Another Getrag Failure by Matt Hawkins
Started on: 05-22-2007 04:44 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 05-23-2007 08:52 AM
Matt Hawkins

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2007 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Well, I finally got to mending the Fiero. I was fully expecting to find differential carnage as I had before. I knew there was a hole somewhere inside the bell housing. When I pulled the transmission out, I noticed that the shaft the has the pinion gear was trying to push it's way out of the transmission and into the bell housing area. Several cracks were formed at the bell housing side. This happened as I was coasting to a stop and I think a piece of "something" was in the trans and a gear grabbed it pushing this shaft to the side and fracturing the case. Either way, I have a new Getrag in and the car runs again. Just barely in time for Power Tour, but ready to go.

------------------
62 Buick Special
86 GT, 5-Speed
87 GT, 3.4l DOHC Turbo 389 HP @ wheels
88 Toyota Supra Turbo

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post05-22-2007 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
....... Jnco I hope you're taking notes.

Matt how much power are you currently putting down at the wheels? I read somewhere that you planned on cutting back after pushing 400whp. Ever get there and back off, or where you trying when it went?

Edit: how many reliable miles do you have on the motor since turning up the boost? I'm torn about forged pistons and SBC rods; $1000 could go towards a better intercooler and turbo. It sounds like your getting along fine with just the ARP and Hyper's if you're blasting 282's.

[This message has been edited by Emc209i (edited 05-22-2007).]

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2007 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
I am still running ~400 HP at the wheels. I beat on the car and expect to break parts eventually. I was just suprised that it wasn't the diff that failed. Again, these have been very high mileage transmissions. I am impressed with what they will deal with.
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-22-2007 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
gah, read edit. You beat me to the post.
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2007 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
I have two years at this power level. And going on 5 years on this engine with only a head gasket needing replaced. I am well over 40k miles on the engine with the turbo. Transmissions and axles are another story. They are less predictable.
Fierobsessed

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2007 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
It'd be cool If we could see a picture of this

Be aware, the ONLY thrust bearings this transmission has are the two that are on the end of the transmission that has the steel cover plate. There are two of what I guess could be described as hollow center 12pt. "Bolts" that secure the gear shafts to the bearing that is held by the case and cover plate with shims. Unless these shims were not properly shimmed, or the "bolts" backed out or possibly the inside of the case cracked behind the thrust bearings, the pinion bearing should have NEVER delivered any thrust force to the case. I have a feeling something like this could have caused this particular failure. If you can do so, please disassemble the transmission and look for these potential problem areas to see if they caused your particular problem.

If you decide to get another getrag transmission, knowing what to look for is going to help you and us a lot.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2007 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Matt Hawkins:

I am still running ~400 HP at the wheels. I beat on the car and expect to break parts eventually. I was just suprised that it wasn't the diff that failed. Again, these have been very high mileage transmissions. I am impressed with what they will deal with.

Matt: You must be aware that the GETRAG was designed for 200HP and 250 ft lbs of torque max. Try a trans that will not blow out, and will shift faster than any human can. The 4T65eHD; the trans that's been built to take 1000 HP. My philosophy is that a powertrain must be designed to work as a complete assembly. When I see a GETRAG behind a 400HP engine it doesn't make any sense to me. Why use a light duty trans like this in the first place when you know that the trans will be shrapnel after a number of full power runs? If you must have a stick, perhaps the new GM 6 speed will prove stronger.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo- 0-60 5.2 seconds
2006 3800SC Series III swap in progress
Engine Controls, PCM goodies,
re-programming & odd electronics stuff
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 05-22-2007).]

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2007 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
I will post pics when I can. I have been busy getting ready for Power Tour. I agree about the thrust of the cross shaft. I suspect a piece of diff spider gear caused this. We will see.

Dennis, I know full well that this trans wasn't designed for the power I am putting through it. But neither was the 4T65eHD. Sure parts have been developed for it to handle more power, but I personally like driving a manual trans. And I think the 282 has been a very impressive transmission. I don't drive my car gently and I think the transmission would last considerably longer if driven a bit softer. But that isn't what my car is for. I drive it everyday in the summer and I drive it hard. I am content with it's reliability and longevity.
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-23-2007 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Dennis, I know full well that this trans wasn't designed for the power I am putting through it. But neither was the 4T65eHD. Sure parts have been developed for it to handle more power, but I personally like driving a manual trans. And I think the 282 has been a very impressive transmission. I don't drive my car gently and I think the transmission would last considerably longer if driven a bit softer. But that isn't what my car is for. I drive it everyday in the summer and I drive it hard. I am content with it's reliability and longevity.

Nicely handled.
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2007 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
I have the Muncie getrag bolted up to my 450hp V8. The last V8 Fiero I had had the same muncie transmission with over 30,000 miles on it without failure. The clutch was the weak link in my setup.
Now I'm running a Spec stage 3 clutch, so we'll see how long the drivetrain holds up.
Dave

------------------

1999 Mercedes ML430, 1987 Fiero GT 450hp,1986 Fiero SE
certified master technician

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2007 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

I will post pics when I can. I have been busy getting ready for Power Tour. I agree about the thrust of the cross shaft. I suspect a piece of diff spider gear caused this. We will see.

Matt: You are certainly entitled to build your Fiero any way that you wish. Was just pointing out a solution to eliminate problems by using an available, far stronger and more durable transmisson. I'd also be willing to bet that the 4T65eHD will hold your engines power without any problems with a simple adjustment to the software that will increase the line pressure which is set by the ELP solenoid. Hey if you enjoy driving a stick at WOT and don't mind periodically blowing up the GETRAG then everything is fine.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo- 0-60 5.2 seconds
2006 3800SC Series III swap in progress
Engine Controls, PCM goodies,
re-programming & odd electronics stuff
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page