Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Cleaning IAC and TB hoping to cure idle woes.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Cleaning IAC and TB hoping to cure idle woes. by olaf_fiero27
Started on: 01-26-2005 02:01 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: Spoon on 05-26-2005 11:31 PM
olaf_fiero27

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2005 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olaf_fiero27Send a Private Message to olaf_fiero27Direct Link to This Post
Well from a cold start my 86 GT with 188,000 kms on it (117,000 miles) idles at about 2000 and keeps it steady until it starts to warm up to normal operating temp. Once it gets to normal temp is idles between 1100 and 900 rpm. The intake gaskets are new, and im working on fixing the EGR, but when it's running it sounds like it starts choking itself and the sounds like somone slightly taps the throttle to get it back up to 1000 rpm or more, and it continuously does this and it sounds like its going to stall but it never does. Anyone have any ideas? Pics would be good of where and what to clean and what else to check out.

Thanks

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2005 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
sounds like it needs a tune up. fresh plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc. it shouldnt "chug" at 900 RPM. also, if its never been done, new MAT & CTS sensors (Manifold Absolute Temp & Coolant Temp Sensor) help ALOT - also, any other original sensors would be good to replace - like the MAP, and the O2 should be replaced regulalrly, so if you havent, defeintly replace this one. the feeling of someone tapping the throttle is the stall saver kicking in. cleaning the IAC is pretty easy - take off the rubber snorkle between the throttle body & air cleaner housing, you'll see a little 1/4" hole on the throttle body. this is the IAC hole. shoot some throttle body cleaner down in there. the car will want to stall, so you may have to goose the throttle a bit. try to hit the throttle as little as possible, forcing the cleaner down the little hole.

anyways, replace the MAT & CTS, and the O2 if its more than 3 years old.

olaf_fiero27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2005 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olaf_fiero27Send a Private Message to olaf_fiero27Direct Link to This Post
the thing is that it has gotten a complete tune up either then the sensor, all bosch ultra premium wires,cap,rotor, and ac delco plugs, i thought that the iac is the sensor beside the tps? the one that has a hex shape for a wrench to grip it
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2005 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
yes, the IAC is that hex thing you describe. it is NOT a sensor, it is a solenoid, that opens & closes the air passage thru that 1/4" hole in the throttle body - a controlled vacuum leak, basicly, to give the mtoro enough just air to idle, with the throttle plate closed. spraying the cleaner down the hole cleanes the actual valve surfaces. if you repace the IAC, you remove that hex thing, and you'll see what I mean. the MAT sensor is the one in the air filter can, the CTS sensor is the one on the intake manifold, sticking out horizontanly towards the pulleys.
olaf_fiero27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2005 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olaf_fiero27Send a Private Message to olaf_fiero27Direct Link to This Post
ok, how much are all these sensors?
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2005 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
CTS & MAT are $20-$25 each, O2 is $35
ka4nkf

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2005 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ka4nkfSend a Private Message to ka4nkfDirect Link to This Post
When your engine is warmed up the IAC is closed. the idle is controlled from the ignition module. when it is warmed up you can disconnect the iac and it will make no difference. Mine does the same thing and I have cleaned and adjusted everything, still the same. so there is one sensor that I have not changed and that is the one under the thermostst housing (ECM temp sensor). this will be next. if you clean the iac make sure you adjust the pintle to one and one eight inch from the pintle end to the gasket on the body.
Don
FieroAddict

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2005 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAddictSend a Private Message to FieroAddictDirect Link to This Post
My 4 cylinder was doing this, so I pulled off the throttle body, and the egr passages were plugged, so I clean them out. Then I cleaned out the iac passage and the iac itself, and it runs great now.
olaf_fiero27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2005 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olaf_fiero27Send a Private Message to olaf_fiero27Direct Link to This Post
alrighty ill try all that stuff that you guys listed.
gt40cory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2005 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt40corySend a Private Message to gt40coryDirect Link to This Post
I'm having the same problems with idling, did any of these things work for you olaf_fiero27?
Fiero Tom

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2005 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero TomSend a Private Message to Fiero TomDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ka4nkf:

When your engine is warmed up the IAC is closed. the idle is controlled from the ignition module. when it is warmed up you can disconnect the iac and it will make no difference. Mine does the same thing and I have cleaned and adjusted everything, still the same. so there is one sensor that I have not changed and that is the one under the thermostst housing (ECM temp sensor). this will be next. if you clean the iac make sure you adjust the pintle to one and one eight inch from the pintle end to the gasket on the body.
Don

That is interesting, I had a warm/hot idle problem that was corrected once I cleaned the throttle body and IAC. It would idle at 600-800 rpms and die on occasion.
BUT I think that the IAC was not adjusted correctly, when I removed it was only about an 1 1/32" from the gasket surface to the tip now it is closer to the 1 1/8" recomended.

PFF
System Bot
CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2005 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ka4nkf:

When your engine is warmed up the IAC is closed. the idle is controlled from the ignition module. when it is warmed up you can disconnect the iac and it will make no difference. Don

Just for clarification.. I thought "from an idling standpoint" that the IAC is open enought to allow an idle of say 800 rpm. If the engine is in a cold start the IAC will open a little more to increase the idle. This message comes from the ATS "air temp sensor - or equivalent". Once warmed up and idling the IAC is still open to maintain the 800 rpm. If you disc the IAC connector "with engine idling" the position of the IAC pintle will stay in that position "open" even while driving down the road.

Reconnect the ATS plug... Now when you shut down the warmed engine via the key, the IAC sets itself open for the next start. Hit the key and engine starts and maintains correct idle without any pedal-work.
Thats how I thought it worked.. but I could be wrong.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock