Started on: 12-06-2005 11:04 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Darth Fiero on 12-08-2005 10:48 AM
Spiff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2005 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpiffClick Here to visit Spiff's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpiffDirect Link to This Post
3800 SC people. Is this a good fuel pump for the swap?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WALBRO-255-FUEL-PUMP-PONTIAC-FIERO-2-8L-1985-1986-ALL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33555QQitemZ8018235761QQrdZ1

Is there anything else needed, or is whats pictured all the parts needed?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2005 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post
Hey Spiff - I have heard a great number of people have used this for their install. I think that the GP guys are using this as well if memory serves correct.

I have not heard that there was anythink else that was required for the install - but again I used the Vette pump for my install.

Let me see if I can hit the search for ya to see if I can pull anything up.

--Allen

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2005 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
I used a Walbro 255 lph unit for my 3.4 DOHC swap. Works fine but it's a little noisy. There's a constant pump whine in the cabin so I may switch to a Vette pump later.

------------------
Dave E

www.ltlfrari.com

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2005 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Just as a note... i heard the vette pumps dont flow as well as you would think... I went with a Turbo Trans AM fuel pump because it fits in stock location and is rated for the Turbo 3.8L engine anyway.

------------------
"Raced That, Wrecked Better" ~In Memory Of Jesse Cesek~ 1980-2000
US Armored Cavalry - Fox 2/81 - Death By 120 - 1 Shot 1 Kill

RandomTask

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2005 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskDirect Link to This Post
Pump I'm using in my swap, works great
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2005 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Fieromaster:

Just as a note... i heard the vette pumps dont flow as well as you would think... I went with a Turbo Trans AM fuel pump because it fits in stock location and is rated for the Turbo 3.8L engine anyway.

You heard correctly. The OE replacement Vette pump (and all other n/a application pumps for that matter) are NOT rated to flow enough fuel volume at the higher pressures required by a turbocharged or supercharged engines. I know some people on here have got away by going cheap and using a Vette pump or some other n/a application pump; but it is a big gamble to take with a $2000 +/- engine. I have personally flow tested many of these n/a pumps and they are not capable of maintaining sufficient fuel volume flow at the higher pressures boosted engines require under full boost.

I agree with the Fieromaster on this one, at least use a OE replacement pump that is supposed to support a similar powerplant to what you have. The 89 TTA pump will work fine for most stock and lightly modded 3800SC applications. Personally, I like the Walbro 255lph unit (FT20000169) because it will support over 600hp and it is built with stainless steel components. It is true that this pump is a little on the noisy side, but unless you are running stock mufflers, you probably aren't going to notice it going down the highway. BTW you can pick up the walbro unit for about $130.00 with an install kit which is a direct bolt-in for 87-88 Fieros. 86 and earlier cars will require in-tank wiring modifications.

Oh and one more thing... If you have one of those pulsators that goes between the pump and steel line on your sending unit instead of just a piece of fuel hose clamped on; you should remove the pulsator. These are notorious for leaking and even coming apart during normal use which will lead to loss of fuel pressure; possibly at a critical point in time.

------------------
power corrupts. absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Custom Computer Tuning | Engine Conversions | Turbocharging | www.gmtuners.com

Spiff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2005 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpiffClick Here to visit Spiff's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpiffDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info guys. I will purchase this pump. I'm not worried about how louad it is. The exhaust sould drown out the sound.

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2005 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Spiff, its a direct replacement for the 87/88 sending unit. For the 84 unit, I had to splice/soldier the two wires. Makes for a 10 minute install either way.
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2005 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvDirect Link to This Post
Would I be able to use the pump from a GTP in an '88 Fiero tank? One came with my 3800SC.
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2005 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2002z28ssconv:

Would I be able to use the pump from a GTP in an '88 Fiero tank? One came with my 3800SC.

The GTP pump (97-up) comes incased in a plastic cylinder/fuel reservour that is part of the GTP sending unit. It is possible to remove this pump from the GTP sending unit and use it in the Fiero; but honestly for the trouble you are going to have getting it to work you would probably be better off just getting a TTA or Walbro unit; IMHO.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock