Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Do You Need to Remove the Hood to change Radiator ???

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Do You Need to Remove the Hood to change Radiator ??? by California Kid
Started on: 03-21-2010 11:58 AM
Replies: 22
Last post by: jscott1 on 03-23-2010 12:37 AM
California Kid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
I'm curious if changing the radiator will turn into a two man job, does the hood " have" to be removed ???

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
I think you'll have to remove it. I tried to do it without removing it, and ended up pulling it. Not sure if it was just easier, or if it was in the way.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Easier with the hood out of the way. Trust me

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Direct Link to This Post
I did the radiator in my 84 without removing the hood with no problems at all.

[This message has been edited by johnt671 (edited 03-22-2010).]

skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Where there's a will... But, I'd say its easier with the thing out of the way.

Why are you swapping radiators anyway? Spring a leak somewhere or just feel like it?
My04gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My04gtSend a Private Message to My04gtDirect Link to This Post
wow that sounds good i was wondering the same thing. i got a 85 gt that looks like a 84 indy that i believe needs a radiator.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies ! I'll remove it, will get someone to help remove hood, so I don't bugger up the paint.

Reason for changing it out, the Hilborn Injection setup likes engine temperature to be in 170 to 185 range, I'm running a bit warmer than that with a custom copper radiator. Thinking of going with the 3 core Aluminum Custom. My electric radiator fan crapped out the first time I took the car out this year, so I figure if I'm going to pull it down to change fan motor, might as well do the radiator at the same time. Can't complain about the fan motor, it's 22 years old, and did have the heck worked out of it.

------------------

Car History: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/025670.html

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
No.... Hood stays.
I know... My Rad is bad. I'm teared it down now....

Right side headlight is out to make easer to get overflow tank and rad.
Mark headlight bucket to make it easer to put back.
Bucket...
Top 2 nuts come out.
Bottom 2 nuts are sloted. Loosen half way.
Oil the stud for headlight and tank before you put back in.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 03-21-2010).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Well now you have me thinking...............I'll start without pulling the hood, if it turns into a PITA, I can always have my son come over to help pull off the hood.

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 03-21-2010).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
There should be plenty of room to pull the radiator without removing the hood. Just remove the overflow tank and fan/shroud assembly first.

I was able to accomplish that (without much difficulty) in a campground at Yellowstone Park, using a socket wrench and a screwdriver. So doing it in the comfort of your own garage with plenty of tools at your disposal should be a piece of cake.

randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 210
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
There is NO need to remove the hood simply to R&R a radiator.

1. open hood
2. remove overflow tank hose clamp @ radiator cap neck then remove hose.
3. remove (3) 10mm nuts from overflow tank and remove tank
4. unplug harness from radiator fan motor and unclip harness from fan shroud
5. remove (4) 10mm bolts from radiator fan shroud, (2 @ top, 2 @ bottom)
6. remove rediator fan shroud
7. remove (4) 13mm bolts to upper radiator support, (2 each side) just inboard and forward of headlights
8. disconnect upper and lower radiator hoses, (and trans cooler lines if it's an auto)
9 lift radiator out

Installation is reverse of removal

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 03-21-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
If you have to do any cutting or welding you should remove the hood and cover the rest of the car.
BL3200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BL3200Send a Private Message to BL3200Direct Link to This Post
NO NEED TO REMOVE THE HOOD.
I did replace both Radiator and Condenser without removing the hood.
You might manualy rise the lights in order to have better access but nothing else

Hope this helps

------------------
Bernard
Fiero V6 GT 1987 (Manual)

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again for all the responses !!! Always great to know a little ahead of time, I did read V8Archie's comments on modifications required to install the Champion Alum 3 core, in another thread. Also read some comments on re-finishing the fan blades (remove sharp corners, fine sand blades to remove roughness, wax/urethane coat blades) to improve performance, that was posted by another member here. I should be in good shape to cool this baby down just a little bit, while I've got plenty of horse power, you do feel a little difference between running at 180 v/s 200 F, it's real nasty in the 170 to 180 range !

Spoilt_87fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spoilt_87fieroSend a Private Message to Spoilt_87fieroDirect Link to This Post
Yeah there is no need to remove the hood. I just did it and left the hood right where it was.
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

There is NO need to remove the hood simply to R&R a radiator.

1. open hood
7. remove (4) 13mm bolts to upper radiator support, (2 each side) just inboard and forward of headlights
8. disconnect upper and lower radiator hoses, (and trans cooler lines if it's an auto)
9 lift radiator out

Installation is reverse of removal

Thanks, randye. I've got to replace my radiator in a week or two, once Spring sets in for good. I'm sure I would have figured it out myself, but it's nice to see the procedure beforehand...makes it that much easier, knowing what to expect.

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2010 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by litespd:

.............in a week or two, once Spring sets in for good.

Man are you an optimist!!!

The hood? I've done it both ways. I found it easier with hood removed, if for nothing else, not having to reach around/thru the hood support, and not having to bend mybody to avoid the hood itself with my head.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2010 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Man are you an optimist!!!

The hood? I've done it both ways. I found it easier with hood removed, if for nothing else, not having to reach around/thru the hood support, and not having to bend mybody to avoid the hood itself with my head.

1. open hood
9 lift radiator out

10. If you have a freakishly large head and hands, then remove the hood prior to step #2 like Don does...

To be fair, I've also done it both with and without the hood in place, and yes, it is marginally easier to do with the hood off but you don't *need* to remove it.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2010 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

randye

14102 posts
Member since Mar 2006

Originally posted by litespd:

Thanks, randye. I've got to replace my radiator in a week or two, once Spring sets in for good. I'm sure I would have figured it out myself, but it's nice to see the procedure beforehand...makes it that much easier, knowing what to expect.

TIP:
If you raise the front of the car and put jackstands under the front cross member, you'll find it a bit easier to get at all the bolts without bending way over the car, plus with the front end raised and the rear of the car down, you won't lose as much coolant from the long underbody lines and the engine when you remove the radiator hoses.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2010 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Id take the hood off just to make it easier. Its only 4 bolts. Mark the hinge position with masking tape so you put it back in the same spot. So much easier than trying to reach around and behind it. Trying to pull it out the side by going around the opened hood and you can very easily drop it and scratch up a fender. To me, just not worth the risks.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2010 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
This bad boy has been shipped:

Champion Pro Series 3 Core Aluminum Part Number CC828

Start pulling the car apart tomorrow.

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 03-22-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2010 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

This bad boy is has been shipped:

Start pulling the car apart tomorrow.

impressive
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2010 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Id take the hood off just to make it easier. Its only 4 bolts. Mark the hinge position with masking tape so you put it back in the same spot. So much easier than trying to reach around and behind it. Trying to pull it out the side by going around the opened hood and you can very easily drop it and scratch up a fender. To me, just not worth the risks.

Ditto... The hood is so easy to remove I prefer to remove it. And I routinely remove the hood and decklid by myself as a one person job. The hood is not that heavy although there is a lot of grunting while I'm doing it.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock