Message to HYPTNOTiSEDirect Link to This Post
Matt those are really good numbers especially for using such a small turbo.

I am very impressed and pat you on the back for getting some dyno numbers and running it at the track too. Good to see its not a trailor queen and that you like to drive it hard.

If you so choose to in the future I would upgrade to a t3/4 as well and use a larger compressor wheel. You can still run 9 psi but make more power as the larger wheel will flow more air at less boost and thus making more power. THat engine can make 400 hp with the right turbo with no buildup.

Yea Steve Hamm knows what to do. He has a monster for a 2.8. Its the larger turbo that just flows a ton of air on the top end allowing big numbers but still produce good low end torque off the line

Good numbers Matt. Keep up the good work with your fiero.

------------------
Mike LeCompte
86 Fiero GT 3.2L w/ Nitrous

SAVE THE SHAUN

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
is this why Turbochargers are better than superchargers?!

------------------
1985 Fiero SE
Plain Red V6 Coupe

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
kslish - Steve's car is very driveable. He drove it from Cleveland to Detroit and back just to put it on the dyno.

HYPTNOTiSE - I am running a T4 wheel right now, just in a T3 housing (specially machined by Turbonetics). A true T3/T4 hybrid like Steve's would be a bit more efficient at higher boost levels, but I am in the meat of the efficiency map right now. The turbo is quoted by Turbonetics as being good for up to 375 HP.

Pyrthian - In a word, yes! Can you tell I love turbochargers yet?!?

Matt

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post

Matt Hawkins

586 posts
Member since Oct 2000
As promised.

More on the way.

Matt

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Nice intake. Nice work.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
Lets see the 2.8...pictures!!

------------------
87 Fiero GT (Rotrex Supercharger)
Rebuilding Engine! Check Website under FIERO REBUILD!
WWW.angelfire.com/pa5/davidfiero/

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
I will get some pics of Steve's 2.8l turbo car this weekend in Cleveland.

Matt

85frankenstein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85frankensteinClick Here to visit 85frankenstein's HomePageSend a Private Message to 85frankensteinDirect Link to This Post
Nice Pics there Matt!! Though, did you change the plenum top? And who's sig do I see on top of it?
OutlawFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OutlawFieroClick Here to visit OutlawFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to OutlawFieroDirect Link to This Post
wow, nice job Matt. I have asked about your turbo set-up in the past, and am glad to see it doing well. Having both these cars with such high hp makes me wonder if one is better than the other. I will be interested to see what the 2.8 does for 1/4 mile when you take them both to the track. I know the 3.4 TDC will do well.

------------------
Help, Someone has lit a Fiero in my a#@!

PFF
System Bot
GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
Matt-

Nice work! I'm at the beginning of this project that you're finishing up. I have a 91 TDC engine on the floor in my garage and I'm debating whether or not to build it for turbo. I will be totally happy with 300HP and I'm sure I can build it N/A to that power level. Hindsight being 20/20, do you have any insights that would sway my opinion one way or the other? I can get a turbo from a Grand National for $150.00 from a friend and build from there, OR I can go the traditional route and raise the compression, P&P the heads, adjust the exhaust valves, and have headers made. Do you have any advice (other than power levels) as to why turbocharging would be superior to the N/A route? ie: easier, cheaper, more reliable, etc... Thanks and nice work!

-Rick Stewart

[This message has been edited by GT (edited 06-30-2003).]

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
85frankenstein - I had to remove the carbon fiber top cover due to bulging under heat. The signature is from Jon Moss of GM. He signed it when I was on the HotRod Power Tour.

OutlawFiero - Thanks. Yes both these cars make good power. Currently Steve's car will be much faster with the power he is making. I hope to be up to ~325 HP at the wheels for the dragrace at the 20th event. I am leary of going any higher with the engine internals I have. The big thing I worry about are the main caps walking under load. When I have the engine out this winter, I plan on making a block girdle for my engine too.

GT - I obviously really like turbos. I wanted one on the 3.4l because I thought it would be cool. While you can probably get 300 HP N/A with mods. You aren't going to make much more torque. If anything, this is going to be the peaky engine. It will still be a fast car, just not what I was looking for. Any of the things you described are going to cost money. Going with the turbo isn't any more mechanically challenging, just electronically for fuel and spark control. That is why we use programmable fuel injection. Good luck with whatever you decide. I don't think I will ever build another car that doesn't have at least one turbo! I'm addicted and it is making my M3 feel slow.

Matt

Shadow_Wolf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shadow_WolfSend a Private Message to Shadow_WolfDirect Link to This Post

As promised.

[

More on the way.

Matt

May not be fancy but it sure looks powerful!

85frankenstein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85frankensteinClick Here to visit 85frankenstein's HomePageSend a Private Message to 85frankensteinDirect Link to This Post
Hey Everyone!

Just a heads up that Matt has requested that I post some sound clips of his ride on the dyno as well as Steve's 2.8 firebreather. C'mon over to www.DOHCFiero.com and check 'em out. You can get to them both from a link on the front page, or by navigating through the photo gallery at the bottom of the page. Until this page get buried, I'll include a direct link here too! www.dohcfiero.com/dynodays.htm

DKOV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKOVClick Here to visit DKOV's HomePageSend a Private Message to DKOVDirect Link to This Post
I noted that in both sound files that they measured them in 4th gear. The 3.4L TED makes its best pulls in 3rd gear...

Why do it in 4th?

DKOV -

Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85frankenstein:

Hey Everyone!

Just a heads up that Matt has requested that I post some sound clips of his ride on the dyno as well as Steve's 2.8 firebreather. C'mon over to www.DOHCFiero.com and check 'em out. You can get to them both from a link on the front page, or by navigating through the photo gallery at the bottom of the page. Until this page get buried, I'll include a direct link here too! www.dohcfiero.com/dynodays.htm

I think I just filled the cup!!!! Man that motor winds up Can I get a ride at the 20th?

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
We use 4th because it is closest to 1:1 in the getrag. Also, it gives a longer duration pull for checking air/fuel ratio.

Matt

neverendingproject

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neverendingprojectSend a Private Message to neverendingprojectDirect Link to This Post
Now that's impressive. Quit giving me ideas I'm all out of money What did you use for a dogbone? How about engine mounts?

------------------
Alan Frazier
'86 GT-'92 3.4 TDC under construction
'84 2m4 daily driver

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2003 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
I didn't use a dogbone setup like the stock Fiero. I used the stock engine mount and modified trans mounts (stiffer custom rubber bushings). I then added two control links with heim joints on both sides of the engine mounted to the cradle. The front side mounts where the torque shock was. The back mount is a mirror image of that. This allows no movement front to back but allows the rubber mounts to control side to side movement. This keeps things from torqueing too much yet keeps the vibration isolated.

Matt

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock