Is there a way to Stop the wipers ? by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 01-16-2009 07:39 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 01-17-2009 02:22 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
1985 plain fiero with intermittant wipers. EVERY time I turn the key on, the wipers take 1 swipe then shut off, it agravating. is there a way I can tap into 1 of the wipers wires, & put a toggle switch in so the power is CUT except when I want them on ? OR, is there a cure for this nonsense?! My 87 GT has a habit of taking 1 swipe whenever it feels like it ! Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I just have the fuse pulled until I need the wipers. It's pretty easy to reach.

Yes yes, I'll fix it properly one day when there's nothing else wrong with the car.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Mine does that too, actually it kinda does it whenever it wants. Used to seem to do it only when i passed another Fiero goin the other way, Thought my car was waving at it ! I looked it up a while ago and remember finding stuff about it calling them "ghost wipers" I think on here and FieroSecrets.
Tinkrr

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinkrrSend a Private Message to TinkrrDirect Link to This Post
Remove the wiper motor cover where the wiring connects, remove the connector, clean all the contacts, spray everything with contact cleaner, plug the connector back into the board, replace the cover
Try it.
It's a cheap fix.
Works for me!
Hope it works for you.
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:
1985 plain fiero with intermittant wipers. EVERY time I turn the key on, the wipers take 1 swipe then shut off, it agravating. is there a way I can tap into 1 of the wipers wires, & put a toggle switch in so the power is CUT except when I want them on ? OR, is there a cure for this nonsense?! My 87 GT has a habit of taking 1 swipe whenever it feels like it ! Thanks

A fairly common problem with our Fieros' wipers is what you've described, or some variant thereof.

For example, my `86 GT's wipers sometimes would take one swipe when signaling a left-hand turn!

For my Fiero, the fix for that aggravating, intermittent wiper problem was a new wiper switch (inside the steering column).

One of the Pennock's Fiero Forum threads on the "phantom wipers" problem that may be of interest to you is: "Flaky windshield wiper switch" (accessible via this link: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...2/HTML/076132-3.html ). You'll find numerous others about our Fieros' wiper problems if you search for the term, "phantom wipers." Good luck!

Rocky Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rocky TopSend a Private Message to Rocky TopDirect Link to This Post
Been using this "temporary fix" for . . . uh . . . about four years.

Pull wiper fuse. Find a blown fuse. With soldering gun melt the plastic just over both posts on the fuse. Take two pieces of wire. Solder one to the first exposed post, the other to the other post. Wrap with electrical tape. Put an in-line fuse of correct size on end of one of the wires.

Add a rocker switch between the in-line fuse and the other wire. Mount switch under dash. Plug in fuse.

Presto . . switch on when you need wipers. Switch off when not. Phanton gone.

NOTE: If anybody else drives the car be sure to give them operating instructions. Forgot to tell my wife. She drove it. It rained. She was mad.

I have seen threads on here about the proper repair. Do a search. One of these days I will get around to doing it.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
thats about what I had in mind. was just hoping there was a correct fix. already did the switch & cleaned the terminals.
sleebbie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sleebbieSend a Private Message to sleebbieDirect Link to This Post
Had that same problem on my 86. At first I would pull the fuse out and just put it in when it would rain. Then I figured out (and this may work for you or not) if I were to just barely turn the wiper switch into the "on" position (not enough to actually turn them on) it would make it so the wipers did not come on until you really needed them. Might work for you that's about as easy a fix as there is if it does.
topcat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2009 04:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
Had the same problem on two separate Fieros. On the 86SE I lucked out and changed the wiper circuit board and it fixed the problem. On the other (86GT) I tried cleaning the contacts on the circuit board, changing the board, using a Rodney Dickman repair kit (not sure if he still has them) and none of that worked. I finally gave in and changd the wiper switch, and presto. The wiper switch for the 86 was over a hundred bucks... $175.00 if my memory serves me. So I bought a wiper switch for an 88GT, which was only 35 bucks. It worked great.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2009 05:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Cadillac for a time actually had theres set up to make a swipe when you started your car. Supposed to keep the windshield clean for lazy azzes. Just tell everyone, you have that option
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2009 06:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Mine are possessed.
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2009 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
sounds to me , that those Caddilacs had the same malady as our Fieros! who who design a wiper to take a swipe upon start ?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock