2.5 to 2.8 swap by salaciouse1
Started on: 10-17-2009 11:12 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: av8fiero on 10-17-2009 02:10 PM
salaciouse1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for salaciouse1Send a Private Message to salaciouse1Direct Link to This Post
I was recently given a 1984 2M4. I would like to swap out the 2.5 and the 4 speed trans for a 2.8 and a Getrag 5speed. What all will I have to do in order to do this? What year would be the best donor car. I have ton of ideas and am excited about the build, also is there anything that can be improved with the trans other than clutch pressureplate etc. I realize that this isn't nearly as ambitious as some of the incredible things that others have done, but I'm insistant on the 2.8 and I would really appreciate any info y'all could provide. Thanx
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post10-17-2009 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
Any fiero \that has combination you want ,,unfortunately most of these are 87,88 fiero,s higher priced just recently..
2.6 V6 should be available cheap,,be prepared to drive and pick it up

Your best option is to BUY a running V6 car especailly if you have never done a swap,, there are many advocates of swapping on this forum and they make it seem Homer Simpson could do a swap,not so..,
swap?? buy another car ?? the cost will be about the same .. unless you score eng/trans cheap,,Never, never think a swap is easy

You may luck out and a forum member close to you has a 2.8 V6 with 5 speed
I have a 4 speed and it is a good transmission around town ,, the 5 speed has a little better gas milage on the freeway/interstate

concider the 3.1 V6 ,,or the 3.4 V6 used from 90 to 94 in many GM cars just a little extra work,,,, there is info on this forum search feature about many swaps,,use search feature at upper right on tech..
SEARCH == 3.4 SWAP .......just type this in search and a plethora of info will be before you..
Enthusiasm is what is needed to complete swap

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 10-17-2009).]

bowrapennocks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bowrapennocksDirect Link to This Post
I swapped a 2.8 from an 86 into my 87. I do not know about the wiring differences on an 84 though. Like previously mentioned, the best way to do this is to start with a complete donor car. Here are my notes.

• You need the fuel pump and throttle cable from a 2.8L
• The left side for/aft coolant tube on the 2.5 is about 4-6” longer on the 2.5. You can cut it down, but remember the flare is no longer there, so double clamp it. I changed to the 2.8 coolant tube because I had one. It is a lot of work to snake this tube around the front suspension.
• The for/aft heater pipe that connects to the thermostat housing through a molded hose is different for the 2.8. I changed mine, but you don’t have to…just use more heater hose.
• There is a heater line that goes into the water pump on the 85-86 2.8 (hard line from the firewall, along the frame rails and to the back of the engine compartment). A hose connects this line to the water pump. You will have to replumb it from the 2.5 to the 2.8 (this line is eliminated on the 87-88 cars because the water return is plumbed into one of the for/aft coolant tubes).
• You need the dogbone from a 2.8…it is shorter
• You need an air filter housing, plastic elbow that is below it, and rubber boot that goes between the throttle body and air filter. It is a very tight fit around the shift cables if you use the Isuzu 5 speed. I made a new boot, but at least one person has used the stock 2.8 air intake boot.
• You need the engine harness from the 2.8+ECM+ECM mounting bracket (the 2.5 and 2.8 ECM have mounting screws in different places).
• I swapped in the engine bay cooling blower, and the rear wiring harness to power the blower. The blower cools the distributor and alternator. It was eliminated in the 1988 model and many people say it is not necessary.
• The 2.8 harness plugged in to the 2.5 harness and all worked with no issues. Harnesses are slightly different between AC/non AC, 4 sp/5 sp/auto. Depending on what configuration you have, there are wiring differences relating to clutch start lockout, auto/manual trans, AC etc. As far as I know, the locations for all wires are the same on the main connectors, but the wires may be omitted for some configurations. If you do not have access to wiring diagrams in a shop manual, try gaining access to the ALLDATA database, which seems to have the same information as a GM service manual. I have access to it at my local library. Sorry, you have to go to my library as it is not available on the Internet. I had to swap in the main harness from my parts car, as the fuse panel was badly corroded.
• The motor mount is the same, but I put in a new one, as well as new transmission mounts.
• I replaced all engine seals, the timing chain (the engine had 90K on it), the water pump (cast rather than plastic impeller) and had the injectors cleaned. There was a post somewhere on PFF on cheap but good places for injector cleaning. The car does not leak coolant or oil at all; a good investment while replacement was cheap and easy.
• I think the AC brackets are different; my coupe did not have AC, but I swapped it in from my parts car.
• I used the alternator from the 2.8 w/AC which is larger
• I also swapped in the AC, but the main wiring harness for AC controls is different. In the end, I had to swap the main harness only because the fuse panel was badly corroded on my otherwise rust free car. I was glad I had a parts car.
• I installed a new Fiero Store HD RAM clutch for the 2.8 with the Isuzu throw out bearing. You must match the throwout bearing to the transmission. This clutch works very smoothly and with low effort. A great clutch. The Fiero store told me to use a 2.5 clutch. While this would work, it is smaller in diameter and would wear out faster.
• I used the flywheel that came with the engine; 85-87 2.8 engines require balance weights on the flywheel. 88 engines are neutrally balanced. Putting the wrong flywheel on an engine would lead to early failure.
• I think the later year fuel lines are the same for the 2.5 and 2.8, but earlier are different (not sure)
• I installed the exhaust system from the 2.8. I would replace all of the exhaust manifold bolts with high strength (9.8) studs. My engine had three snapped off and I had to drill one out. It is much easier to do this with the engine out. Also check the exhaust manifolds for cracks. The one on my parts car (that had a blown engine) was cracked on the cylinder where the piston had a hole though it.
• I also swapped in cruise control and it works! If you swap the cruise into a car that did not have cruise, you have to change the rear wiring harness…the one that goes to the taillights.

Jim

------------------
Jim
[img] http://i494.photobucket.com...5/lopez_jim/Cars.jpg [/img]

[This message has been edited by bowrapennocks (edited 10-17-2009).]

salaciouse1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for salaciouse1Send a Private Message to salaciouse1Direct Link to This Post
thank you for the info. I appreciate your time. I still have to track down a donor and I'm not putting the 2.8 in stock so I've got a little time before it'll be finished. I've got a lot of other plans as well and I'll hope to post pictures. Thanx again
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Pictures if an article explaining how to swap a V6 into an 84.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

av8fiero

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroDirect Link to This Post
I swapped an 86 auto v6 into an 84 auto several years back. My donor car had heavy front damage but everything behind the windshield was good. I swapped the entire cradle/engine/suspension as an assembly. As for the wiring the 84 is substantially different vs. later fieros. I swapped out the entire rear harness and the entire interior harness and guage package from my donor car. You may be able to adapt the 84 interior harness but I chose not to as the 84 guage cluster has some differences from other years. Also a 4cyl tach will be out of calibration for the v6. The rear 84 harness would require heavy modification to make it work on a v6. Also don't forget about the fuel pump as the v6 pump is a higher pressure unit, I just swapped the entire tank assy from my donor car. I'm sure I left out alot of little things but those are the major items. Also an 88 rear cradle/suspension is entirely different from earlier years, therefore an 85-87 would make for an easier swap. good luck with your project

------------------
88blackchopv8

[This message has been edited by av8fiero (edited 10-17-2009).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock