Started on: 07-09-2006 06:56 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: GT86 on 07-15-2006 11:48 PM
WingNut - MD

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2006 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post
Hello,

I am in need of some technical help on my 88 Formula, 5 speed. Here is the scoop on the car. I purchased it in February of this year. The car had 11,880 miles on it, however it sat for approx 10 years without being started (we think). I had the car towed home. I siphoned out the gas, put all fresh fuel in her, changed the oil and plugs.

The car started right up, but ran rich. I adjusted timing to factory specs. Still running rich. I have put on a new high flow cat and Fiero store ocelot exhaust system. Still rich. I have changed the Coolant temperture sensor, the cold start injector and the O2 sensor. The exhaust still smells rich. It is not black or sooty, it just has the smell of gas to it.

I have read a few threads on this, as well as a few in the archives. Should I continue to change out sensors, such as the TPS and MAP, or would I be better off purchasing an ALDL cable and doing a home diagnosis? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Mark
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
thecage

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2006 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thecageSend a Private Message to thecageDirect Link to This Post
Just a thought but is the charcoil canister set up still in the car? Sometimes people take them out.

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2006 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Did you check the fuel pressure? The Fuel regulator could be bad or the return line could be plugged and the pressure could be a little high. You should be somewhere around 40psi.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 07-09-2006).]

WingNut - MD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2006 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post
I believe the canister is still there, I'll double check. The car is completely stock, no recalls performed on it.

I have not checked the fuel pressure. I'll have to go to a parts store tomorrow and buy a guage and check that out.

Thanks for the advice guys,

Mark
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2006 06:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
it may be crud/lacquer buildup on the injectors. run a can of good quality gm injector cleaner thru the system and see if it helps.
it may take a tank or 2 of gas to clean the injectors off and clear up the problem.
btw, the injectors on the 88 are not the pintle type, they are the disc type which are supposedly less prone to fouling, but sittng for that lenght of time will foul anything.

[This message has been edited by tjm4fun (edited 07-10-2006).]

3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2006 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Sitting that long could interfer with those brittle vac lines --throughing all kind of sensors off , there are alot of posibility`s, you could try the hit & miss deal, personally I`d run winaldl on it, nail it down, that way your not throwing time & money at it, you could make your own cable, buy one from srat110 on the forum here, or purchase from below. ...Hope this helps some.
http://winaldl.joby.se
www.aldlcable.com
p.s. congrats on landing a 1988 11 K Fiero
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2006 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I'll suggest Seafoam to clean the fuel system. Many people seem pleased with how it works.
Or an ethanol blend for a tank or two would probably help, if it's available.

...the injectors on the 88 are not the pintle type, they are the disc type... [/QUOTE]

Every 88 that I've taken apart or seen taken apart had the same pintle type injectors as the earlier cars.

WingNut - MD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2006 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post
I will take a look at the vacuum lines. I have already replaced one that broke when I was trying to remove it to get to the coolant temp senser.

Raydar: I have used the Lucaas fuel injector cleaner on the first tank of clean fuel I burned through. Would you advise running the sea foam thru so soon? Does it do something different from other fuel cleaners?

Originally posted by 3800superfast:
p.s. congrats on landing a 1988 11 K Fiero

Thank you and I think I just might purchase the ALDL cable. As I own 2 Fiero (for now) I might as well have this at it seems like a handly "tool" to own.
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2006 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

...the injectors on the 88 are not the pintle type, they are the disc type...
Every 88 that I've taken apart or seen taken apart had the same pintle type injectors as the earlier cars.

mine are disc type. According to all the specs I;ve seen all the 1988 2.8's were supposed to come with the new style disc injectors.
might be a cutoff thing on when the motor was put together? The pintle types are susceptable to fouling alot easier, that;s why gm made the switch...
WingNut - MD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2006 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post
I got my ALDL cable and tried it out today. I tried everything on the directions and I can not get the car and the computer to communicate. I have the WinALDL software set to a 1227170 ECM and have tried it at 2400 & 4800 baud. I have moved the resistor to every setting with no luck. I have also double checked, and I am using the correct COM port for the 9 pin PC connector.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions?
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2006 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
You using a laptop. Sure the port is enabled in the bios? Sometimes on laptops they are disabled and you have to turn them on.

Fireup Hyperterminal and see what port is says is working. Use the 10K resistor.

PFF
System Bot
GT86

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2006 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86Send a Private Message to GT86Direct Link to This Post
Are you using a serial-to-usb converter? I have to use one; if I try to plug into the serial port, I don't get communication. I remember reading something regarding problems with XP, WinALDL, and COM ports, but I don't remember the details. The upshot was to use a converter cable.
WingNut - MD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2006 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post
Dodgerunner: Yes I am using a laptop. I checked and my COM1 is the correct port and is enabled on the laptop. The hyperterminal is saying that COM1 is OK. When I change it to COM 2 - 4 it says error. I am using the 10K resistor and I have tried it in every position that they show on the directions. It still will not work.

GT86: I am not using a serial to USB converter, I am plugging it directly into the serial port, I am running Windows XP on my laptop. I guess I need to run to best buy and get me a converter.

You'd think for $40 bucks it would have come with one.
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2006 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like your using the same setup I am xp and all.
2400 baud should be right.
Does your cable have a aldl plug on the end or just pins. (that's what I have so i asked. )
Are the aldl pins straight? Any bent?
Any of the pins bent on the laptop?
If you jumper the ab pins with a clip does the CEL flash to you know the ecm does go into data mode?

Just tossing ideas here...
GT86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2006 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86Send a Private Message to GT86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by WingNut - MD:
GT86: I am not using a serial to USB converter, I am plugging it directly into the serial port, I am running Windows XP on my laptop. I guess I need to run to best buy and get me a converter.

You'd think for $40 bucks it would have come with one.

Not saying for sure that is the problem you're having, but using the converter worked for me. I found a few threads I had bookmarked that discuss the issue:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20050119-2-055405.html

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20040223-2-042128.html

WingNut - MD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2006 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

Sounds like your using the same setup I am xp and all.
2400 baud should be right.
Does your cable have a aldl plug on the end or just pins. (that's what I have so i asked. ) a plug
Are the aldl pins straight? Any bent? all are straight
Any of the pins bent on the laptop? no everything looks good
If you jumper the ab pins with a clip does the CEL flash to you know the ecm does go into data mode? The CEL flashes when I use a paperclip to jumper it

Just tossing ideas here...

Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2006 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
I'm guessing the cable is not right if you have never used it before.
WingNut - MD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2006 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GT86:

Not saying for sure that is the problem you're having, but using the converter worked for me. I found a few threads I had bookmarked that discuss the issue:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20050119-2-055405.html

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20040223-2-042128.html

Thanks for the links to the archived threads!
WingNut - MD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2006 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post

WingNut - MD

5261 posts
Member since Apr 2003

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

I'm guessing the cable is not right if you have never used it before.

Brand New. Opened the box on Thursday and tried it for the first time today. After reading the archived threads it sounds like I may need an adapter. I'll hit a store tomorrw and see if it cures the ills.

Thanks Dodgerunner and GT86 for the responses.

GT86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2006 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86Send a Private Message to GT86Direct Link to This Post
It pays to shop around for those converters. Seems like a fairly simple thing, which you figure would be cheap, but I found some as high as $60 I bought mine for $12 at Fry's Electronics, about a year ago.

edit: just make sure whatever converter cable you get comes with the driver CD. I saw some that didn't have it, and trying to find drivers on the internet can be a real PITA sometimes.

[This message has been edited by GT86 (edited 07-15-2006).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock