Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Having a problem with surging idle / stalling when cold? Clean your IAC!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Having a problem with surging idle / stalling when cold? Clean your IAC! by Bigfieroman
Started on: 09-06-2005 01:08 AM
Replies: 3
Last post by: 3800superfast on 09-06-2005 01:41 AM
Bigfieroman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2005 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BigfieromanClick Here to visit Bigfieroman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BigfieromanDirect Link to This Post
I have had a problem with my 2.8 surging and stalling and backfiring when cold. It would stick around for a minute or so, and then it would be OK. I fixed once during a tuneup, but I was unsure what the fix was specifically. I replaced the O2, wires, plugs, cap, rotor and cleaned the IAC.

The problem recently returned, and I replaced the things one at a time to pinpoint the problem. It was carbon buildup on the IAC. I cleaned the IAC and it's port with brake cleaner, as well as the throttle body area in general. Now it starts and runs great. I know several people like connecticutfiero were also having the same problem, and I can say with certainty that cleaning the IAC will fix the problem!

------------------
Thanks Aus!
More info at: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/043357.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ka4nkf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2005 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ka4nkfSend a Private Message to ka4nkfDirect Link to This Post
I wonder what is making the carbon build up returning so soon.
Don
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2005 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
I see that all the time at work on all different types of cars. It make a huge difference when you get all the carbon cleaned out!
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2005 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Carbon build up in the T.B. area ?? Take a look at where they located the engine breather hose, the hard part that runs back to your rear vavle cover, have you ever seen what comes out of that thing when the air tube is off and the crank case is shooting off all its vented goodies --right into your T.B.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock