car won't start after running for 30 min or more by racer778
Started on: 08-23-2006 11:47 AM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Marvin McInnis on 08-25-2006 11:42 AM
racer778

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racer778Send a Private Message to racer778Direct Link to This Post
Need some help i have an 88 formula 5 speed V6 . changed the plugs wires distributor cap rotor and coil. I also flushed the radiator. The temp still goes beyond the 220 mark never passed 235. thermostat kicks in about 205. After running for about 30 minutes or so the car won't start back up. It has to sit for awhile to eventually start. Would this be Vapor lock and how would I fix it? or would it be due to the temp of the car. Flushed the system so how would I fix it? The electgric fan does come on as well. Leaving it to the experts
thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sonic50

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post
I had the same issue with my red 86 SE. What I found out was that the starter Was having a heat stork. Witch means that it was going bad or whatever.

How old is you starter? That might be something that you would want to replace.
Wudman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WudmanSend a Private Message to WudmanDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a bad ignition module. It is almost always my first call when a car either stops when hot or won't start when hot.
Wud

------------------
Wudman - www.fierodriver.com
www.StLouisMojo.Com - RadioFreeMojo.Com

Graudefas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GraudefasSend a Private Message to GraudefasDirect Link to This Post
The solution depends on what you mean by "doesn't start". If it doesn't CRANK, that's one thing. If it won't FIRE, that's another.

Which is it in *your* case?
racer778

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racer778Send a Private Message to racer778Direct Link to This Post
Sorry you are correct it will crank but not fire. I have opened the air breather and sprayed starter fluid in the intake after that it will startwith hesitation.
racer778

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2006 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racer778Send a Private Message to racer778Direct Link to This Post

racer778

31 posts
Member since May 2006
Still need help any ideas???
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2006 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Back track all the stuff/new/parts you just put on it, then do a fuel pressure test if the back tracking doesn`t find/fix the problem.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2006 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by racer778:

I have opened the air breather and sprayed starter fluid in the intake after that it will startwith hesitation.

I will agree with others that the ignition module is the most likely problem here. Other suspects are the spark coil and the pickup coil in the distributor ... in that order.

The starter fluid thing is probably a false clue. Think about it. When you open the rear deck to use the starting fluid, cool air floods into the engine compartment. After a minute or two, this may allow the ignition module (or whatever) to cool just enough for the car to start.

Just to be sure, it would probably be a good idea to verify that you have correct fuel pressure when attempting a hot start. If you do, then the problem is almost certainly ignition related.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 08-24-2006).]

Earl-R

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2006 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Earl-RSend a Private Message to Earl-RDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Marvin.

Ignition Module most likely. Make sure the ignition module has heat sink grease on it. Next would be the coil, long shot on the distrib, but you never know.

------------------
87 Fiero GT
Yellow
Soon to be 3800 S/C
T-Top, 11.25" brakes
Whaletail, Mecham Scoops, ZR1 Scoop
T/A Fender Vents, Much Much More

86 SE Red
86 SE Gold
Formerly FieroGT87
My build Thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/036679.html

spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2006 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Another trick you might try next time it happens is to put 12 volts from the cigar lighter to pin "G" on the ALDL. That will cause the fuel pump to start and run continuously. Then try to start the car. If it starts you know it's a fuel system problem of some sort. If not, it's likely the ignition as others have stated.

Whuffo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2006 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WhuffoClick Here to visit Whuffo's HomePageSend a Private Message to WhuffoDirect Link to This Post
Something that fools many people with bad ignition modules is that the ECM is looking for a reference pulse from the ignition module - if this signal isn't there, it won't fire the injectors.

So a "no fuel" problem may really be an ignition problem...
PFF
System Bot
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2006 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Whuffo:

... a "no fuel" problem may really be an ignition [module] problem...

Excellent point!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock