Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Installed Ford Striker Bolts but "tingy" metal sound still there...

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Installed Ford Striker Bolts but "tingy" metal sound still there... by FieroFanatic13
Started on: 07-14-2009 02:44 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Larryh86GT on 07-17-2009 03:53 PM
FieroFanatic13

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2009 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Direct Link to This Post
I've installed the Larger Ford Door Latch Striker Bolts https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/101817.html which pretty much removed the up and down play I used to have at the latch end in both doors. Big rattles are gone! But I've still got a "metallic" sounding "tingy" noise, similar to a cheap little steel bell that seems to almost completely go away when I grab the top of the window while going over bumps and which I don't hear at all if the windows are up. Should I be looking at the regulator assembly or maybe the window channel here? Anyone know right off what it likely is?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
-Gary

[This message has been edited by FieroFanatic13 (edited 07-16-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DougC

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2009 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DougCSend a Private Message to DougCDirect Link to This Post
I read in a previous post about this that it could be something as simple as a rock stuck in the door, so if you have the time maybe take the panel off and feel around in there. Once you're in there you can also look around for any loose screws or other items.

Are your hinges good still? In my door I have the same tingy squeeky noise you describe, but I have yet to replace my striker since I need to replace at least one hinge pin as well (hey might as well redo both along with the rollers, and since I'll have the panel off install my new dew wipes... when I'm not lazy )

I'd also recommend looking for any visible wear on parts of the door to see if it's still rubbing a bit.
FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2009 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by DougC:

I read in a previous post about this that it could be something as simple as a rock stuck in the door, so if you have the time maybe take the panel off and feel around in there. Once you're in there you can also look around for any loose screws or other items.

Are your hinges good still? In my door I have the same tingy squeeky noise you describe, but I have yet to replace my striker since I need to replace at least one hinge pin as well (hey might as well redo both along with the rollers, and since I'll have the panel off install my new dew wipes... when I'm not lazy )

I'd also recommend looking for any visible wear on parts of the door to see if it's still rubbing a bit.

My hinge pins are in good shape. No sag on my doors as of yet. I'm thinking it's something to do with the window guides/frame myself. The sound is like a thin piece of metal, possibly a bracket or something that's rattling and making that "tingy" bell type noise. I'd rather not take the panels off just to inspect, but I may have to...
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-15-2009 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Take a flash light and look down the inside of the glass between the glass and the door frame. I bet that your black square cloth pads are worn. I am going to do my DIY-Stu wipes here in a day or two. I need to inspect mine then. The windows on my 87GT rattle when down also. But, the music my engine makes, tends to drone out the sound of the rattle.

------------------

raysr11

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2009 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Direct Link to This Post
What year, model, Ford striker's do you use?
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2009 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by raysr11:

What year, model, Ford striker's do you use?

Archived thread,,,, be sure to thank sjmaye
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...219-2-080920.html#p0

Current thread on door striker bolts,,,,
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/101817.html

In as far the the pinging sounds inside of the door, it's fairly easy to pull the inside cover off for a look see, the C-ring holding the window crank is the only part that gives me the raspberries. Fierohoho has written a thread on this very subject here,,,,
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...030819-2-028780.html

Be sure to post your findings, I'm curious to what is making the noise.
sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2009 05:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
May want to check the little connecting rods behind the inner door panel. The tend to rattle against the metal door frame. Someone posted splitting some vacuum line and sliding it over these to isolate them. I did it and it did help. Just have to be sure it does not rub and make the mechanism stick.

[This message has been edited by sjmaye (edited 07-17-2009).]

FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2009 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by sjmaye:

May want to check the little connecting rods behind the inner door panel. The tend to rattle against the metal door frame. Someone posted splitting some vacuum line and sliding it over these to isolate them. I did it and it did help. Just have to be sure it does not rub and make the mechanism stick.

I know what you're talking about, and the noise I'm getting is a really tingy almost "bell" type noise as opposed to a "rattle" noise. I'll have to just remove the door panel and take a look see. I was trying to avoid that due to the condition of my interior because I didn't want to risk any potential damage that might occur while prying and pulling, lol...
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2009 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Check the door mirror ....
Larryh86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2009 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sjmaye:

When I was in my door putting new locks on it I found the plastic holder the connecting rod clips onto was broken off. I put a short piece of vacuum line on the connecting rod and taped the vacuum line to the door frame. Works fine and I used large enough vacuum line that the rod slides with no problem.

------------------

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat & drink beer all day.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock