Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  94 3.4 V-6 changed oil, now no pressure.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

94 3.4 V-6 changed oil, now no pressure. by 30+mpg
Started on: 07-17-2010 04:58 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: P Mag V8 on 07-18-2010 03:05 PM
30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2010 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I warm up the engine before changing the oil. 45-60 psi depending on RPMs.

Let the oil drain for about 30 minutes while I cool off inside my house in the A/C.
Reinstall drain plug, add 4 quarts of oil, check dipstick, reads FULL.

Start engine, no oil pressure. Idle for about 30 seconds and the gauge still reads 0.
Now what? Did the pump lose it's prime? Do I need to remove the oil pan & replace the pump? Or something else?

It's a 94 3.4 L V-6 from a Firebird with 152K miles. Oil has been changed every 3k miles since new.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 07-17-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hobodude34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2010 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hobodude34Send a Private Message to hobodude34Direct Link to This Post
was the filter empty when you installed it? i would pull the filter back off and look down inside it to make sure it looks right as in the walls of the filter have not collapsed.. just my .02
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2010 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
Did not change the Fram filter.

Hmm, could the oil fliter, full of oil, be creating enough of a pressure barrier to the air in the pump to prevent it from priming?

Looks like I'm going to change the filter to test that theory.

Any better suggestions?

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 07-17-2010).]

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 291
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2010 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Check the dip stick. Make sure there IS oil in the oil pan (not on the floor or in the drain pan) If you are sure there is oil in the engine's oil pan and you know the filter is on and is on right then start the engine and let it idle for 30 seconds more. Don't rev the engine but don't worry about how fast the engine is idling from the ECM.

Personally I consider changing the filter as important as changing the oil.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 07-17-2010).]

gt88norm

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2010 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normDirect Link to This Post
Also, always "prime" the new filter, and coat the rubber gasket with a thin sheen of fresh oil.

Norm
P Mag V8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2010 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for P Mag V8Send a Private Message to P Mag V8Direct Link to This Post
Change the filter...I can not endorse the Fram filter either...AC Delco is the way to go...( maybe I'm just biased...working at the dealership and all.)
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2010 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post

gt88norm:Also, always "prime" the new filter, ...Norm

Ha Ha, that's a good one as the filter axis is horizontal!
gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2010 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normDirect Link to This Post
Put your finger over the main hole, and act fast, very fast! ;^)
Did I say safety glasses, oops, no, I meant to.
A half prime is better than no prime.

Norm
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2010 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
im thinking for some reason you did lose the prime. My Coronet engine had trouble getting primed with rebuild. I used the drill in the distrib and it just wouldnt prime. I had to take out the relief valve and spring a number of times in the exterior mounted oil pump till it finally got pressure. Ive did one oil change since that and it self primed with no problem. You might pull the dist and try priming it manually. If that engine has dis and no distributor I dont know how you prime the oil pump.

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2010 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
Problem solved.

Fram was replaced w/ AC47.
Removed injector fuses so that the engine would not start.
Cranked engine with starter for 15 seconds of which towards the very end the oil pressure gage needle leaped off of "0".
Replaced the fuses
Started engine
Approx 50 psi at idle.
P Mag V8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2010 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for P Mag V8Send a Private Message to P Mag V8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 30+mpg:

Problem solved.

Fram was replaced w/ AC47.
Removed injector fuses so that the engine would not start.
Cranked engine with starter for 15 seconds of which towards the very end the oil pressure gage needle leaped off of "0".
Replaced the fuses
Started engine
Approx 50 psi at idle.

Glad it worked out...Now...run over to CJ'S Big Boy Burger and grab a victory burger...Uhhh... one for me too...

PFF
System Bot
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2010 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post

P Mag V8:Glad it worked out...Now...run over to CJ'S Big Boy Burger and grab a victory burger...Uhhh... one for me too...

Walk over is more like it. I can see CJ's 2 blocks away from my backyard.
$7 for a burger & fries is kinda steep.
P Mag V8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2010 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for P Mag V8Send a Private Message to P Mag V8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 30+mpg:

Walk over is more like it. I can see CJ's 2 blocks away from my backyard.
$7 for a burger & fries is kinda steep.

They are good...but I do agree...hard for me to lay out $40.00 for Burgers with my crew...Cheers.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock