Started on: 09-10-2004 05:53 PM
Replies: 2
Last post by: Formula88 on 09-10-2004 09:21 PM
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2004 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Towards the bottom of this thread, https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/044690-2.html , the question was raised that I may have a bad steering knuckle on my car. Rather than hijack his thread, I'll start a new one.

The knuckle looked ok when I was working on it, but I wasn't sure what I needed to be looking for. How do I tell if it's good or bad (other than obvious out of round wear, which I didn't notice).

The symptom that makes me suspect the knuckle is that when I torque down the castle nut, it goes so far down on the lower ball joint that the cotter pin doesn't even contact the castle nut.

I'm using Rodney Dickman balljoints, btw.

Any suggestions?

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Zoom88

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2004 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Towards the bottom of this thread, https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/044690-2.html , the question was raised that I may have a bad steering knuckle on my car. Rather than hijack his thread, I'll start a new one.

The knuckle looked ok when I was working on it, but I wasn't sure what I needed to be looking for. How do I tell if it's good or bad (other than obvious out of round wear, which I didn't notice).

The symptom that makes me suspect the knuckle is that when I torque down the castle nut, it goes so far down on the lower ball joint that the cotter pin doesn't even contact the castle nut.

I'm using Rodney Dickman balljoints, btw.

Any suggestions?

If it is going down that far before it gets tight then it is bad.
Either it is worn or it may even have a hairline crack.
Which side is it ? They are marked Left and Right.
I have another set, I will be out of town until Sun. night but you can Email me if you
don't come up with another solution.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2004 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
It's the passenger side (right). It sounds like the safe bet is to replace it. I've found a few in the NC area on http://www.car-part.com but I doubt any of them are open on the weekend. I'm going to call around Saturday morning and see what I can find out.

+ for you help. Thanks!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock