Started on: 12-19-2007 08:19 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: the reverend on 12-20-2007 05:17 PM
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
I am probably going to just buy one in the spring but for the time being has anyone built one? Someone posted a swedish link in another thread. I have been googling the crap out of it, its popular on the truck forums and camaro forums but everyone only posts schematics. No real how-to or parts list. Between Christmas and new years I am doing a tuneup on my and another members car (which is running terribly) and a scan would help alot. Anyone want to tell me what I need and how to make it, or point me to a good hot-to elsewhere?

All I am finding is this kind of stuff
http://syclone.invisibill.net/cablewires.gif
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Just go here and you can get the software and cable drawing. Easy to make.

http://winaldl.joby.se/
tjm4fun

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
umm, click back to mainpage link, links on left, winaldl. they have schematics. and the software for the fiero.

I had a really nice link that tells you how to build the same circuit and check it, also had some leds so you knew it was on.
unfortunately, I think the link is dead.... I have to research it further...
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Dodgerunner thats the link I had but I need a deedadees guide on how to make it. Unless I was looking on the wrong place on that swedish site.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Here is what I used:

http://couleefiero.tripod.com/ALDL.htm

Worked first time....
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Perfect hudini, where is a good place to buy the DB9 hoods? All radioshack lists on their site is DB9 extension cords that are like $17 and you can't cut up.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
They have them at the store. All the parts are very cheap (price and quality).
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Alright well I eventually will buy the real deal but does this one work just as well?
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
it works perfectly. the biggest problems people have is with laptops that don;t have a rs232 port, and have to use a usb converter.
not all converters work.

I built mine into the hood (a longer one, not the short one shown in that article. they had that also at RS. along with 3 micro switches, and then hardwired it into the car harness. routed the cable out the back of the console and it sits behind the passenger seat. one switch is short a/b, one is a 3.7k, the last is 10k, so I have all modes available without removing any car parts.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm that sounds bit complicated for me, I was just going to do exactly what was in the Hudini link. Will that do what I need? I just download WinALDL, plug it in go? Yeah I don't think my laptop has the right port I just have one that has a symbol on it that looks like I0I (0 is more of a square) and it has 15 little holes in it. How much is a converter ughhhhhhh and which ones work.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
My oldest pentium 2 laptop has a serial port, my slightly newer pentium 3 does not. If you have anything newer than pentium 3 then odds are you would need a serial-to-USB converter. I'm guessing you would be better off buying a dedicated USB-aldl cable.
PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mr.PBody:

Hmmm that sounds bit complicated for me, I was just going to do exactly what was in the Hudini link. Will that do what I need? I just download WinALDL, plug it in go? Yeah I don't think my laptop has the right port I just have one that has a symbol on it that looks like I0I (0 is more of a square) and it has 15 little holes in it. How much is a converter ughhhhhhh and which ones work.

Your IOI is the monitor port that will not work. The serial would be a 9 pin plug the same shape as the monitor port.

If you don't have a 9 pin then you probably have a USB which is a flat plug. Needs the adaptor...
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post12-20-2007 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
The operating system is also critical. Versions of Windows later than ME tend to not allow software to have direct access to the hardware pins in the actual connector, and WinALDL needs that access in order to work properly. Vista in particular and also some versions of XP seem to have problems allowing WinALDL to access the serial port hardware, and in those cases the only real option is to go with the Oliver USB ALDL interface. USB to serial converters also have problems more often than not, again because WinALDL may not be able to access the serial pins on the other side of the USB part of the adapter.

My preference would be an old Win98SE laptop, it doesn't need much memory or hard disc space at all, are pretty much guaranteed to have a real serial port, and they should be cheap and easy to find.

JazzMan
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2007 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
I am running vista on my laptop, I do have access to macs but I am assuming the WIN in WINALDL kinda rules that out. I know what a USB port is, I have a forum buddy who lives nearby with a cable and working computer but I was trying to do it myself. I may just have to wait and get him to scan it for me. Maybe I'll look for an old laptop or get a super old dedicated winaldl shop desktop.
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2007 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
winaldl works fine on windows xp. not too sure about vista tho, alot of programs have issues in it.
You can often get an old P2 laptop for around 100$, the issue is the batteries are usually shot.
I am using an IBM T30, it;s a p3, it has a serial port, runs xp nicely, and can even play COD1 ok. they are available used for around 300 with a cdrw/dvd. makes a great travel pc, watch vids and diagnose your car!
also have another obdII program and adapter that uses the serial port that works fine under xp.
the t2x series of thinkpads also have rs232 ports, are p2's, run xp (but kinda pokey) and are pretty cheap now. Kinda prejudgised on the thinkpads, especially the T series T2x and T3x are the made by ibm ones and are pretty tough machines, alot were used by corps and are now available in the refurb/used market for a good price.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2007 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Meh maybe, I don't feel like dropping $300 right now, and even if I had it, I would just buy a USB aldl and try to get one of my machines to run winaldl.
the reverend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2007 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for the reverendClick Here to visit the reverend's HomePageSend a Private Message to the reverendDirect Link to This Post
I'll be making one hopefully this weekend. If you want, I'll make one for you.

Rev.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock