Broken Getrag at Dragstrip by Matt Hawkins
Started on: 09-16-2004 10:39 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: Fierobsessed on 09-19-2004 01:46 AM
Matt Hawkins

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2004 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. I broke the Getrag in my turbo 3.4l DOHC car at the dragstrip tonight. I was trying to launch the car hard and apparently I did. I don't know the extent of the damage, but I know the diff let go for sure. The VSS was hanging down on the ground! There is also a hole in the case near the top of the trans. I am guessing the the shaft driving the ring gear joined the catastrophe party.

While this does suck, I am not too surprised. I beat the crap out of this car. I have ~45k miles on the turbo swap and have broken 5 axles and now 1 transmission. All that on top of the 180k the trans had on it originally. I can live with that. So it's off to the junkyard in search of a new (newer) trans.

Matt

------------------
86 GT, 5-Speed
87 GT, 3.4l DOHC Turbo
95 BMW M3
02 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
California Kid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2004 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
That's life in the Fast Lane !!! Pretty high mileage trans with no re-build.

------------------

Car History: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/025670.html

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 09-16-2004).]

jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2004 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to hear the bad news, hope you find a newer trans quickly. What track were you at? How did you get your car back home? Do you run at the track often? Running at the track sounds like fun but my fear is exactly what happened to you. Heres hoping that the repairs go well.

------------------
jetman
Silver 86 SE 2M6 4-speed, with
"check wallet light"

OutlawFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2004 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OutlawFieroClick Here to visit OutlawFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to OutlawFieroDirect Link to This Post
Hey Matt how is your Turbo TDC running? Are you happy with the results? Sorry to hear about the Getrag exploding, but it's not that suprising. It is good to hear that you are taking it to the track.
Freshj

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2004 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FreshjSend a Private Message to FreshjDirect Link to This Post
Hey man, I've seen your car around a lot.

As far as a transmission, check out Simpsons. They're back behind Schrams on the dirt road. They have like 20 Fieros back there. They don't charge much for Fiero stuff. Not sure if they'd pull it for you or what.

------------------

My Cardomain page
www.FFDET.com
Please rate me if I've been helpful...

[This message has been edited by Freshj (edited 09-16-2004).]

The Punisher

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 433
User Banned

Report this Post09-17-2004 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherDirect Link to This Post
I CALL BS!!! your transmission did not break! The getrag 5 spd is prob one of the strongest transmissions

I mean if the V8 guys like archie arent' breaking them, then how can a measly V6 break one? No way. Didnt' happen.

SH

------------------
JM / SH

Pick up the bone phone Fred Flinstone and call George Jetson. Get Cable, DSL, or something....
Opinions are like ‘The Punisher” everyone has one ™

Flyguyeddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2004 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyguyeddySend a Private Message to FlyguyeddyDirect Link to This Post
i hope that wasnt a 284

if it was.............. have fun

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2004 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Punisher:

I CALL BS!!! your transmission did not break! The getrag 5 spd is prob one of the strongest transmissions

I mean if the V8 guys like archie arent' breaking them, then how can a measly V6 break one? No way. Didnt' happen.

SH

why the heck would somone lie about blowing a tranny? And why is it so unbelieveable? Im sure a stock 4 cyl could blow one in the right circumstances, its all a matter of the condition of the tranny, not the engine.
crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2004 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
He was being sarcastic

Matt, how fast is your car usually in the 1/4? Pretty impressive list of parts you have broken!

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2004 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
if you dont mind going for a drive, there is a 1991 olds with 3.4L DOHC and getrag 284 local, 170k miles $400 for the whole car.

if your really wanting something for track abuse, i reccomend swapping the 5 speed for a 4:10 4 speed.

matthew

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2004 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
400$? that'd be a nice swap
PFF
System Bot
MRJ

Feedback score:    (36)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2004 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MRJClick Here to visit MRJ's HomePageSend a Private Message to MRJDirect Link to This Post
Hey Matt glad to see your still into Fieros. I'm still working on them too. It was good meeting you years ago in Morgantown. I was going to let you know that https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/022425.html The one that he is selling with a cracked bellhousing should be a good tranny. It came from a 88 GT that Mosh and I had that was wrecked on the pass side rear wheel. It had 77,000 miles on it. You might wanna see about that one and shipping probably wouldn't be that bad. Keep em running up there.
Matt Jackson

------------------
MRJ
My Black 87GT SOLD!!

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2004 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Could you please provide more details? And pics when you get it out?
What was your holeshot RPM? What clutch? What clutch engagement technique?
What was your usual 60 foot time? usual QM time? Trap speed?
Do you do burnouts?

I can overhaul a Getrag for you but it would cost about a grand.

------------------
Turn the key and feel the engine shake the whole car with its lope; Plant the gas pedal and feel in your chest neither a shriek nor a wail but a bellowing roar; Lift and be pushed into the harness by compression braking that only comes from the biggest cylinders while listening to music of pops and gurgles. Know that you are driving and American V8. There are finer engines made, but none of them are this cool.

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2004 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
I was leaving the line at ~4000 RPM. I don't do a burnout in the box. I drive around the bleach pit and turn the tires over slighly just to clean them off. I am running a ClutchNet six puck sprung hub clutch with a stock pressure plate. I have been running 1.8 60' times and was trying to improve on that. The track was very well prepped and sticky. I had run 13.0 @ 108 and was trying to dip into the 12s. I don't sidestep the clutch, but I let it out at a fairly high rate. There wasn't really a shock load that was obvious and the car only moved a few feet before the breakage. I think it was just this transmission time to go. There is no overhauling it as there are many new "vents" in the case. Both halves have holes. It still seems to shift through the gears, so I believe it broke the diff and/or ring gear.

Matt

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2004 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Ya cant play if ya cant afford to pay............

Myself I prefer driving fast as opposed to fast launches, dont break any parts that way, but thats just me.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2004 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Matt Hawkins:

I was leaving the line at ~4000 RPM. I don't do a burnout in the box. I drive around the bleach pit and turn the tires over slighly just to clean them off. I am running a ClutchNet six puck sprung hub clutch with a stock pressure plate. I have been running 1.8 60' times and was trying to improve on that. The track was very well prepped and sticky. I had run 13.0 @ 108 and was trying to dip into the 12s. I don't sidestep the clutch, but I let it out at a fairly high rate. There wasn't really a shock load that was obvious and the car only moved a few feet before the breakage. I think it was just this transmission time to go. There is no overhauling it as there are many new "vents" in the case. Both halves have holes. It still seems to shift through the gears, so I believe it broke the diff and/or ring gear.

Matt

Hmm... That's odd... I ran a 12.86 @ 106 with a 1.92 short time. So I ran quicker with a lower trap speed and a slower launch Maybe you're slowing right after the hole shot due to turbo lag.
Do you holeshot in 1st gear or 2nd?

I use a similar launch technique with my car. I feed the clutch and feather the throttle to keep the tires at the edge of spinning. I launch at 2.5-3K, though.
The last time I was at the strip I had some really cheap struts that were limiting my launch with wheel hop. Now that I have some Konis I may be able to get into the 1.8's.

WIth 180K on the trans, the diff side bearings would really have been in need of replacement. When (If?) you autopsy, take a careful look at the diff carrier bearings. I'd be extremely interested in pictures of the broken parts...

I wasn't offering to overhaul the one you popped. That would be rather pointless. I was saying that when you find another I can overhaul it for you.

------------------
Turn the key and feel the engine shake the whole car with its lope; Plant the gas pedal and feel in your chest neither a shriek nor a wail but a bellowing roar; Lift and be pushed into the harness by compression braking that only comes from the biggest cylinders while listening to music of pops and gurgles. Know that you are driving and American V8. There are finer engines made, but none of them are this cool.

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2004 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
Most (if not all) trans failures of this type in Fieros are related to worn differential bearings.

------------------
PLEASE NOTE MY NEW ADDRESS

Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
www.rodneydickman.com
New address and phone number after June 20,2003:

Rodney Dickman's Fiero acc's
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
(262) 835-9575

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2004 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
I agree on the bearing, but I just had the trans apart this spring and everything seemed tip top. I will be interested to see what all is broken inside.

MRJ - Thanks for the tip. I am buying that Getrag with the cracked case.

Matt

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2004 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Matt Hawkins:

I agree on the bearing, but I just had the trans apart this spring and everything seemed tip top. I will be interested to see what all is broken inside.

The races looked ok when you had it apart?
Did you measure/reset the preload? Did you try the axle shake test on it at any time before it broke?
What did the spider gears/diff carrier look like?
Metal chips on the case magnet?

------------------

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2004 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
Im going to put money on a broken spider gear, or a broken carrier pin. Seen it happen too many times. I find, getting getrags is easy, but getting them with the normal FWD bellhousing is a whole nother story. I suggest www.car-part.com They have 3 listing's for getrag transmission's in michigan that will work for your car. Look up 91 beretta (3.1 M.T.) and 88 Fiero 2.8. They are asking 350 for the beretta units. You'd have to call for a price on the "Parts" 88 Fiero Getrag.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock