Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Can I use the stock door lock solenoid to pop the doors open when shaved?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Can I use the stock door lock solenoid to pop the doors open when shaved? by soup
Started on: 01-02-2004 06:35 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: theogre on 01-02-2004 04:01 PM
soup

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2004 06:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupDirect Link to This Post
Just as the topic says, I am shaving my door handles, I want to know if I can use the stock door lock solenoid to pop the door open?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2004 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Direct Link to This Post
I am shaving mine also, & thought the same thing....

I decided to use an aftermarket set to be certain that they will "pop" both the door catch & the door (since there is no door handle).

That is if I understand you inquirery correctly..

Are you looking to use the solenoid to just unlock/open the the mechanicals of the door which latches to the pillar, or to push the door open after the catch has un-latched?

Popers are just spring loaded rods to open doors after the latch has opened.

The_Raven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2004 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The_RavenClick Here to visit The_Raven's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_RavenDirect Link to This Post
No, it's not strong enough. You can get "trunk solenoid kits" that you can use, however.

------------------
The Raven :Under Construction
"James" 1985 GMC Jimmy, 3.2L turbocharged intercooled hybrid 13.873 @ 99.08

"Speed Costs, How fast do you want to go?"

soup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2004 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The_Raven:

No, it's not strong enough. You can get "trunk solenoid kits" that you can use, however.

Yeah I was afraid of that. I guess they would be around 9lbs... where 15 would be the least I would want I think.

soup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2004 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupDirect Link to This Post

soup

1572 posts
Member since Nov 2001

Originally posted by 1986GTV8:

I am shaving mine also, & thought the same thing....

I decided to use an aftermarket set to be certain that they will "pop" both the door catch & the door (since there is no door handle).

That is if I understand you inquirery correctly..

Are you looking to use the solenoid to just unlock/open the the mechanicals of the door which latches to the pillar, or to push the door open after the catch has un-latched?

Popers are just spring loaded rods to open doors after the latch has opened.

Yeah I know what popers are
I was thinking to unlatch the door, not make it swing open.

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2004 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post
You DON'T need 'popper' as the top of the window that seal's against the top rubber has ene\ough pressure to push the dorr open an inch or so... You have probablly read that somewhere here, but I thought I would mention it for other's that may not have seen it. Good luck with the door's... Are you shaving JUST the handles or ALL of your side-trim..??

------------------
New Name.... New Attitude....
AKA. SmoothGT....

Custom Built SHAVED~WIDEBODY~GT!!

Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post01-02-2004 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
I just finished shaving my moldings but chose to leave the handle in for now,as I did not want to rely on the solenoid only.What I did was to leave the round moldings on but ground them down to near flat then molded them in and they are looking much nicer now.

------------------
Tuners of the Quickest 4.9
12.51@118 mph

4.5 (RSR)Hi Perf. Caddi-V8
In place and running.

soup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2004 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupDirect Link to This Post
im going to be shaving all the trim... it will be one giant body piece.. hope i dont get in an accident
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2004 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Id get aftermarket custom ones. You can get them up to 30 or more pnds. Id go for a little overkill. A weak battery or cold temp may leave you unable to open them. If the doors dont pop out far enough to get past the 2nd catch (one opens, other is a safety) you may need to put a short spring in one of the jams to pop it far enough when you engage the solenoid.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2004 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Some things about doors....

In general... the latch assembly in Fiero is in kind of a bad place. Quite a bit of water can get to it even on cars with good dew wipes. This means it isn't dificult to get frozen out of the car. Mine did this just the other day when the lock arm on the latch froze. I was able to get in thru the other door but even the interior lock button on the frozen door was dificult to move. The key would have broken before the lock opened. I'm not sure electric locks would have opened.

My point is Normally it doesn't take a huge amount of force to work the latch. Don't count on Normal operation, especially in an old car.

They make kits specifically for this type project. Use them. Whatever they cost is worth it in terms of having reliable access.

If you are eliminating the deck lock, which I rally do not recomend... To prevent lockout when the battery is dead... find some place to craete an externally accessable accessory Positive terminal for the battery. Then you can connect jumpers w/o needing to get at the battery.

------------------
Be alert. The world needs more lerts...

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock