GT Sail Panels: Glue, Tape, or Bolt? by RotrexFiero
Started on: 10-29-2010 11:11 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: RotrexFiero on 11-01-2010 09:57 AM
RotrexFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2010 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
I have finished painting my turbo sail panels for my GT, and I am so worried about attaching them properly. I know the originals were taped on with special 3M tape, and I have heard others using glue. The Fiero store website sells their sail panels, and mentions using tape, but also mentions some owners attach them with small flush mounted bolts. I really want the clean look.

What is the exact glue or tape I should use? I did use the search feature but could not find any information. I have an Advance Auto near me and they have an assortment of glues?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2010 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
A "windshield kit" would be my choice. Comes with urethane "rope" to glue in windshields - just press it on around the opening & press on the scoop/sail panel. Just make sure both surfaces are smooth & clean. I think Advance does have them, but if they don't your local autobody supply will.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Doing the work of 3 men: Larry, Mo, and Curly.
IXSLR8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2010 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Direct Link to This Post
I used 3M gray foam tape super adhesive for bumper trim on my GT fastback windows and I'm not happy with it. I had clean surfaces when applied and it started to lift off after a week.
Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2010 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunDirect Link to This Post

I recently installed replacement sail panels on my GT, 3 or 4 months back. For the installation I used the double sided 3M tape. I did prep both surfaces with alcohol to remove and residue, dust, grease, oil and the like.

They are still solidly attached to the frame.

I'm pleased.
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2010 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
Mines are on with windshield urethane .

[This message has been edited by Robert 2 (edited 10-30-2010).]

RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2010 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, the tape scares me, especially on a hot day, I can just imagine going down the road and having a whole quarter panel flying off. Or, getting home to find I have a missing panel.

How exactly did you use the windsheild urethane? Just slap it on there and hold it for a while? Did you tape it in place? I am worried about getting it on there then coming back in a few hours to find it dried, but the panel is sagging or misaligned.

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2010 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
I always hear of these horror stories whenever this question arises about the mounting tape. One thing that no one ever thinks about is the fact that there is a HUGE area that is covered by the quarter window directly behind the door. This is the prime area for a LOT of silicone adhesive since this area has the largest coverage of the pillar as well as a bead of silicone along the front of the window closest to the door glass to prevent air from getting underneath the quarter window:
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2010 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
How exactly did you use the windsheild urethane? Just slap it on there and hold it for a while? Did you tape it in place? I am worried about getting it on there then coming back in a few hours to find it dried, but the panel is sagging or misaligned.
I didn't do it myself , but i know they taped it on with the black duct tape they use at auto glass shop .
I've tried 3 times with the double sided tape , was always lifting on back of the door like showed on the sketch done on my pic .

[This message has been edited by Robert 2 (edited 10-30-2010).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2010 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I used the two-sided 3M foam tape and then fillled in all around the entire perimeter of each panel (used lots on the leading edge) with black automotive silicone sealer. These panels aren't coming off... ever.
MountainHiBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2010 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
Well if you think about it, the original 3M tape held the sail panels on for 24 years....

I have an original set of brand new factory sale panels in the box and they have two sided tape attached to them. I will probably use new tape when I finally install them.

[This message has been edited by MountainHiBlue87GT (edited 10-30-2010).]

RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2010 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
I purchased the long cylinder of windshield urethane from Advance. Cost around $18. Just reviewing everything they had there it looked to be the best choice. Plus I heard someone else mention they used it. Dont know why, but I am more anxious about installing these scoops then dropping the cradle. Just dont want to screw it up and have to live with looking at it forever.

PFF
System Bot
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2010 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Direct Link to This Post
I used windshield adhesive on my FS replacement qtr windows. The 1st hot summer day, im guessing coupled with body flex softened the black paint and caused the paint to separate from the plexiglas.

I believe the thicker type 3M double sided tape allows for expansion/contraction from heat and cold and also allows you to remove and replace them as they age. I personally believe that the glue is way too permanent for applications like this. Just my opinion.
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2010 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Any budy know if windsheild urethane, the same thing as byrtle rope (spelling?).I used 100% silicone (Not Caulking compound).Wont have to worrie about them comeing off with 3M tape alone (I did read one storey where a forum members,GT Quarter window blew off on the freeway.
deezil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2010 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilDirect Link to This Post
Mine fell off right when i pulled into the driveway after a quick drive. They were held on with 3m tape.

Someone here told me to use the windshield ribbon and it worked great. I will have to cut it off with piano wire if I want it removed..

Which is what I wanted!
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2010 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
I tried the tape years ago and they sagged down, and when I went to remove them it was as simple and pulling them off. I know the manufacturer used the tape but even on the Fiero store website they make mention of using screws/bolts. I think with all the elements here, rain, and summer heat the glue is the best way to go. I will let you know how it turns out.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock