Calling all Quad4 Gurus by BMTFIERO
Started on: 10-03-2009 06:43 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: BMTFIERO on 10-06-2009 08:24 PM
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 06:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post
Well, I just purchased a Quad 4 engine from a 1991 Oldsmobile Calias 442 it came complete with 5 spd tranny, all accessories and ECM and harness. This engine will be going into my 88 coupe. My question is what additional parts do I need, what do I need to look out for when starting this swap. Also does anyone have the wiring diagrams to wire this to Fiero? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BMTFIERO:

Well, I just purchased a Quad 4 engine from a 1991 Oldsmobile Calias 442 it came complete with 5 spd tranny, all accessories and ECM and harness. This engine will be going into my 88 coupe. My question is what additional parts do I need, what do I need to look out for when starting this swap. Also does anyone have the wiring diagrams to wire this to Fiero? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not a 100% sure of this , but I think you'll need some different shifter cables and a higher pressure fuel pump. Anyway I'm giving it a bump.

edit: Here's a good thread to start with. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/079252.html

[This message has been edited by 2farnorth (edited 10-03-2009).]

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
i think there are some archived build threads .try a search there .
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
The Q4 used the 282 transmission, so all transmission mounts and shift cables from a Fiero with the 282 transmission will work. You will need transmission-end shift linkage from Rodney Dickman to adapt the FWD shift shaft to the Fiero.

The clutch hydraulics will need to be adapted.

Beyond that, it's usual engine swap stuff... look up build threads.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
The Quad 4 is a high RPM engine that makes most of its horsepower above 3000 RPM. Some early versions of this engine make as little as 120 HP. Not that it is a bad choice but if a V6 were chosen and you go through all the work to complete a swap you could have more horsepower with the same amount of work . . If you are dead set on this engine here are some facts:
The LG0 version ( an optional upgrade) High-Output 2.3 L produced 180 hp from 1989 to 1992, 175 hp in 1993, and 170 hp in 1994. If it says high output on the engine cover then you have this engine. Compression ratio is 10:1 and its runs premium gas exclusively. However there was a standard low output 160 HP version that isn't a great step up from the Duke especially in low RPM power..
The W41 version was the highest-output Quad 4 ever made at 190 hp in 1991 and 1992, and 185 hp in 1993. The additional 10 hp (7.5 kW) came from longer duration cams and from ECM reprogramming. It was offered as an extra cost option on the Olds 442 and Achieva only.
While the Quad four was made for about 12-14 years it never had a great record for reliability and longevity but some Fiero owners like them and enjoy their driving characteristics. .

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Comealongway

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ComealongwaySend a Private Message to ComealongwayDirect Link to This Post
ok this is my second time writing this, i hate that i lose everything you write if your password is wrong

I'm at work so I'm doing most of this off the top of my head.

Electrical

C500 (one by battery)

Fiero - Description - quad
Purple - starter - connect to starter solenoid
brown - alternator - connect to alternator plug (tan/white ???)
white - tach signal - black/white on idi cover
collant sensor (one for gauge and idiot light) direct plug in
reverse switch (green and blue) direct plug in

you will need to modify you speedo signal with rockcrawls circuit
you will need to modify your tach capacitor if you have v-6 gauge cluster

Mechanical:

if you have 4 cylinder fuel pump you will need a v-6 fiero pump, as you need 40psi at the rail

Mounting:
look up Bryson on the forums as i think he welded to a 88 cradle.
tranny will bolt to fiero mounts then you will have to fabricate your own to match the quad 4 mounts, the front mount (under the intake) is garbage, I went through many off them and also they cost 200 at the dealer, I'd recommend making one out of hockey pucks, I've had one for 3 years and it is great, especially for launching. also if you have a notch back, don't level out the motor once connected to the tranny mounts, i had to lower the timing chain side of the motor inorder to clear the trunk lid

Coolant:
get a coolant tee for the outlet at the thermostat so you can burp it, the stock fiero hose will work
for the inlet you'll need a 24inch flexible hose to go from the fiero passanger side to the underside of the water pump
the heater hose will work on the outlet, but the inlet you will need to cap off the one on the underside of the water pump and tee in near the gas tank.

transmission;
there are 4 things you need from rodney, a select cable bracket, a shift cable bracket, a shift linkage to bolt to tranny, and a bracket to adapt the external fiero slave to an internal quad 4 one.

Additonal
cut out the existing mounting plate for the fiero engine mount (the one on the inside of the cradle on the belt side) this will interfere with taking off the oil pan if you need too.
check the casting of your head, take off the IDI cover and look down by the timing chain housing and hope you have 086 for the last digits as this is for the 180-190 Hp versions of the quad.

I got aggrivated after i lost that first post so shoot me more questions if need be, i've completed my swap on an 85 fiero that originally had the duke, to a 90 quad 4 now running on megasquirt and turbo charged.

I also have a ceramic coated exhaust manifold and full exhaust for sale if your intersted.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Sanderson here on PFF is supposed to come to the Ruckus. He has a black Quad 4 he did himself. I am sure he could answer your questions also.

engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 06:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
has any one changed the pistons to bring down the compression then turbo the engine .
Remember that when Olds brought this engine out they put one together with like 700 HP and did an endurance run with it i think and went over 250 mph .

Link to quad 4 racing parts http://www.mantapart.com/2324tc.html

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 10-04-2009).]

Comealongway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ComealongwaySend a Private Message to ComealongwayDirect Link to This Post
I changed out the slugs for 8.5:1 through ross racing, I'm running a stock crank going to test the limits I suppose. I've seen some videos on streetfire or youtube of a GT42R Turbo quad i think he got 500 plus out of it. i'm not sure if anyone could make a streetable 700hp quad.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
sounds like you are turbocharging how much boost and do you run Water/Methanol injection . My brother is doing some road racing and he said guy with WRX's and a guy with a EVO are runing Water/Methanol with 25 pounds of boost and making 500 to 600 HP
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5300 posts
Member since Mar 2006
sounds like you are turbocharging how much boost and do you run Water/Methanol injection . My brother is doing some road racing and he said guy with WRX's and a guy with a EVO are runing Water/Methanol with 25 pounds of boost and making 500 to 600 HP
PFF
System Bot
Comealongway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ComealongwaySend a Private Message to ComealongwayDirect Link to This Post
i got a long way to go yet, I'm running 5 psi, i need to get the noise out of my tach signal before i can crank the boost. It's really hard to tune it when it jumps around on the rpm signal.
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2009 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Comealongway:

. . . I also have a ceramic coated exhaust manifold and full exhaust for sale if your intersted.

Yes I am interested sending you a PM

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock