E-brake adjustment?? by fierogt28
Started on: 09-15-2006 01:03 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Sourmug on 09-15-2006 01:30 PM
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2006 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Direct Link to This Post
If the E-brake doesn't lock-up the rear wheels; what are the procedures for adjusting it on the fiero??

I know that there is a "nut" on the adjuster between the left & right brake cables. But another issue is if the handle exceeds 7 or 8 rachett "clicks" it need adjusted, right??

If you look at the adjuster...what direction should the nut be turning for adjusting (left or right), so the brake handle will "click" less than 7 times??

BTW, my E-brake handle comes almost up to 90 degrees and the car can still move if pushed.

Any feedback out there?? & all rotors,pads, calipers, e-brake cables (including the cable to the handle) is new all around.

Thanks,

------------------
fierogt28

86' Fiero GT

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2006 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post

Sourmug

4538 posts
Member since Sep 2002
Here's one more from the Fiero Maintenance Site

The e-brake adjustment is that bracket located where the cable from the brake handle meets the the cables under the rear of the car. To adjust it you need a crescent wrench to hold the small flat spot on the left brake cable and an open end wrench to turn the nut on the left side of the bracket. Since it appears that this adjustment has not been done in a while you may need to use a good lubricant in order to make the nut turn. Keep turning the nut until you can engage the e-brake with about 7 clicks of the brake handle.
--------
If you look under the car in the back, the adjuster (equalizer) will be tucked up in the engine cradle near the catalytic converter. If you're still unsure, simply remove the left rear wheel and follow the brake cable. Hope this helps.
--------
I just tightened my 88 GT along with my 86 SE.(April is sticker month) It isn't all that hard. I do it with out removing the wheels but you can if you want more room/visibility Here's what I do:
1. Block front tires and release e-brake
2. Raise the rear end
3. Pull e-cable out of it's locking position thereby releasing the spring
4. Remove the lever which retained the cable and spring
5. With a wrench, set the parking brake by hand till the brake is fully engaged
6. Loosen slightly to disengage the brake
7. Replace e-brake lever onto the 5 point nut doing your best to rotate the nut only in the engaging direction; this will allow the e-cable minimum travel and maximum operation ( when you replace the lever position it approximately in the 1/2 to 3/4 area of movement)
8. Make the same adjustment on the opposite side
9. Test the system to be sure your brake is disengaging when you release the handle but at the same time maintaining maximum stopping force by a short pull on the handle
10. You may have to repeat these steps or adjust the brake cable to achieve optimum e-brake pressure
Hope this helps - my e-brake would rather kill the engine than allow the car to move (even better in reverse)

Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 09-15-2006).]

3800superfast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2006 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
There a manual way of doing this, can`t remember right at this second, Don posted this a couple days ago--has something to do with holding the brake pedal down, then pull up on the e-brake lever, then release, then repeat x-amount of times, hopefully he or someone will see this and post the proceedure, I have a 86Gt that was having the same issues last year and gave up on it, then did this proceedure and it works great now---(bad memory) ...
Fiero_Freak

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2006 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero_FreakDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking that there was some way like this to do it. I have new calipers so my internals shouldn't be a problem. Can someone confirm if this is the way?

Originally posted by 3800superfast:

There a manual way of doing this, can`t remember right at this second, Don posted this a couple days ago--has something to do with holding the brake pedal down, then pull up on the e-brake lever, then release, then repeat x-amount of times, hopefully he or someone will see this and post the proceedure, I have a 86Gt that was having the same issues last year and gave up on it, then did this proceedure and it works great now---(bad memory) ...

------------------
Dana Mitchell
Member of the Gateway Fiero Club
86 SE Red w/ Black 3.2L w/ T-440, 87 GT Maroon w/ Silver Auto, 87 GT Blue w/ 5-Speed
95 Impala SS, 95 Roadmaster Estate Wagon w/ Air Ride (In Paint)
07 Silverado Classic Crew Cab 5.3L, 06 HHR (wife's ride), 91 CBR1000F

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2006 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
This is from the 4th link that I posted above:

"This is the proper way to do it. Pull your e-brake lever as tight as it will go. Then put your foot on the brake pedal and push hard. Then release the e-brake lever. You will have to repeat this several times to get it adjusted. When you get 4 t0 5 clicks on the e-brake lever, then you are in good shape. I do this procedure about once a month. Note if you get more than 5 clicks after doing this, then your cable probably needs tighten."

Nolan

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock