Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Stripping the interior and reducing weight.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Stripping the interior and reducing weight. by doublec4
Started on: 07-26-2008 02:13 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: ghost187x on 07-27-2009 12:51 PM
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2008 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
If I were to strip my interior and lose most creature comforts, how much weight do you think the car would drop? Would it make a noticible difference in handling and acceleration?

If I was looking to shed some other pounds on the car, where are some good places to start?

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2008 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
There are a number of things that you can do to reduce weight. You can remove:

Things to remove:
AC compressor
Spare Tire
Jack
Cruise Control acuator
Cooling tubes and the fan for the coil pack and alternator (if you have a V6)
Passenger Seat
Interior Carpeting
Remove trunk carpeting
Radio
Speakers
Put the driver on a diet

Remove crash reinforcement such as gutting the doors *** This is not recommended if you drive the car on the road or a road course. It is mostly for 1/4 mile cars ***

Things that cost money:
Get a smaller lighter battery such as a Odessey battery for race purposes or a Miata battery for regularly driven cars
Buy lighter wheels
Tube frame and suspension parts
Lexan Glass
Racing driver's seat
Install a lighter engine
joshh44

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2008 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
you can also gut out the dash to. get rid of all the air duct stuff back there. removing all carpet is a good one. get lighter seats will also help.
you can remove the bumper bar piece. but i wouldnt.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2008 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Here are the weights of some Fiero interior pieces, according to my bathroom scale:

Dashboard (including HVAC ducting) -- 13 lb
Instrument Cluster Bezel (just the bezel, not the gauges) -- 4 lb
Console (the whole thing, including the plastic skeleton) -- 20 lb
Seats (with rails) -- 35 lb each
Carpet (all of it, including the padding) -- 40 lb
Seat belts -- 3 lb each

You could drop about 100 lb off your car by removing the passenger seat, passenger seat belt, console, and carpet. While the 100 lb weight loss won't be noticeable on the street, it will be noticeable at the track. Also, the gutted interior will be a lot louder. So get some ear plugs!
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2008 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Hmmm, so hardly worth the effort at the moment for the street...
DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2008 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
Yep, not worth the effort in my opinion. Your call though.

------------------

joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2008 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
if you want you can spend some cash for lighter parts
i just removed the carpet padding. it was all gross anyway and i didnt feel like replacing it.
could do that.
but its not really worth the hassle in making it lighter for street use unless you want to gain alittle MPG
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2008 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
you could take a hole saw of various diameters and start drilling many holes in the space frame .with structural integrety in mind and lose 100's of lbs ..but you will notice a draft, or 2 unless you plan for that too
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2008 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

you could take a hole saw of various diameters and start drilling many holes in the space frame .with structural integrety in mind and lose 100's of lbs ..but you will notice a draft, or 2 unless you plan for that too

I read that a NASCAR team did that and tried to cover the holes up with duct tape. When their car was inspected, the inspector pulled some tape back to see what was under it and they got busted.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post07-27-2008 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
weight loss is the easiest way to a faster car,, just carry a passenger, you can feel the lost performance ,A man my size is like an anvil/anchor,,especially at the speeds you attain around town,just moving the battery to the front helps with balance of car .never think that "just 100 pounds" will not make a difference .. the first pocket rockets were the honda civic,s,the 80,s honda civic CRX ,si will outrun a Fiero V6,deliver ,28 mpg around town ,, handle,s great,fun ,,fun to drive( extra fun) the performance comes from only weighing 2100 pounds ..I do not care for jap cars but this thing is phenominal ,a great car to have in a $5 a gallon world
I am cheap so I look for used parts in good condition lite weight seats,wheels,, I wait till I need tires then install lite weight tires & wheels the most important weight loss is in the drive train flywheel ,clutch pressure plate, the axles, the brake rotors,, inertia and rotating weight is the most important,,next weight that is high on the car..A/c is the biggest offender a real drag on performance,but so important for comfort in the south,, up north you can install a small fan for summer.. you remove 200 pounds then remove another 50 by smaller lighter parts, shift knob ,,lighter battery box, a lighter radio, one speaker lite weight sun visor roll up windows lug nut bolts are shortened,holes drilled in axle mate surface..if the starter goes, a mini starter (more expensive) if the flywheel needa resurface . drop 3 pounds from the outer edges ..if you are buying new shocks take bath room scale to parts house ..if you want to keep water flaps,use lite material ,lighter roofing paper,.ect... lite weight muffler (cherry bomb,shorter pipe) ask about lite parts,, Blacktree recently clued me to lite weight Stock fiero wheel..2 equal cars install 8 pound lighter wheels,the lite weigh wheel car will pull away from the other car,,the original mag wheels were so the mag wheel car could pull other cars out of the corner,, INERTIA,,,,in rotating mass as in women lighter & trimmer is better ,you need a spare and jack see a porsche at the salvage yard check for aluminum jack & liteweight spare(not likely) the mazda 626 and some other mazdas have a lite weight steel jack you can use ,,or carry tire repair kit & inflate a tire cans in Canada you can eliminate headliner paint with insulation paint,, heaters are for girls and wimps eliminates problem area..keep mirrors only as required by law..spare cash ?? aluminum wheel lug nuts,, the 13 pound batteries are only for the engine that starts quickly..the dyna(14pounds) batt is expensive! this battery it is derived from is a much cheaper one,,can,t remember the name,, you can install a battery from a very small car this will save 8 pounds,easier to mount up front,, you can mount small battery in cab behind pass seat,(not recommended) but you need to vent it..G. M. has a smaller lighter compressor (R4??) but it needs to be rebuilt carefully !!does not have good reliability record ..each time you work on car and have part off see if an oz can be removed

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 07-27-2008).]

Fog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2009 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FogSend a Private Message to FogDirect Link to This Post
Just as a side-note... (I'm preparing a 1/4 fiero at the moment and gutting everything)

The door reinforcement bars weigh only 11lbs a piece, so for a car that sees open roads even a single mile a year, that is not recomended.
PFF
System Bot
ghost187x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2009 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xDirect Link to This Post

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock