3.1 Swap by xypher-alexis
Started on: 04-06-2008 10:49 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Joseph Upson on 04-08-2008 11:36 AM
xypher-alexis

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for xypher-alexisSend a Private Message to xypher-alexisDirect Link to This Post
I've tried doing a search about this, but not much luck. I've got a chance to get a 3.1 V6 out of a 96 grand am. If I get a 4 cylinder car, will it be a problem to put a 3.1 in it? will it be more work than a V6 car, i guess? Ive read that the 3.1 and the 3100 are very different engines. My future father in law is a mechanic, so he will be helping thankfully. Basically, does the 3.1 have the same motor mount points as the 2.5 or 2.8? Will i need a cradle from a V6? Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
xypher-alexis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2008 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for xypher-alexisSend a Private Message to xypher-alexisDirect Link to This Post
anyone?
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2008 03:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
If it's a 1996 Grand Am it has a 3100, not a 3.1.

The V6 and 4-cylinder Fiero cradles are the same. However, you will want a lot of stuff that a V6 Fiero has. The front mount bracket, transmission (if you want a manual), fuel pump, and instrument cluster from the V6 Fiero are all things you'd want to use. If you are sticking with the Grand Am's automatic transmission, you will need to fabricate transmission mounts. The 2.8 Fiero front motor mount bolts up to a 3.1/3.4 block, and I think the 3100 should have the same mounting points as well.

------------------

1988 Pontiac Fiero 3.4 DOHC V6 5-speed
California Smog Legal!

xypher-alexis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2008 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for xypher-alexisSend a Private Message to xypher-alexisDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info. So a 3.1 would be easier? instead of a 3100?
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2008 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by xypher-alexis:

Thanks for the info. So a 3.1 would be easier? instead of a 3100?

A needed specific here is Fiero 4 and 6 cylinder cradles are the same however 1988 cradles are different from the previous years and if you are swapping in an engine with an aluminum oil pan you will have to clearance the front engine mount pad in addition to a small notch necessary for the oil pan to clear the "L" shaped engine mount bracket that you should use over the 88 "U" shaped bracket.

Some of the early 3100 engines had steel oil pans I believe not sure what the cutoff year is. Otherwise search for a 3400 swap which differes little if at all from what you are trying to do since it is an aluminum head fwd engine. The tranny may or may not need custom mounts, some of the earlier 4 spd autos had the same brackets as the Fiero auto and some later models that did not still retained bosses to accept them, if necessary you could probably modify stock Fiero brackets where necessary.

If you haven't purchased the car yet it is wisest to start with the kind of platform closest to what you are trying to achieve, don't buy a manual Fiero with the intent of converting it to a V6 automatic. A V6 harness will get you off to a great start also, otherwise an 85-86 4cyl harness can be made to work with the 96 PCM specific for the engine which is best, although you'll have to add a bit more wires.

Look up merlots 3500 thread, it will get you going. The 3100 is an upgraded version of the 3.1 other than that dimensionally and function wise they require the same work to install.

[This message has been edited by Joseph Upson (edited 04-07-2008).]

Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock