Have A Question, Need Answer Asap! by Fiero Reagan
Started on: 08-11-2010 05:36 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: Fiero Reagan on 08-13-2010 06:51 PM
Fiero Reagan

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-11-2010 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ReaganClick Here to visit Fiero Reagan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero ReaganDirect Link to This Post
www.fieroaddiction.com

4 Speed Automatic for your Fiero - 440-T4/4T60/4T60E

The stock Fiero axles cannot be used with the four speed automatic. For a 4T60 you can use right
and left axle assemblies for a '89 Pontiac 6000 with 4T60 and option JA1 light duty brakes.
The correct part numbers are A1 Cardone 60-1115 and 60-1078 or CCT 8471 left and 8430 right.

For a 4T60E you can use the same left axle for a '89 Pontiac 6000 with 4T60 and JA1 light duty brakes
on the left side, and a left axle for a manual Fiero on the right side. Some people have reported having
problems with the stock M/T Fiero axle on the right side, but they have always worked well for me. There
are plenty of other combinations of parts that can be used to assemble axles that will fit, but those are
the simplest solutions I have found. They can be purchased off the shelf at most auto parts stores and
if your transaxle is mounted as shown, they install without modification.

..............................................................................................................................................................

I have a 4T60... Not a 4T60E

It says that for a 4t60 you have to get both the driver and passenger side axles from a pontiac 6000 with jA1
light duty brakes. But we have either a manual or automatic axle from a fiero coming out of a 4T60 trans and
fitting perfectly. But according to that website, you cant have mix match axles in a 4t60, its saying you can
only do that in a 4t60e.

So my question is....Just because one is a 4t60 and the other is a 4t60e, Why "cant" you mix match the axles?

because it says you can with one and not the other.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
As I understand it, the 4T60E is physically longer on the pasenger side (possibly a larger differential housing or something) and requires a shorter passenger axle than the 4T60.

If you look up an application that came with both the 4T60 and the 4T60E you will find that often the driver side axle remains the same, but the passenger axle is about 1 5/8" shorter on the 4T60E version vs. the 4T60.

Did you see my response yesterday to your 4T60 axle thread?

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 08-11-2010).]

Fiero Reagan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-11-2010 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ReaganClick Here to visit Fiero Reagan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero ReaganDirect Link to This Post
heres the problem i guess...

I was away over the weekend, and when i left the engine was still on the floor. And when i came back on
monday, my dad had already set the engine in the car (non mounted). Well i have 2 sets of fiero axles..
both a manual set a an automatic set. Well he put one of the passenger side ones in (dont know if it was
and auto or manual one and slid the engine over to the right and made sure the axle was straight. But he did
all of this without even having a driver side axle yet. So if afraid now that once the part store finally gives me
the right axle, then it won't be long enough because he already started making steel plated motor mounts for
the right back side of the motor and already welded it to the cradle.

Because as i posted earlier it says with a 4t60 you have to use both the left and right axles from a pontiac
6000. But with a 4t60-e, you can use a fiero axle and pontiac 6000 axle.

And i have a 4t60, not a 4t60-e But yet he went ahead and put a fiero axle on the passenger side.
So now, once i get the right axle for the drivers side, it probably wont be long enough....

Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
Pics?
Let's see what has been done so far.
Fiero Reagan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-11-2010 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ReaganClick Here to visit Fiero Reagan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero ReaganDirect Link to This Post
okay, hold on...uploading them now
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
What I suggest you do first is to confirm where the tranny is relative to the 88 cradle.

Here is a pic of my 4T60 within 1/8" of having the stock pontiac 6000 axles centered (equal depth of the tripod rollers into their respective cages)...

Notice the tranny is just about against the driver side rail. To use the stock 6000 axles, you will need to be within 1/2" of this rail.... go much further and you run the risk of over extending/bottoming out the tripods...

If you post a picture of this side of the tranny/cradle and a measurement of how far it is off, I can probably tell you what axle will work with the engine/tranny where it is... and confirm whatever axle that is supposedly fitting on the passenger side will actually work.
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking he's long.
Fiero Reagan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-11-2010 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ReaganClick Here to visit Fiero Reagan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero ReaganDirect Link to This Post
Fiero Reagan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-11-2010 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ReaganClick Here to visit Fiero Reagan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero ReaganDirect Link to This Post

Fiero Reagan

759 posts
Member since May 2010
A1 view of motor mount (motor mount on back right side of the motor)

A2 view of passenger side strut

A3 other motor mount.

A4 transmission and left side of engine cradle

A5 Transmission and left side of engine cradle (from opposite position)
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
It looks like your tranny is close to the proper spot. In the pic below, there is about 1 1/2" between the inside of the 88 cradle rail to the machined end of the tranny case (behind the flange on the side cover). If you confirm this dimension you will know how close you are for sure.

With where your tranny looks to be placed (assuming you are within +/- 1/4" of my measurement above), you should be able to use the pontiac 6000 axles on both driver and passenger sides.

There is little chance that you have a Driver Side Manual Axle on the passenger side... it is 3" inches shorter than the pontiac 6000 passenger axle (22 1/2 vs. 25 7/16). You most likely have a passenger fiero AUTO (125c) axle that is 26 7/8"... 1 7/16" longer than the pontiac 6000 one. If this is the case, the axle is almost certaintly bottomed out and will break something if used. Easy way to check is to jack up the passenger suspension so the axle is level, then remove the axle nut at the wheel bearing and see how deep you can push the axle in... 3/4 to 1" would provide adequte clearance. If you have less than this and want to see if you can use it, you should remove the rear spring from the strut and cycle the suspension from full compression to full droop while spinning the axle by hand checking for binding.
Fiero Reagan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-12-2010 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ReaganClick Here to visit Fiero Reagan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero ReaganDirect Link to This Post
So the better thing to do is....

-Get both axles from a pontiac 6000

-chop the motor mounts off, grind the welds off the cradle and make it smooth again

-and get both axles in and measured and have everything straight and then remount the engine.

I think thats probably best to prevent problems.
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
To avoid needing custom axles... it is always best to start with the axles that you know will work and use them to ensure the engine is positioned properly for them.

As I posted in your rant about advance auto, make sure you get the right pontiac 6000 axles... there are version for the 125C and the 4T60 as well as heavy and light brake options (outboard spline size). These are the part #'s for the ones you need.

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Not much going on, but I tracked down the part #'s for the 440T4/4T60axles.

Source: 89 Pontiac 6000 with 4speed auto, light duty brakes, 30MM nut and 31 spline.

LEFT side drive axle 8471, A1 CARDONE PN 601078, ADVANCE AUTO PARTS CV 10029
RIGHT side drive axle 8430, A1 CARDONE PN 601115, ADVANCE AUTO PARTS CV 10076

From Napa:
p/n 95-9178 and 95-9208

I purchased mine from:
A-1 Drive Shaft (800-228-0356)
47-557 ($49) and 47-558 ($49) Total with shipping = $118.00 (and no core charge). Should be here in a few days.

Fiero Reagan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-12-2010 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ReaganClick Here to visit Fiero Reagan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero ReaganDirect Link to This Post
so if i go up to advance auto parts in a few minutes.

(Exactley) what part numbers do i give them?
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
It is best to look it up on their web sites before going in so you can do your own research and know they can get you the part you need.

Here is the search I just did for you:

http://shop.advanceautopart...ion=&searchTerm=axle

CV10029 and CV10076 should be the needed part numbers (they worked 3-4 years ago), but looking at the link above, they have changed CV10029 to NCV10029 and show no listing for CV10076.

It also shows CV5533 and CV5532 from the Fenco line being for 4 speed, light duty brakes - so these should work as well.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 08-12-2010).]

Fiero Reagan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-13-2010 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ReaganClick Here to visit Fiero Reagan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero ReaganDirect Link to This Post
Okay, got the ones from Fenco.

They appear to work. Haven't tried to put them on yet. But have seen like 10 axles this week and this set is the only
ones with the right amount of splines and the right size female end, diameter, ect..

Not bad, after turning on 2 cores, the total for both axles was $80.00
Fiero Reagan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-13-2010 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ReaganClick Here to visit Fiero Reagan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero ReaganDirect Link to This Post

Fiero Reagan

759 posts
Member since May 2010
Went to WayMatic today (place that makes the concessions booths for carnivals)
Anyways, went there today and got a sheet of steel so that i could make extra extra
strong motor mounts, well not mounts but mount supporters i guess you could say.

Also got a pic of the new referb axles.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock