shifter by Ziggy at RTM Racing
Started on: 12-15-2003 09:54 AM
Replies: 3
Last post by: CC Rider on 12-15-2003 03:33 PM
Ziggy at RTM Racing

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2003 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ziggy at RTM RacingClick Here to visit Ziggy at RTM Racing's HomePageSend a Private Message to Ziggy at RTM RacingDirect Link to This Post
Hi there. I am new to this board, and have what I hope is a simple question. I am a small manufacturer in Ontario, Canada, and I have been asked to make someone a custom shift knob for a X-Mas present. All I know is that it is an '87 Fiero V6. Here is the problem. I can't seem to find a car locally, and my shift knobs are THREADED to suit the vehicle, not with the plastic sleeves and 3 little set screws that everyone else uses. Can anyone tell me:
a) what thread is on the standard Fiero shifter?
b) what is the length of the thread?
c) what is the diameter of the shifter below the thread?
d) for how long is the shifter straight at that diameter before there are any bends or increases in diameter?

Any help you could give me with this would be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

------------------
Ziggy at RTM Racing

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2003 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I could tell you the dimensions, but I can tell you that most people here either order them from www.fierostore.com or www.rodneydickman.com (Rodney might be able to give you an answer just email him there). Others just take theirs and cut them shorter and reweld them to make a shorter shifter. You can probably get a used one from www.kickhill.com pretty cheap, just make sure you call them as they don't answer their email too quickly. If you get your hands on a used one you should be able to turn it down and rethread it to fit your knob. Welcome to the forum and sorry I couldn't be of more help.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 12-15-2003).]

Ziggy at RTM Racing

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2003 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ziggy at RTM RacingClick Here to visit Ziggy at RTM Racing's HomePageSend a Private Message to Ziggy at RTM RacingDirect Link to This Post
The reason I am asking, I have been asked to make a custom KNOB, not a custom shifter. I THREAD my knobs to suit the shifter, not the three little set screws everyone else uses, and this is why I am trying to get shifter info, so that I can make the knob to suit and be sure it fits. I will try the links you posted, and hopefully they will be able to help me. Thanks a lot!
CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2003 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post
16mm shaft x 1.5mm pitch.
That would be a M16x1.5 if you're looking for the correct size die, etc

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock