Original finish on Centerline wheels? by What about Bob
Started on: 02-24-2009 06:18 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: americasfuture2k on 03-02-2009 07:13 PM
What about Bob

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2009 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for What about BobSend a Private Message to What about BobDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know what the original finish on the Centerline wheels was? I've searched to no avail. I’ve seen the polished and I’ve seen them beat up and fuzzy with oxidation. I've seen them all satin. I heard somewhere that the rim itself was polished, but the center section was brushed.

I’m asking so I have some idea how to restore mine.
***EDIT FOR CALRIFICATION***
What I meant by "how to restore" was which finish to apply, brushed or polished, as I've previously searched for and found various methods to use.
I do appreciate all of the inputs that I'm receiving. Thank you!

I hope this year allows me time to work on my widebody. I’d like to get the wheels redone and some tires bought while someone still makes 255 50 -16s.

Foxgapfiero’s posting looks like the polished rim, with satin center.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/043712.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

------------------
Bob
84 SE IMSA Widebody
87 GT 5spd
05 Vibe

[This message has been edited by What about Bob (edited 02-27-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
What about Bob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2009 04:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for What about BobSend a Private Message to What about BobDirect Link to This Post
ttt
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2009 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Have you contacted Centerline?

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

What about Bob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2009 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for What about BobSend a Private Message to What about BobDirect Link to This Post
I haven’t been able to determine what type/series/model wheel these are, so Centerline is no help. That’s another piece of information that would be helpful. What type/series/model wheel are they?
Some have referred to them as “Champ 500s” which they aren’t. The Champ 500’s have 5 holes, while these have 8.
There must be someone here with the answers.

------------------
Bob
84 SE IMSA Widebody
87 GT 5spd
05 Vibe

[This message has been edited by What about Bob (edited 02-26-2009).]

rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2009 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Most wheels these days are just polyurathane clearcoated. If thats starting to deteriorate, I just strip them and polish leave them bare. Routine cleaning keeps them nice. I got a set of old original mags for my Coronet with no clear. It sets outside all winter. I just occasionally clean them up with mag wheels paste to keep them new. Rubbing compound can be used to make bare mags high gloss like chrome and if you want a satin sheen, use courser steelwool or scotchbrite pad in only a back and forth direction. My GT40 had original 40 year old ET mags and had been sitting in a field for many years. I sanded them with 80 grit, then 120, then 400 wet. Rubbing compound by hand made them look new.

not the best sample, but you can tell how nice they look here (only one I have loaded online right now)

Look at the rear one, these were black and gray with huge pits and really nasty.
What about Bob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2009 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for What about BobSend a Private Message to What about BobDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info Roger. I don't think the Centerlines were clearcoated, I know mine weren't. Mine are currently "Fuzzy", with a nice layer of aluminum oxide. No damage that I can see. I've got a large and small PowerBalls waiting to be used. I'm trying to find out how they were finished at the factory so I know which way to restore them.

I was also curious if the "Modular" riveted wheels could be clear coated.

Here are older ( 3-4 years old) pictures of my wheels:

Front

Back

I cant tell if that is the original satin finish or if the PO sanded them

[This message has been edited by What about Bob (edited 02-26-2009).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2009 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
The choice is up to you, they all start out the same. I preferred the duller fininsh on my Ferrari kit, and just did the steelwool/scotchbrite on them. If you want them really polished, use your power ball and rubbing compound, followed by mag polish. Thats all the factory does if there not clearcoated. The rivet heads are always a problem. Clear may not stick around them, and if you dont, that will be the first place to start corroding again. If they were mine, no clear and keep plenty of wax on them around the rivets.
KEV

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2009 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KEVSend a Private Message to KEVDirect Link to This Post
The Centerline wheels are call the Q style wheels.

------------------

1999 GMC Jimmy 2dr 4x4
1986 Fiero Base Coupe...NO OPTIONS !!
1985 Fiero GT 3800 N/A (3800 S/C sitting on stand)
1984 Fiero Indy #1098

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post02-26-2009 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
I am sorry, but I do not know the finish on those sweet wheels. But, I know a thing or two about polishing aluminum wheels. I have refinished over twenty sets of wheels. Please disregard if you go with the satin finish.

For that mirror shine...
1. Buy some Mothers Wheel Polish. This stuff rocks when it comes to aluminum. Nothing can compare. Use as the can reads.
2. Power ball the centers with the polish.
3. To do the lip of the rim, raise the rear of your Fiero, and secure her with blocks and jackstands. Mount one bare rim at a time onto the rear hub.
4. With car running, place transmission in 2nd gear.
5. Simply apply Mothers Wheel Polish with a soft cloth. The rotation of the wheel acts like your own lathe. The lip will only take a minute or two to finish.

Whichever route that you go, you have some seriously nice rims there. Good luck to you, and post pics when you are done.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 02-26-2009).]

What about Bob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2009 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for What about BobSend a Private Message to What about BobDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KEV:

The Centerline wheels are call the Q style wheels.

Thanks KEV, I now have a start.

Searched the web for Centerline q style wheels, using various combinations and all I could find was a cached ad of a car for sale :

15 inchers on a VW bug, woohoo!

not having much luck

------------------
Bob
84 SE IMSA Widebody
87 GT 5spd
05 Vibe

What about Bob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2009 04:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for What about BobSend a Private Message to What about BobDirect Link to This Post
I just had a thought about the satin or brushed finish. If you don’t clear coat the wheel, how can you protect the finish?

------------------
Bob
84 SE IMSA Widebody
87 GT 5spd
05 Vibe

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2009 05:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
On 2 of my cars with just bare alloy, I just keep them clean, use mag wheel polish. Even driving on winter roads. I had the Coronet out cruising yesterday. Just having clearcoat is not 'magic' so you can let them go for weeks or months without washing. Most of the time, I just use a squirt bottle of plain water and a rag, wipe them off. To me the difference between clear and not cleared is I can fix uncleared ones, stuck with cleared ones

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 03-02-2009).]

americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2009 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

im more interested in the girl. what a looker! she yours or is that just a randome pic of the wheels and the gt40and girl came with it? i think she needs to be in the girls without a fiero topic.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT
MPG Display for OBD I

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock