IAC sensor/ cleaning by DavidStremer
Started on: 07-28-2003 01:26 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Pyrthian on 07-29-2003 08:33 AM
DavidStremer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2003 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DavidStremerSend a Private Message to DavidStremerDirect Link to This Post
A lot has been writen about the importance of cleaning throttle body and air passages when changing IAC sensor.

WELL, I HAVE A QUESTION; how is it done? Does one just clean the passage where the pintle of the IAC gets inserted -- hole easily seen when looking into intake of throttle body?

OR, ARE WE TALKING ABOUT CLEANING CHAMBER BENEATH THROTTLE BODY AND ALSO THE AIR TUBE THAT IS ABOUT 1/2 INCH IN DIAMETER
If yes to chamber and air tube, how does one go about it.....do you need to remove throttle body?....intake plenum?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2003 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
You probably are better of removing the throttle body, to clean out all of it's passages. You can use some spray on carb cleaner if you remove it. I use rags and pipe cleaners to get into every nook and cranny. You don't have to take the throttle body off to clean it tho. You can reach most of the important stuff with it still on. Try not to spray any cleaner into the plenum or you can have starting problems later on. Make sure you clean up the carbon deposits on the butterfly and it's surroundings, and make sure the seat for the IAC pintle is clean, you can use Q-tips soaked in carb cleaner to do this.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 07-28-2003).]

DavidStremer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2003 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DavidStremerSend a Private Message to DavidStremerDirect Link to This Post
avengedor: Chilton says to drain radiator prior to removing coolant tubes from Throttle body. Is this really necessary? Seems to me that the throttle body is higher than the radiator.

Also, if deemed necessary, can I just elevate the rear of the car to place it higher than the radiator?

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post07-28-2003 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
You just need to drain the coolant out enough to get it below the thermostat in the thermostat housing, that'll be low enough to keep from losing much out the throttle body hoses. Elevating the rear of the car would help as well. That way all you have to do upon reassembly is top off the fluid in the thermostat housing.

JazzMan

KRMFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2003 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KRMFieroSend a Private Message to KRMFieroDirect Link to This Post
When I cleaned mine I took those lines right out, put a bigegr rubber hose from the conections and just took the 2 medal lines right out, car doesnt over heat or run any hotter then before.... you shouldnt have any problems - i didnt

Kyle
DavidStremer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DavidStremerSend a Private Message to DavidStremerDirect Link to This Post
Accoding to manual, coolant lines are there to provide heat in winter, not to cool in summer. So, you might have trouble with the way the engine runs in winter if you removed the lines.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
I've cleaned my IAC by just shooting Throttle Body cleaner down the IAC hole. I've never actually removed the IAC at all. It seems to work, but I'm not sure how good a job it does.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock