3.1 in the way it is by f machine
Started on: 12-25-2007 01:21 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: ohio86se on 12-27-2007 03:18 PM
f machine

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2007 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for f machineSend a Private Message to f machineDirect Link to This Post
i got my first fiero but it had a big hole in the motor so i got a 3.1 out of a 1993 sun brid and i need to no if i can put in the way it is or do i need to strip it down and put the fiero parts on it .
i had a frend helping me he said that i can go the way it is and just change the ends to the new motor will that work i think that i will need the ecm from the doner car .HELP
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
shawnkfl

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2007 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkflSend a Private Message to shawnkflDirect Link to This Post
it's basically the same block the 2.8. strip it down to a short block, drill new holes in the opposite side for the starter. if your fiero is anything but an 88, you'll need a flywheel (or flexplate) for a 88 fiero (or equivelant) to get the internally balanced 3.1 to work. transfer all of your fiero top end and you're done. still looks stock.
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2007 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately it may not be that simple, if it's from a front wheel drive car the starter will already be in the proper location such as in this case in a 93 sunbird, however the problem will be with bolt hole size in the front of the engine for the timing cover, at least three of them are larger than the holes in the Fiero cover, which would have to be drilled out and enlarged including the water pump holes, a hole in the cover has to be plugged, the block has a roller camshaft, the pistons are dished for the aluminum heads so you'll lose some efficiency with the lower compression ratio when using the iron heads but it will work fine otherwise. If you have the second design timing cover 87-88 it will work with the aluminum oil pan, if you have an 88 cradle you will have to clearance it for the aluminum oil pan. The Fiero oil pan will not work on the fwd block without changing the rear main cap along with it the last time I checked, and that would be to risky a transplant without making sure clearances were within limits without the align boring.
f machine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2007 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for f machineSend a Private Message to f machineDirect Link to This Post
i got the motor in . but i need to pull it out agin and i need to no if i can put in the way i got it out of the sunbird ?
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2007 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by f machine:

i got the motor in . but i need to pull it out agin and i need to no if i can put in the way i got it out of the sunbird ?

Sounds like you mean install the engine complete with aluminum heads in which case the answer is yes. You'll need to notch the deck lid to clear the alternator and make a dogbone mount. You could use the stock computer from the sunbird but it will be easier I think if you use a 730 ecm from the 90-92 Beretta 3.1 which would only require repinning the necessary terminals at the Fiero plug unless you are using an electric automatic transmission. There are instructions on how to do that under the 730 ecm swap thread.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/079574.html

[This message has been edited by Joseph Upson (edited 12-25-2007).]

f machine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2007 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for f machineSend a Private Message to f machineDirect Link to This Post
yes you right that is what i ment thank you
f machine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2007 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for f machineSend a Private Message to f machineDirect Link to This Post

f machine

25 posts
Member since Dec 2007
i have the ecm from the sunbrid and it is a7730 . my car is a 1986 se saved from the junk yard .i was going to do a kit car but starting to like the way it is so i am going to leave it that way.

i have seen the fiero on the net and on this site they are grate .
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2007 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
this thread is chaulked full of bad information.

the 3.1L motor from a sunbird only shares the basic block that the 2.8L does.

to use that "block" in your fiero without redoing the entire engine wiring harness you'll need

3.1L iron head pistons from a camaro/firebird

use the fiero's heads, intake, timing cover, and oil pan.

the 3.1L alloy head motors like the sunbird has will physically bolt in, but the wiring harness is different, it doesnt use a distributor, and the pistons are different compression because of the smaller CC of the alloy heads, however the 3.1L motor will run much better than the iron head 2.8L thats in a fiero.

matthew
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2007 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by m0sh_man:

this thread is chaulked full of bad information.

the 3.1L motor from a sunbird only shares the basic block that the 2.8L does.

to use that "block" in your fiero without redoing the entire engine wiring harness you'll need

3.1L iron head pistons from a camaro/firebird

use the fiero's heads, intake, timing cover, and oil pan.

the 3.1L alloy head motors like the sunbird has will physically bolt in, but the wiring harness is different, it doesnt use a distributor, and the pistons are different compression because of the smaller CC of the alloy heads, however the 3.1L motor will run much better than the iron head 2.8L thats in a fiero.

matthew

He's already made it clear that he's installing the complete engine and that the ecm included with it is a 730 ecm so a repin at the plug end should be all that's needed and by now he knows that it's a DIS ignition system so changing the necessary plugs at the engine end of the harness goes without saying.

I've setup two of these engines with fiero parts and you can not bolt the Fiero oil pan to the engine without changing the rear main cap, if you do oil will poor out the back end of it because the steel pan from the Fiero is different from the aluminum pan at that location. The timing cover bolt holes are also different at three positions as well . Some mis information provided maybe but I would stop short of saying bad.

[This message has been edited by Joseph Upson (edited 12-25-2007).]

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2007 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Would it be easier to just use the entire Sunbird engine wiring harness and mate it to the necessary Fiero wires?
f machine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2007 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for f machineSend a Private Message to f machineDirect Link to This Post
i got ecm the but the harnnes was scrap i got the motor in and a frend of mine thought he be nice when i was at work and help me by change the ends at the motor with the fiero harnnes that i had
in hope the old ecm would work but when i got home i told him abought the coil pack and the nock sensor and i did not think it would work so i came hear to see what you all thought on how to do this
PFF
System Bot
SpeedDemon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2007 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedDemonSend a Private Message to SpeedDemonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joseph Upson:

I've setup two of these engines with fiero parts and you can not bolt the Fiero oil pan to the engine without changing the rear main cap, if you do oil will poor out the back end of it because the steel pan from the Fiero is different from the aluminum pan at that location. The timing cover bolt holes are also different at three positions as well . Some mis information provided maybe but I would stop short of saying bad.

You must be thinking of the third gen V6s (ie. 3100). The second gen 3.1 from a cavalier/sunbird has a stamped steel pan.

As for running it, I second checking out the 7730 ecm swap thread. The 7730 was the ecm that would have come in the sunbird. If you follow the instructions for modifying the fiero harness that are discussed in that thread, it should get you most of the way there (plus the changes for DIS).

Have Fun!
Chris

[This message has been edited by SpeedDemon (edited 12-26-2007).]

Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2007 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SpeedDemon:

You must be thinking of the third gen V6s (ie. 3100). The second gen 3.1 from a cavalier/sunbird has a stamped steel pan.

As for running it, I second checking out the 7730 ecm swap thread. The 7730 was the ecm that would have come in the sunbird. If you follow the instructions for modifying the fiero harness that are discussed in that thread, it should get you most of the way there (plus the changes for DIS).

Have Fun!
Chris

I checked the 60 degree V6 forum and in the family tree 1993 is when the engine received the aluminum oil pan. He states it's a 93. Since he's using the complete engine it will not be a problem. http://wiki.60degreev6.com/...%C2%BAV6_Family_Tree
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2007 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by f machine:

i got my first fiero but it had a big hole in the motor so i got a 3.1 out of a 1993 sun brid and i need to no if i can put in the way it is or do i need to strip it down and put the fiero parts on it .
i had a frend helping me he said that i can go the way it is and just change the ends to the new motor will that work i think that i will need the ecm from the doner car .HELP

I have just replaced the 3.1 in my son's 95 GrandAm do to a lower intake manifold gasket leak. From what I understand and have read these engines are infamous for this gasket leaking water into the oil. It would be my advise to replace this gasket set with the upgraded set from GM.

------------------

" DRIVE IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT"

Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2007 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ohio86se:

I have just replaced the 3.1 in my son's 95 GrandAm do to a lower intake manifold gasket leak. From what I understand and have read these engines are infamous for this gasket leaking water into the oil. It would be my advise to replace this gasket set with the upgraded set from GM.

Good point, he should also consider going through the bottom end with a fresh set of bearings also, a very inexpensive piece of insurance.
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2007 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
im not 100% sure here, and i dont like giving information that isnt 100% accurate, but:

if the motor says 3.1L multiport injection ontop of it, it should be the steel oil pan like the fiero uses, if it says 3100 ontop of it it will be the alloy oil pan.

93-94 were odd years where both motors were available from what i recall. 93 might have had some very very late year 3100's

matthew
f machine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2007 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f machineSend a Private Message to f machineDirect Link to This Post
you are right is has a steel oil pain.and i was going to get runing befor i put a lot money in to it but a lower end was on my list
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2007 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
If it has the steel oil pan it might have a different configuration on the lower intake manifold and the gasket there might not be a problem.
I really don't have that much information as to the type of oil pan but, I will say that if you have the vintage of 3100 I had in this 95GA it had problems.

------------------

css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2007 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ohio86se:

If it has the steel oil pan it might have a different configuration on the lower intake manifold and the gasket there might not be a problem.
I really don't have that much information as to the type of oil pan but, I will say that if you have the vintage of 3100 I had in this 95GA it had problems.

The MPFI engines (such as this Sunbird engine) never had the intake manifold gasket problems anywhere near what the 3100 SFI engines did. Its virtually a non-issue.

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2007 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

Thanks!! I will crawl back into my hole now!!..............

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock