Started on: 06-13-2008 03:02 AM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Rodrv6 on 08-14-2008 06:46 AM
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2008 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
ok, i had to get a used steering column because some moron tried to steal a car from in front of my house.
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=krZ4Guvv36o[youtube]

I found a manual transmission column with cruise and delay wipers, but it had this extra module attached to it.
i've seen it in the past, but never paid much attention to it.

my 85 with delay wipers doesn't have this.
the 86 with delay wipers that was broken in to doesn't have this.

when did GM start using it, and what does it do?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ly41181

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2008 04:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ly41181Send a Private Message to ly41181Direct Link to This Post

fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2008 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
In my 84 I had the delay wiper switch in the column when I got the car, I am guessing the original switch went bad and was accidentally replaced with the delay switch.

So I got a car that looked to have delay wipers that didn't work.

I delved into the delay system and found that the 84 models had the module you found, it installed in between the plugs that connect the steering column to the under dash wiring harness and it has a single ground wire.

If you have the delay switch installed it's pretty much a plug and play deal after that.

After 84 GM switched to a circuit board in the Fiero wiper motor itself, you still need the delay wiper switch in the column though.

I located the module in a junk yard 84 and installed it and now I have delay wipers.

Steve
Myke

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2008 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MykeSend a Private Message to MykeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierohoho:

In my 84 I had the delay wiper switch in the column when I got the car, I am guessing the original switch went bad and was accidentally replaced with the delay switch.

So I got a car that looked to have delay wipers that didn't work.

I delved into the delay system and found that the 84 models had the module you found, it installed in between the plugs that connect the steering column to the under dash wiring harness and it has a single ground wire.

If you have the delay switch installed it's pretty much a plug and play deal after that.

After 84 GM switched to a circuit board in the Fiero wiper motor itself, you still need the delay wiper switch in the column though.

I located the module in a junk yard 84 and installed it and now I have delay wipers.

Steve

Both my 84 and 88 have delay wipers... I don't see the "extra part that is not extra" on either car. Both cars delay function work flawlessly.

([O/T]while my 06 GP has intermittent wipers that intermittently decide to work intermittently. Did that make as little sense as I think it did? basically, they jump up to wipe, but don't move until the next cycle. Every other cycle. I know it is an 06 GP, but anyone know what's up with that? I'll take it in O/T if you start a thread or PM)

So where is this part supposed to be, and how do the wiper work if the part is missing?

Myke
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2008 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
thanks Steve,
i'm pretty sure I've had this information in my head before but being such rare need for it,I just let it slip away

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 06-13-2008).]

spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2008 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
This was used on the 84 only. Is the p/n 15598496?

edit: This module is still available new from Rock Auto for $37.79. The 84 Fiero isn't shown in the application listing:

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 06-13-2008).]

Myke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2008 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MykeSend a Private Message to MykeDirect Link to This Post
OPPS!! found it on 84... it was buried in the wrong place and floating.... N/M sorry. it is here on the 84... looking at my pics, it has been moved... maybe even extended on the pigtail.. looks like butt splices... will have to look when I get home.
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2008 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverDirect Link to This Post
does anybody have a pic of 84 pulse wiper relay?
thanx
jon

------------------
I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2008 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2008 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverDirect Link to This Post
thanks spark1, now i know what to look for at the scrapyard, now if i could only find it on my car.....
jon

------------------
I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2008 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
It's supposed to be stuck up under the carpet, almost up under the dash right next to the front of the center console. Hard to find, and why they put it there is beyond me.
PFF
System Bot
Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2008 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

It's supposed to be stuck up under the carpet, almost up under the dash right next to the front of the center console. Hard to find, and why they put it there is beyond me.

Hmmmm...... on both 84's that I had, the module was mounted under the dash next to the steering column. I was the original owner of one of them and I know it was never under the carpet..........

------------------
Rod Schneider, Woodstock, Ga.
"You can't have too many toys!"
1988 Fiero GT
1966 Porsche 911
Van's RV-6 airplane-under construction

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery