Interesting find inside 88 Beretta Getrag by Matt Hawkins
Started on: 05-13-2009 09:45 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Will on 05-13-2009 02:06 PM
Matt Hawkins

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2009 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
I got another trans from an 88 Beretta. When I split the case, it has the stronger spider gears in the diff usually associated with the later Q4 cars.

------------------
62 Buick Special
86 GT, 5-Speed
87 GT, 3.4l DOHC Turbo 415 WHP, 11.9 @ 118
88 Toyota Supra Turbo

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Scoobysruvenge

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2009 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ScoobysruvengeSend a Private Message to ScoobysruvengeDirect Link to This Post
Matt,

I have heard a rumor similar to this, it was a 1989 z31 cav. Do you think this is the original transmission or maybe it was relaced at some time?

------------------
Scoobysruvenge

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2009 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
This was surely the original transmission. Nothing leads me to believe otherwise. The car had 106k miles on it. Looked like the original clutch was in it.
Scoobysruvenge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2009 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ScoobysruvengeSend a Private Message to ScoobysruvengeDirect Link to This Post
Matt,

There are several of these 5 speed cars in the local bone yard a 1990 and I am unsure of the other car, I thought the transmissions in these cars were Isuzu units, but I am going from my thread memory.
Two local bone yards are a Kidney foundation yards with set prices 69.95 for a Chevette or 69.95 for a Corvette transmission it makes no difference.
I will be poking around these yards this week, is there an easy way to spot the Getrag at a glance ???????
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2009 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
the getrags have a steel plate bolted on the outer end. like this:

the fwd linkages are not the same, but the case is. also the later years have a filler plug on the side opposite the speedo pickup.
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2009 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
The shift shaft was surprisingly easy to change out if anyone is worried about this. If you can split the case, this is just as simple.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2009 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Good thing my Fiero has a Getrag from an '88 Beretta in it.
Scoobysruvenge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2009 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ScoobysruvengeSend a Private Message to ScoobysruvengeDirect Link to This Post
I called GM and requested the 87, 88 and 89 Beretta spider gear part number/s the parts guy lists only one number for all three years 14076988 this part number also references to 87 and 88 Fiero spider gears. I also had him pull the 93 and 94 Caviler spider gear numbers and came up with 86811797. This leads me to believe that the transmission you have must have come from another car or it is one special transmission that GM does not list parts for. Either way it’s a sweet find!
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2009 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Well they might have superseded the part numbers. I don't know if you need a new diff housing for the larger gears, but they may have changed the part numbers for the older versions.

Unless someone did this on purpose, I didn't think any of the 282 V6 cars got the bigger gears.

[This message has been edited by Matt Hawkins (edited 05-13-2009).]

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2009 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
The larger gears actually use a *smaller* cross-pin. This gives the gears more wall thickness. The later fully machined carrier, obviously has a smaller hole for the smaller cross-pin, so the carriers are not interchangeable.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock