Lowered car look wider by Brastic
Started on: 02-18-2010 04:04 PM
Replies: 39
Last post by: radar1 on 08-16-2010 11:35 PM
Brastic

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrasticClick Here to visit Brastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BrasticDirect Link to This Post
I just finished lowering my 88GT. I used the Fiero Store 1" lowering springs in the front and the WCF coil over kit with the 350lb springs in the rear. I am happy with the results in both appearance and handling. With the stiffer springs and lower stance, it feels like the car does not roll in a corner. I know about the optical illusion of lowered cars looking wider and lifted cars looking narrower (that is why lifted Ford Rangers look so funny). What I was not expecting is how much wider the car appears with a little over 1" dorp. The passenger windows now appears to be too big. It almost looks like the roof was raised.

I do not have any before photos, but here are the after shots.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Ang84Indy

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ang84IndySend a Private Message to Ang84IndyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brastic:
The passenger windows now appears to be too big. It almost looks like the roof was raised.

Must be time for a Chop !
2m4dude

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2m4dudeSend a Private Message to 2m4dudeDirect Link to This Post
ya i know wat u mean but i think it looks pretty damn good dude lol wat motar u got in that?
Brastic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrasticClick Here to visit Brastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BrasticDirect Link to This Post
The motor is stock. My next planned modification is new wheels. I have no plans on changing the engine until I get some track time and I learn how to drive.
2m4dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2m4dudeSend a Private Message to 2m4dudeDirect Link to This Post
hey man if u get some new ones wat would u wont for them that on it now i like those and id like to have the fiero rims on my car i got 85 grand am wheels on mine and it dont handle as great and got bad tire roll i dont got much money u know but if u wanna get rid of em for cheap let me know but ya that a good lookin car dude post some more pics if u do anything else to it.
Valkyrie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ValkyrieSend a Private Message to ValkyrieDirect Link to This Post
Where's the front shot?

------------------

Brastic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrasticClick Here to visit Brastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BrasticDirect Link to This Post
Partial front:

and full frontal:

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Looks just about perfect.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a nice drop.... Sleek and Phat! Beware..... You'll find yourself staring at it.

Don't listen to the chopped comment.. my opinion. Sorry guys, just sayin. I like the original roof look.
SlowGuitarMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlowGuitarManSend a Private Message to SlowGuitarManDirect Link to This Post
I first have to say that I can't believe how poorly some adults communicate. I am completely astounded.

On topic: I don't like choptops for multiple reasons. I don't think they look very good, especially compared to the original roof. I also couldn't handle it because I am 6'3", and I only have a few inches of head clearance as it is. I have a mohawk, and when I fix it, I have to either slump down or tilt my head to the side. I can't imagine what it'd be like with a lower roof haha.
Ang84Indy

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ang84IndySend a Private Message to Ang84IndyDirect Link to This Post
Sorry... didn't mean to offend anyone.
PFF
System Bot
Valkyrie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ValkyrieSend a Private Message to ValkyrieDirect Link to This Post
I think a slight chop would look good. I've been considering a 1 inch chop for mine. Many said it'll be a lot of work for little payoff. But I've always lived by the saying, "less is more" and I think a subtle chop could look quite nice.

Nice looking car though! Good work.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SlowGuitarMan:

I first have to say that I can't believe how poorly some adults communicate. I am completely astounded.

On topic: I don't like choptops for multiple reasons. I don't think they look very good, especially compared to the original roof. I also couldn't handle it because I am 6'3", and I only have a few inches of head clearance as it is. I have a mohawk, and when I fix it, I have to either slump down or tilt my head to the side. I can't imagine what it'd be like with a lower roof haha.

Got a sunroof? Take it out - I've done it.

Though, when I last went mohawk, it was a few inches shorter - now, I'd be over 7' with the hair up
SlowGuitarMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlowGuitarManSend a Private Message to SlowGuitarManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

Got a sunroof? Take it out - I've done it.

Though, when I last went mohawk, it was a few inches shorter - now, I'd be over 7' with the hair up

I thought of that, but it wouldn't quite work for two reasons. 1) I sit so far back that the edge of the roof around the sunroof is where it rubs. 2) It's like 20* out where I live. It might help keep my hair frozen in place, but it'd be very chilly lol.

Originally posted by Ang84Indy:

Sorry... didn't mean to offend anyone.

I hope that nobody was offended by that. It's just opinion v. opinion
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
I was just merely saying that IT LOOKS SICK now... No need for a chop. I like the look of the Fiero.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Amazing !

To me it is almost a crime NOT to lower a fiero ! They look 100% better lowered, especially 88s !

lowering and aftermarket wheels are the two best visual mods you can make to a fiero.

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Amazing !

To me it is almost a crime NOT to lower a fiero ! They look 100% better lowered, especially 88s !

lowering and aftermarket wheels are the two best visual mods you can make to a fiero.

Exactly! --- slammed

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by unboundmo:

Exactly! --- slammed

Maybe parked at a car show. That car is basicly undrivable and if it was you would be an orthopedic doctors house payment every month. You couldnt get that car out of my driveway. On a fast back road cruise the tires would barely be on the road...rockers would constantly high center it. just sayin

LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Maybe parked at a car show. That car is basicly undrivable and if it was you would be an orthopedic doctors house payment every month. You couldnt get that car out of my driveway. On a fast back road cruise the tires would barely be on the road...rockers would constantly high center it. just sayin

Thats why you need air ride. Lower it down at the shows, raise it back up for driving. Add more pressure for a stiffer ride, air it our for a softer ride. Very versatile
Brastic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrasticClick Here to visit Brastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BrasticDirect Link to This Post
I have to admit, I love this car. I had no intention on becoming a Fiero fanatic when I bought my first Fiero 5 years ago. I now have two 88 GTs and am President of the Golden Gate Fiero club. These cars have been fun and the community has been great. If it wasn't for this forum, and the club members, I would not have running cars. I am humbled by the generosity of the Fiero community. Thank you everyone.
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
My blue '87 GT is lowered 1.25" and I agree. The car looks great and drives much better lowered. It is my daily driver and has been for about 4 years now. My previous car (also an '87 GT) was lowered 2.25 and was okay, but basically stayed on the bumpstops. I drove that car daily for 8 years. However, I did have ground cleanance issues with that car because with the subframe connector I made for it, there was only 3.5" of clearance total. I had to slide over tall speed bumps. My IMSA is set at 3.25", but then again, it is a race car.

------------------
Paul

My IMSA Build: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789315
HHP Adjustable Sway Bars: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/036556.html

PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't look any wider to me, just lowered.

Amazing !

My parents told me people are stupid if they lower any fiero, its too low as it is, they say.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
One word that explains them ----- parents.

My car is lowered about 1 1/2 or a little more. no rubbing. I do have adjustable coil-overs now so I can lift it up more if I wanted but....... um NO. -- I tried to go that low but it was rubbing in the turns.

That picture is photoshopped but I think it looks sick too.. There is a Fiero that has airbags. I think he lives in Texas.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

What I was not expecting is how much wider the car appears with a little over 1" dorp. The passenger windows now appears to be too big. It almost looks like the roof was raised.

Hehehe, I heard that. Nice car though. Get a nice set of shoes (17/18); ride around for a couple months and then decide if the windows appear to be- too big.

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
As usual, I have to note that wingless GT's look AWESOME!

------------------

www.yellowfiero.com
17" DEZENT T wheels with 215/40 tires front and 235/45 rear, KONI shocks, EIBACH lowering springs, drilled/slotted rotors, SS brake hoses. PU dog bone, all bushings and engine mounts, K&N air and oil filters, Rebuilt&blueprinted V6, BORLA exhaust. Mercedes SLK yellow paintjob, Mr. Mikes leather seats, door skins, shift and e-brake boots. MP3 deck and custom subwoofer behind passenger seat, F355 style front, Aus' Stage 2 side scoops, "Fie Ro" extractor front scoop. Fiero Store rear swaybar, strut tower brace, black carpet, air intake. Rodney Dickman's competition short shifter, SS vacuum lines and deck lid strut. Billet aluminum dash kit from Kitcarman.

Brastic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrasticClick Here to visit Brastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BrasticDirect Link to This Post

Doesn't look any wider to me, just lowered.

I do not have a picture, but next to a stock height Fiero, it appears to be wider. And, I also like the lowered look and feel.

My parents told me people are stupid if they lower any fiero, its too low as it is, they say.

That is funny. Of the three cars I own, this is still the highest one. I do not have to worry about my parents to much. My mom drives a Mera. Now only if I can get my kids into Fieros. My 4 year old daughter is into cars already. I have no idea where is started, but she loves old Packards. We were at the Pebble Beach Concourse in front of a Bently that won Le Mans, and with a stern face and hands on her hips, she told the owner that the car is nice, but he is silly for not owning a Packard. The owner and I laughed pretty hard.
Notchie Luvin David

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2010 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Notchie Luvin DavidSend a Private Message to Notchie Luvin DavidDirect Link to This Post

That is funny. Of the three cars I own, this is still the highest one.

That is indeed funny, what else do you drive?

Also, what wheels are these?

Originally posted by unboundmo:

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2010 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Now that you got it lowered a little something to shoot for ? Either one of these is killer !

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2010 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

WATCH OUT FOR THE COKE CAN!!!!
Damn, that's low... I know it's not that low... but I'm thinking to myself how difficult it's going to be to get in and out of the Fiero... hahah...

I bought my Fiero when I was 16... and I had no problems with the fact that I was sitting 3"s off the ground.

I stopped driving it in my mid 20s and let it sit in the garage for basically years and years. I then got a Solstice in December of 2005 and even though that car was no where near as low as the Fiero, it was difficult getting out of. I'm in good shape, but rather tall (6'3"). I hate to act like an old fart... but on the few times I've gotten in and out of my Fiero in the garage (you know, to pretend like I'm driving, like an idiot), I realize that as I get older, this gets more difficult...

I'm going to have to invent some kind of lift system when I'm 90 so I can get in and out of it...

Maybe I'll have it running again by then...

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2010 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
My 86 Aero SE is lowered about 1 1/2" and looks so much wider now than it did at the stock height. Just an illusion, I know, but I agree with your statement.

Joe
88GTS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2010 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTSSend a Private Message to 88GTSDirect Link to This Post
Go for bigger wheels (17" or more) and the visual balance will be perfect again.
PFF
System Bot
countach711

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2010 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Direct Link to This Post

Now that you got it lowered a little something to shoot for ? Either one of these is killer !

That is one SWEET lookin' car! Could be a Ferrari!

Valkyrie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2010 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ValkyrieSend a Private Message to ValkyrieDirect Link to This Post
It's funny how good that car looks and there's not even that much done to it. Tinted windows and quarter windows, rims and tires, lowered, wing delete, new paint. Basically pretty stock. Still stunning though.
joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2010 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
i say give the rear some wider tires. then it will look even meaner from the back end
i like the look of 15" rims and wide tires
joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2010 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post

joshh44

2166 posts
Member since Aug 2007

i know not fiero but i like wide rear tires on cars
joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2010 03:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post

joshh44

2166 posts
Member since Aug 2007
one more for fun :P

Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2010 05:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by joshh44:

one more for fun :P

Thanks for the memories Had a RS Super Sport 1968 454 powered Camaro with 4.10 posi with MT wrinkle walls and a 1969 Z28 with 4.56 posi and rare cross ram ... untill the Fiero came out nothing other than my 308 Ferrari could replace them

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 02-25-2010).]

joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2010 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
wow. 4.56 gears would have been crazy off the line.
unless you had tall tires then i guess it wouldnt be to bad.

i would love to have an 69' camaro
even if its all beat up and rusted. id still take it. tho there so expensive! even for a piece of rust broken down camaro. still $8000+

Brastic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2010 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrasticClick Here to visit Brastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BrasticDirect Link to This Post
Rims and tires are on the list. Maybe next year. So far, I have not have problems scrapping more than when it was stock height. Now that both the front and rear have been lowered it handles great in the corners. I am very happy with the results. Lowering the front and not the back did lead to "weird" handling. The only down side is how loud hitting pot holes is now. I was driving on 880 in front of the Oakland Coliseum and it sounded like mortar shells going off in the car.
radar1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2010 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for radar1Send a Private Message to radar1Direct Link to This Post
this may be a stupid question but im trying to my 84, but when i see fiero store springs it says it will lower the car 1"
i want it lowered about 3-4" im running 15" tyres how do I know what the buy as in springs.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock