Drain / Replace manual transmission fluid by KG4ONJ
Started on: 05-17-2008 09:33 AM
Replies: 7
Last post by: KG4ONJ on 05-19-2008 07:52 AM
KG4ONJ

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KG4ONJSend a Private Message to KG4ONJDirect Link to This Post
I need to drain and replace the fluid in my Formula's 5 speed Getrag transmission but I can't find any documentation about how to do this. Would anyone be willing to provide a brief walk-through of the process? I read the fluid info on the Ogre's Cave so I think I'm square on which fluid to use (the Synchromesh, right?). Refilling process would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Find the drain plug which should be below or on the side of the case below the axles. On the 4sp it's on the bottom of the case.

To fill you remove the VSS sensor by cleaning around it then taking out the 10mm bolt that holds it in. Pull it slowly straight out so the plastic speed gear does not fall off. If t does you need to carefully fish it out of the opening. I use one of those springy claws that you can get for a $1 at the parts stores.

On the short shaft of the VSS you will see two lines for the oil level that you use as your dipstick to check as you add oil. You can take the gear off while your testing and put it back on when done. It just pulls off the shaft. Be sure you seat the VSS all the way back in when checking the level.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 05-17-2008).]

KG4ONJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KG4ONJSend a Private Message to KG4ONJDirect Link to This Post
Thanks so much! Do I need to use a hand pump to pump in the new fluid through the VSS port or is there a horizontal fill cap/port somewhere that I'm missing?
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Oh, I forgot, I don't have a Getrag, but I remember they are suppose to have a small dip stick on them somewhere. At least some of them do.

Here is a post with information about the trans differences.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/063783.html

The syncro bottles usually have a small spout so I just get the bottle down to the VSS hole and squirt it it.
You might be able to use the dip stick hole on the getrags...

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 05-17-2008).]

KG4ONJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KG4ONJSend a Private Message to KG4ONJDirect Link to This Post
I think you're right (I might have read that somewhere too). Either way, how do I fill the case?
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Added to the above post. Just squirt it in one of the holes. Use a funnel if you have to.
figure on about three quarts it think.
ktthecarguy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 167
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ktthecarguyClick Here to visit ktthecarguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ktthecarguyDirect Link to This Post
According to my Chilton's manual, fill it through the dipstick hole, up to the level of the hole. Approximately 2 quarts for the Getrag.
KG4ONJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2008 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KG4ONJSend a Private Message to KG4ONJDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to all for the info. I had to drive to three different parts stores to get enough of the Pennzoil Synchromesh fluid. The draining/refilling was no problem after that but it did take nearly 3 quarts to fill up to the "full" line on the dipstick. Thanks to all for the help!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock