Door ajar light on help?? by ALJR
Started on: 01-16-2010 12:08 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: ALJR on 01-17-2010 01:20 PM
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
Fiero is an 88gt...

My door ajar dash light stays on when everything is closed...
I see in the Haynes manual there is a hood (not trunk) ajar switch. Coild someone point me to the location of this switch; to aid w/ my troubleshooting...

I do not ever recall seeing this light stay on in the past. There were a couple of electrical items I took care of previous to this problem. The previous electrical repairs were:
-Did the coolant gauge fix
-Installed clutch safety switch on clutch pedal (for a 5spd conversion I did)

Thanks,
AL

**EDIT for more info**

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 01-16-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
Here is a pic of my hood latch. Some one in another thread stated the hood pin was next to the latch on the left! But I do not see anything...

LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroDirect Link to This Post
I tore apart an 84 and didn't see any thing for a hood ajar indicator. Although the trunk has one.
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LitebulbwithaFiero:

I tore apart an 84 and didn't see any thing for a hood ajar indicator. Although the trunk has one.

I am beginning to think the Fiero does not have on for the front hood... Although the Haynes manual and the Factory service manual show a switch in there wire diagrams...

Anyone know what else could cause the #10 wire on the C2 connector to always see ground?
I am going to disconnect all my door/trunk pins in the morning, just in case I missed something earlier... However, If the problem is with my door pins, the interiour light would also stay on...

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 01-16-2010).]

LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroDirect Link to This Post
I know some came with the switch for the front hood, because there was an optional light.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
My 88 coupe has a push switch on the driver side of the front hood latch. I had an ajar light problem because the hood wasn't pushing the switch far enough. So I put a stick-on foot on the hood above the switch. Problem solved. (And yes, my hood does close properly and is aligned properly.)

[This message has been edited by TopNotch (edited 01-16-2010).]

wolfwolf

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wolfwolfSend a Private Message to wolfwolfDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TopNotch:

My 88 coupe has a push switch on the driver side of the front hood switch.

[QUOTE]

All three of my 86's have the same switch just to the left of the latch mechanism. Also check your truck latch switch. The same switch that turns on the luggage compartment light also turns on the AJAR switch in the rear. sometimes they get worn to the point that they do not move far enough to make the AJAR light go off. Try manually turning off each of the switches to see if you can make the light go out.

ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
I am planning on installing an alarm in the very near future and need to get this resolved before I begin (for obvious reasons)...
Sidecar 2M6 SE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sidecar 2M6 SESend a Private Message to Sidecar 2M6 SEDirect Link to This Post
Here is the circuit diagram for the door ajar light in the 88.

I am pretty sure from 86 through 88 that the switches that are used to indicate a door ajar are in the latch assembly in each door.

Pre 86 cars have a seperate plunger switch on the frame of the door jamb in the cabin a bit above the striker post and 90 degrees to it.

I am also pretty sure that pre 86 cars have a pin switch in the left rear engine bay area that is used for the ajar light in the dash and for the rear trunk light.

86 through 88 cars have this switch for the trunk light/ajar light in the latch assembly in the deck lid.

I don't know if the front trunk lid courtesy light/ajar switch is located in different places depending on the year of the car. I own an 85 and an 86, they both have the pin switch in the spot descibed in the earlier posts in this thread

I would hazard a guess that a wire is broken at one of the ajar switches mentioned above and that it is grounding out and turning the door ajar dash light on. Or you have a bad switch that is shorted in one of the door latches or the trunk latch in the rear deck

I have used the wire at the dome light pin switch on the passenger side door jamb for a negative door switch input for a couple different alarm/auto starters in my Fiero's.
I use the passenger side wire because it is really easy to get at to tap into. This wire is also connected to the same point as the drivers door pin switch in the dome light circuit so either door opening will trigger the alarm.

The dome light circuit is a totally different circuit than the door ajar circuit and is not affected by a malfunction in the door ajar circuit. In other words the door ajar circuit not working properly will not affect an alarm installation using the dome light pin switch in the door jamb.

I hope this helps you.

Here is the trouble shooting info for the ajar light from the 88 FSM

[This message has been edited by Sidecar 2M6 SE (edited 01-17-2010).]

TeamPontiac88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TeamPontiac88Send a Private Message to TeamPontiac88Direct Link to This Post
My 88gt did the same thing. Open the trunk and push the switch with your hand and watch the light through the back window. Mine would go off if i pushed it with my finger but never by closing the trunk.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Door ajar switch has a connector in A post. Small black connector I think, behind kick panel. Disconnect the connector to see if the switch/wiring is bad.

Later years... Trunk switch like to wear out the plastic that hit the strike. Switch test good but can't hit the plastic part far enough to activate it.

For car that have it... Hood switch wires are:
Ajar light, Dk Green wire
Underhood Light, black/white wire (Is option but all car has wiring and socket.)

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 01-17-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
I am gonna go out to the shop in a minute, but this is what I have:

Doors have a plunger-type switch mounted on the A-pillar (front of door where the hinges are)
Rear trunk switch is located on the latch assembly
I have yet to determin if the front hood has a switch. I have no light and see no switch anywhere...

Will post back shortly my findings...
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

ALJR

3765 posts
Member since Jul 2009
I pulled the drivers door plunger switch, disconected one of the wires (there were two; white and tan)..
Pulled the passengers door plunger and disconnected the one wire that was there (only one white wire attached, no others to be found)..
Put an eraser tip wedged in the rear trunk switch and unpluged the deck harness...

Still have the light on...

Any more sugestions??
Is the drivers door supposed to have two wires as well? I traced the white wire back to the kick pannel and did not see any other wires going/leading to that switch...
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
No... Jam switch Is Not the Ajar Switch...

Jam switch is
Two wire... Dome light and ignition key warning
One wire... Dome light

Ajar switch is on door latch. See my post above.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 01-17-2010).]

ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

No... Jam switch Is Not the Ajar Switch...

Jam switch is
Two wire... Dome light and ignition key warning
One wire... Dome light

Ajar switch is on door latch. See my post above.

Uggg... All this time I thought it was the plunger... Back out to the car...

"Door ajar switch has a connector in A post"
What do you mean by A post?

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 01-17-2010).]

ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

ALJR

3765 posts
Member since Jul 2009
It is sooo much easier to trouble-shhot a problem when your looking at the proper items/location

THANK YOU theogre! Big + for you!

The problem was a mis-adjusted trunk switch. Was really hard to determin this as the light stayed on when I pressed the door plunger (w/ the door open)!
I am such an IDIOT! All this time I was trouble-shooting the doom light circuitry and not the adjar... Ohhh Well, live and learn...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock