Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Changed cap, rotor, O2, wires, plugs, cleaned IAC, and I have some questions...

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Changed cap, rotor, O2, wires, plugs, cleaned IAC, and I have some questions... by Bigfieroman
Started on: 10-03-2004 10:09 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: alienfiero on 10-03-2004 10:58 PM
Bigfieroman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2004 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BigfieromanClick Here to visit Bigfieroman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BigfieromanDirect Link to This Post
I did all of the above, and I have a few questions.

The rotor had noticable carbon inside of it...is that normal?

The plugs had carbon on them, mostly around the base, between the insulator and the threaded part. They had a little ash on the electrode. Is this normal? They were NGK UR5s, but I never gapped them going in, so they were all between .030 and .035. New NGKs were installed at .045 on the dot.

The O2 sensor had ash on the head...Was the original one from the factory a Bosch? I think it may have been the original.

The IAC had a buttload of caked up carbon on the pintle and in the seat area, it took a lot of brake cleaner to get them back to normal. Is this a common thing on 2.8s?

Needless to say, the car runs a lot better and idles rock-solid, but I just want help spotting any trouble signs. Thanks guys!

------------------
Thanks Aus!
More info at: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/043357.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
alienfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2004 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alienfieroSend a Private Message to alienfieroDirect Link to This Post
Carbon in the rotor is caused by the carbon electrode connecting the coil wire to the distributor rotor weareing down or up in this case. This is also called carbon tracking and can lead to spark crossfiring. This is caused by carbon dust witch is an excellence conductor of electron's witch is the spark taking the least path of resistance to ground.
That is why you see the two walls around the center of the rotor. The walls are used keep the spark from jumping around. If your dist. cap and rotor are good, then just clean the cardon dust out of the cap and rotor.
Bigfieroman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2004 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BigfieromanClick Here to visit Bigfieroman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BigfieromanDirect Link to This Post
I just replaced them with nice new ones. Autozone has a VERY high quality set for 17 dollars, with the cap and rotor. They are made of surprisingly thick and strong plastic, and they have really hefty solid brass contacts. It is the Conrad Professional Gold Line Cap and Rotor Kit. The old plastic cap was slightly warped, had tiny aluminum contacts, and was paper thin. I thought the nice cap and rotor were worth the extra $5.
alienfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2004 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alienfieroSend a Private Message to alienfieroDirect Link to This Post
Ox sensor: If its not oily, then it may have been running rich.
Iac carbon is caused by back flow from the combustion chamber and the egr port. A low restriction exhaust will help.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock