quad 4 by ke4mns
Started on: 12-25-2006 01:56 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: josef644 on 09-28-2008 09:41 AM
ke4mns

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2006 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ke4mnsSend a Private Message to ke4mnsDirect Link to This Post
hey,this is a great place so much info ,im glad i found it ok,how about sombody sending info on quad 4 swap,i got the 3800 swap info just getting all the info i can on what i might want to use for a swap later mark
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Quad GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2006 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTDirect Link to This Post
sanderson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2006 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post
High level overview of the Quad 4 swap:

Rewiring complexity is similar to other foreign engine swaps like a 4.9, 3800 or fuel injected SBC

Exhaust system is relatively simple. The V-6 Fiero muffler works well and sounds good. A cat can be squeezed behind the engine. Assuming you have a V-6 muffler and tips the rest of the parts in stainless including a cat are about $225. Fitting the tubing together takes some fabrication skill. A chop saw to cut the tubing is very desireable. TIG welding is best for sticking it all together. I fitted everything up and tack it with a MIG and then took it to a small welding shop and he TIG'd the 5 welds for $100.

Customhoses will have to be made to connect the A/C system. The cradle also has to be modified to remove the hump in front to create clearance for the A/C compressor.

At least on an '84 and I beleive other years as well the tortion bar for the rear deck lid has to go. A gas strut can be used in ot s place or a broom handle in a pinch

The engine can be mounted to the cradle by adding two welded on mounts to the cradle. At this point in time there are no kits. I I do having a standing offer to provide a modified cradle or prefabbed mounts that can be welded on yourself.

Coolant and heater hose connections are straightforward.

There are different options for fuel connections. I believe the '84 fuel delivery tubing can be bent so the hoses can be made to fit. Also can make a system with braided stainless and AN fittings if you wants to spend some money for looks.

The Fiero throttle cable works

Stock Fiero radiator even 4 cylinder version works fine.

Stock V-6 Fiero air intake works fine with a piece of aluminum dryer duct between the air cleaner and throttle body

The biggest issue with a Quad 4 can be what it takes for the clutch and transaxle. The Quad 4 uses a Getrag 5 speed with it own bell housing pattern. Now if your Fiero is a 5 speed Getrag right now it not too expensive to make the Quad 4 Getrag work. Rodney Dickman sells a FWD Getrag conversion kit and slave cylinder adapter and you're good to go for under $200. If you are starting with a 4 speed or Izuzu 5 speed Fiero then the cost go up. Rodney still has most of the stuff but you have to add Getrag cables, transaxle brackets, new slave cylinder, and a new shifter if starting with a 4 speed. I think then the costs are in the $750 range but these could be brought down if you can scavenge stuff used.

IMO the Quad 4 makes a fun sports car out of the Fiero. It'll do 100 mph in 3rd gear so driving twisty back roads in 2nd and 3rd gear is a blast. But if you're looking for something to show off at the drag strip there are other options to consider that are in the same cost range.
jsmfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2007 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jsmfieroSend a Private Message to jsmfieroDirect Link to This Post
so your saying you wouldnt recomend this swap for drag racing and low end power. And how difficult is it to modify the hump in the fiero cradle for the quad four.
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2007 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
i used a 88 coupe for my quad4 conversion, i did not remove the torsion bar, but lowered the engine about 1" lower on the passenger side so it had good clearance.

also, the 88 cradles dont require any cutting to make the ac area fit.

worked out nice.

matthew
sanderson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2007 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jsmfiero:

so your saying you wouldnt recomend this swap for drag racing and low end power. And how difficult is it to modify the hump in the fiero cradle for the quad four.

It takes 1-2 hours to remove the cradle hump for A/C compressor room depending on how fast you cut, weld and grind. You cut the top of the hump off with a torch and weld in a flat 1/8" plate. Then weld in a piece of plate or bar stock across the bottom of the arch.

jsmfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2007 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jsmfieroSend a Private Message to jsmfieroDirect Link to This Post
are there any other major modifications that need to be done, besides motor mounts
sanderson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2007 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post

are there any other major modifications that need to be done, besides motor mounts

The exhaust system takes a bit of fit work if you need/want a catalytic converter. I'd figure 20 hours. The V-6 Fiero muffler works well sounds good with this engine.

The wiring harness is a bunch of work but no different than other swaps. I'd figure 40 hours.

The Quad 4 swap uses a Quad 4 transaxle. It's a FWD Getrag but with the Quad 4 bolt pattern. If you don't have a Getrag Fiero it take a bunch of money for cables and conversion hardware but it can all be bought mainly from Rodeny Dickman. You can build your own shift mechanism to use 4 speed or Izuzu cables but I'd figure on 20 hours to do this.

The rest of the stuff is fairly minor. See my first reply for more details.

[This message has been edited by sanderson (edited 06-18-2007).]

jsmfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2007 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jsmfieroSend a Private Message to jsmfieroDirect Link to This Post
how difficult would it be to turbo the quad four in the fiero?

and how much would you charge for motor mounts, if the offer still stands?

[This message has been edited by jsmfiero (edited 06-19-2007).]

Mr. Project

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2007 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. ProjectSend a Private Message to Mr. ProjectDirect Link to This Post
I'm in the middle of a quad swap and I don't know if I've got the mounts right. I started out with a Beretta GTZ that a kid had rolled and tried putting in the engine in the cradle with the original mounts and axles from the GTZ. After I had it mounted and put back in the car with the axles attached it was too low and the inner joints were rubbing on the cradle. I started looking and the transmission mounts looked like they had gotten squished over the years so I replaced them with poly mounts from Rodney I think. (It's been a few years.) This propped up the transaxle high enough that I had to raise the two mounts on the other end and things started looking pretty clunky on that end. I decided to start over with another cradle and use the Fiero axles. I looked at the original Duke and Isuzu transaxle and noticed how it was mounted and it looked pretty simple to copy it. One of the Isuzu brackets bolted right up to the Getrag I think it was the forward one and the other went on with a little bending and welding. I just used these brackets for mocking things up as I don't think they're strong enough to last. I was thinking of trying to run this without a dog bone so I'll weld up a set out of 1/4" using the modified ones as a pattern. I looked at the mount on the front of the Duke and it was a simple basket mount. Looking at the front of the Quad showed that it had bosses already tapped for a different mount so I tried to adapt the Duke mount to the quad. I wasn't even close so I ended up making a new mount out of 3/16" or 1/4" plate with a 2" stiffening tube around the outside that I had a local shop mill out of a 2" square tube over the lunch hour for $20. I kinda build up the mount around the engine and then welded on a guesseted tab on the lower edge to mate up with the original Duke mount on the cradle. The engine's in the car now and the axles look like they're about in the original position (they plugged right in with no trouble) and I've got plenty of clearance around the a/c compressor. The only problem I have is that the Quad is just a little taller than the Duke and the mounts put the cam cover right under the passenger side reinforcement of the hood. I need to section out about 1/2" of this rib to get everything to close up nice and neat. Someone told me there is steel reinforcement in the ribs and I was wondering how hard it would be to remove the part I need out and make it look neat. Anybody out there done any surgery on the underside of the hood?
I'm also going to put in shorty headers to get the exhaust to line up a little better. The Quad manifold points out at an angle, and while I could make it work it would be pretty close to the trunk. I got a header plate from Mantapart and a pair of shorty headers for a Ford (ick) Mustang because I found out the spacing of the exhaust ports is pretty close and the adapters I'll have to weld up to go from oval to round will make up the difference. Any opinions on this idea?
Another question is about the shifting arrangement. I have the Isuzu shifter and looking on Rodney's site he states there is a difference in the shifters and they're not interchangeable. Can I use one of his shifter linkages to mate the Isuzu shifter up with the Getrag? I was planning on modifying the shifter for a shorter throw anyway so are there any other modifications that need to be made? I bolted up the Fiero slave cylinder up to the Getrag bellhousing just to keep it out of the way and it looks like it might work. Anybody know if this will work for sure, or will I have to get the slave out of the Beretta?
I trashed the original throttle cable too so I got a replacement out of a v6. I haven't had a chance to fit it yet, any suggestions there?
I'm sorry I don't have any pictures to post. I didn't have a digital camera when I was working on it and didn't think to take any film pictures as I didn't want to show off my poor blacksmithing skills. I might try and get some pics this weekend. The car's buried in the garage under a ton of stuff so it might be a struggle. Any suggestions on how to post pics? I'm a bit inexperienced in things like this.
Sorry that I've been a bit long-winded. I've had this thing going in spurts for a few years now and I'm trying to work up enough enthusiasm to finish it. I can't afford to do much more experimenting and I'd like to know if any of the things I want to try sound feasable. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
sanderson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2007 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post

how difficult would it be to turbo the quad four in the fiero?

and how much would you charge for motor mounts, if the offer still stands?

A turbo can be fit in behind the engine. Search for threads by Bryson here on PFF. He did one albeit a very all out project making close to 400 HP.

My first preference would be to modify a cradle for you with welded on brackets to fit the OEM Quad 4 mounts. I'd do this for $250 but I'd need a cradle in return and you'd have to pay shipping both ways to San Antonio. greyhound might the best bet on shipping. I've got a spare engine/transaxle to work with so the cradle I return should just make mounting your engine/transaxle nut and bolt work. For just the mounts that you could weld on yourself $150. If you just want advice on how to do it yourself that's free.

PFF
System Bot
sanderson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2007 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post

sanderson

2203 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by Mr. Project:
I'm in the middle of a quad swap and I don't know if I've got the mounts right.

The clean way to do this is to use Getrag brackets available through Rodney Dickman. These brackets used with standard Fiero rubber mounts will position the transaxle at the right height and correct right/left position. Standard Fiero manual driveaxles will then plug right in

The only problem I have is that the Quad is just a little taller than the Duke and the mounts put the cam cover right under the passenger side reinforcement of the hood. I need to section out about 1/2" of this rib to get everything to close up nice and neat.

The centerline of the crank should be about 5" off the top of the cradle. For an '84 this will require notching the rib in the deck lid. For later years no nothching should be required. When I notched the lid on my '84 I just got in there with a 4.5" grnder and just ground away.

I'm also going to put in shorty headers to get the exhaust to line up a little better. The Quad manifold points out at an
angle, and while I could make it work it would be pretty close to the trunk. I got a header plate from Mantapart and a pair of shorty headers for a Ford (ick) Mustang because I found out the spacing of the exhaust ports is pretty close and the adapters I'll have to weld up to go from oval to round will make up the difference. Any opinions on this idea?

There is not a problem getting the exhaust down past the trunk with the stock manifold. Without a cat the exhaust is fairly easy. With a cat it takes some close fit up to position a cat behind the engine and ahead of the cradle. But I've done it twice with good results

Another question is about the shifting arrangement. I have the Isuzu shifter and looking on Rodney's site he states there is a difference in the shifters and they're not interchangeable. Can I use one of his shifter linkages to mate the Isuzu shifter up with the Getrag? I was planning on modifying the shifter for a shorter throw anyway so are there any other modifications that need to be made? I bolted up the Fiero slave cylinder up to the Getrag bellhousing just to keep it out of the way and it looks like it might work. Anybody know if this will work for sure, or will I have to get the slave out of the Beretta?

The Izuzu shifter ( i.el. the lever on the console) is basically the same as the Getrag shifter. However Izuzu cables will not work. You need to either buy Getrag cables and Rodney Dickman's FWD conversion kit or fabricate your own shifting mechanism back on the transaxle. There are however Izuzu transaxles that came with the later 2.4L twin cam that will bolt to the 2.3L Quad 4. These can use the Izuz cables.

The Fiero slave can work with the Quad 4 Getrag but you need Rodeny Dickman's slave conversion kit to space it out further from the clutch release lever.

[This message has been edited by sanderson (edited 06-19-2007).]

jsmfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2007 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jsmfieroSend a Private Message to jsmfieroDirect Link to This Post
i might have to take that offer for just the mounts, but got another question. I was wanting to use a getrag 5 speed. I had read that the bell housing is unigue on the quad four. So can you only use a quad four getrag or can you also use any 5 speed getrag. And is there any axle cutting involved or can you use the fiero axles on another getrag transmision.
Mr. Project

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2007 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. ProjectSend a Private Message to Mr. ProjectDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the input. I'll see if I can get some measurements this weekend when I try and take some pictures.
From what I've been able to gather, the Getrag transmission is different between the Quad and the v6. You need a transaxle from a Quad motor to work. My axles were the originals used with the Isuzu transaxle and went in just fine.
sanderson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2007 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post

i might have to take that offer for just the mounts, but got another question. I was wanting to use a getrag 5 speed. I had read that the bell housing is unigue on the quad four. So can you only use a quad four getrag or can you also use any 5 speed getrag. And is there any axle cutting involved or can you use the fiero axles on another getrag transmision.

You need a 2.3L Quad 4 Getrag or a 2.4L Twin Cam Izuzu. The bellhousing case half has the Quad 4 bolt pattern. The other half of the case is dimensionally the same as the same named Fiero transaxle. Thus the Fiero axles work as well as the Getrag or Izuzu transaxle brackets which attach to the rubber mounts.

The Quad 4/Twin Cam bell housing pattern I believe is unique to that engine. I don't think there are other FWD transaxles that will fit.

darelu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2008 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dareluSend a Private Message to dareluDirect Link to This Post
with the getrag tranny you can change the bell housing from any getrag to another this takes around 1-2 hours i did it when i blew up my getrag behind my 2.8 and put a 91 quad 4 ho getrag in it's place because in 91 the h.o quad 4 had a lower 1st gear and a taller 5th gear if you need pics i'm happy to share some.
email me at DNUNRUH@SHAW.CA

------------------
darel

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2008 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Did any Quad 4's come with an automatic? No one has mentioned automatics.
Joe

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock