Started on: 05-13-2011 05:59 PM
Replies: 42
Last post by: buildamonster on 08-26-2011 06:09 PM
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Between JustinBart and I, we have managed to break quite a few fuel pumps running E85.

The pumps we have been using are specifically e85 rated, and run in cars for 100k+ miles running strictly on E85/E100. For some reason, we have managed to break 4 or 5 of them in the last year or so.

I finally got ahold of an engineer at a fuel pump manufacturing company, and she was mentioning that there is a possibility of electroplating my brushes/bearings/whatever in the fuel pump when used in E85 fuel.

This could make sense, as the fiero uses all metal parts... all of which are nearly perfectly grounded to the battery, giving the E85 fuel a very efficient anode to negative, and my fuel pump a fairly concentrated cathode. (may have switched those around)

I could see this being an issue as the pumps i have are not really locking up solid, as much as they are just not running anymore... Usually I can beat the pumps up a bit and they will spring back to life for a few miles.

I suppose this is where my understanding of the subject grays out, and I am asking for some advice from the more chemical engineering types out there.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jasonfox

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-13-2011 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jasonfoxSend a Private Message to jasonfoxDirect Link to This Post
The navy has a similar problem with hulls of ships. They put a sacrificial plate on the side of the ship that degrades and has to be replaced. Perhaps you could do something similar safely so that your fuel pump is no longer the point of degradation.
jasonfox

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-13-2011 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jasonfoxSend a Private Message to jasonfoxDirect Link to This Post

jasonfox

818 posts
Member since Oct 2010
Have you considered having a custom fuel tank built and electrically isolating it from the car?
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Maybe...

You've got counterfeit pump? Ebay great for counterfeit/fake allot of things.

You have power/ground problem? Bad power and/or ground will eat pumps. See my cave, Electric motor and wire service.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Power is fresh (swapped, so I went overkill with everything). I have a 60 amp relay running off the alternator post and grounds straight to the main battery ground on the trans bolt.

The pumps are junkyard OEM, I live around the corner from the company that makes them and the confirmed they made them.
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

For some reason, we have managed to break 4 or 5 of them in the last year or so.

By "break" do you mean that the pump internals have responded like an anode and been "plated" by contaminants in the fuel?

Originally posted by darkhorizon:
I finally got ahold of an engineer at a fuel pump manufacturing company, and she was mentioning that there is a possibility of electroplating my brushes/bearings/whatever in the fuel pump when used in E85 fuel.

Aside from electroplating I would suggest investigating electroless nickel plating. Nickel is a friction reducer and is incredibly durable when plated chemically, rather than with an electroplating process.

[This message has been edited by lateFormula (edited 05-13-2011).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2011 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Sound like Some kind of electrical or pluming problem...

Your car eats fuel pump that's rated 100,000+ miles. 1-2 maybe bad but 4-5? very small chance of that... And Most cars uses SS tank for flex fuel...

You're wiring is hosed somewhere. Maybe missing a important ground?

You've blocked fuel flow. Pump need fuel to flow constantly, needs it to cool off. Filter, sock, regulator, return line, etc, must be in good working order. Check return line doesn't go to vent output on tank. Switching return and vent will cause problem... many vent output has a blockage built in.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2011 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Sound like Some kind of electrical or pluming problem...

Your car eats fuel pump that's rated 100,000+ miles. 1-2 maybe bad but 4-5? very small chance of that... And Most cars uses SS tank for flex fuel...

You're wiring is hosed somewhere. Maybe missing a important ground?

You've blocked fuel flow. Pump need fuel to flow constantly, needs it to cool off. Filter, sock, regulator, return line, etc, must be in good working order. Check return line doesn't go to vent output on tank. Switching return and vent will cause problem... many vent output has a blockage built in.

Bad wiring between 3 different cars (I forgot to mention my friends grand prix) seems a bit strange... Like I said every bit of the wiring has been fresh and aftermarket from day one for all cars we have ran these in. The only thing the 3 cars really had in common were metal/grounded tanks and E85.

Pressure has been steady, although a bit higher than what the pump normally sees stock. We did think that pressure was causing issues so I installed a 45ish psi pop valve in the tank. That one still failed in the same amount of time.

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2011 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

darkhorizon

12279 posts
Member since Jan 2006

Originally posted by lateFormula:

Aside from electroplating I would suggest investigating electroless nickel plating. Nickel is a friction reducer and is incredibly durable when plated chemically, rather than with an electroplating process.

The problem is the fact that I AM electroplating my brushes and or the parts that hold the brushes in line.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2011 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Even if your pumps are rated for E85, Ethanol is corroding the inside of your tank. There are metallic compounds in the fuel floating around, and perhaps they can be deposited on the brushes of the fuel pump motor because of the anode/cathode thing set up by the motor. (this is an non-chemist explanation.. )

http://www.gie.com/about_us...20Corrosion%20-1.pdf
1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2011 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post
Have you thought about running an external in-line pump?
PFF
System Bot
kingchr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2011 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kingchrSend a Private Message to kingchrDirect Link to This Post
Just wondering, how do the inside of your tanks look? I know that E10 seems to have caused the gas tanks in a lot of rigs I work on to create a lot of rust on all the mild steel innards. I wonder if the same thing is happening to you? Fuel pumps don't react well to even a little bit of rust in the wrong place...
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2011 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kingchr:

Just wondering, how do the inside of your tanks look? I know that E10 seems to have caused the gas tanks in a lot of rigs I work on to create a lot of rust on all the mild steel innards. I wonder if the same thing is happening to you? Fuel pumps don't react well to even a little bit of rust in the wrong place...

Its not bad, but it may just not "look" bad.

Have you thought about running an external in-line pump

I have thought about many things... The problem with external pumps is price, flow rating, and most are sensitive to dirt. The filters used in most externals have to be fairly small, which means they get clogged up easily coming from a metal tank with e85 in it.
scott0999

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2011 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Direct Link to This Post
first thing I would ask is are you letting the fuel sit around for a long time? ethanol is not a highly corrosive fuel, but when it sits around it gets water separation over time, then it is.

I've ran E85 in my 3400 turbo Z24 for 5 years now (except for winter, switch to gas since then since its in storage), and I havent had any trouble with it...
kingchr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2011 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kingchrSend a Private Message to kingchrDirect Link to This Post
I suspect that sitting for a while might be what has caused most of the damage that I have observed.

does your tank has enough garbage in it that you think that a small (fine) filter would clog quickly? If it does, then I can see how you might be going through pumps. They don't react well to debris...
scott0999

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2011 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Direct Link to This Post
^^yes, its good practice to replace your fuel filter shortly after running E85. Ethanol Cleans your fuel system much more than gasoline ever could, and all that crap ends up in the filter (fuel pump strainer too should be changed)

[This message has been edited by scott0999 (edited 05-14-2011).]

kingchr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2011 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kingchrSend a Private Message to kingchrDirect Link to This Post
Dark has been running E85 for a while now though right? I figured that the amount of crud should go down the longer you run it, provided of course you don't park it long term with half a tank of fuel... However I know nothing about E85, having only fairly recently been forced to deal with E10.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2011 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kingchr:

Dark has been running E85 for a while now though right? I figured that the amount of crud should go down the longer you run it, provided of course you don't park it long term with half a tank of fuel... However I know nothing about E85, having only fairly recently been forced to deal with E10.

Long enough to kill off a few fuel pumps.

The fact that I know people that run E85 on other fuel pumps (some that enigneers have told me would last days or weeks) in metal fuel tanks... is quite frustrating.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2011 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Maybe there is something special about Fiero metal fuel tanks.

What's the octane of E85? I have a stock 2.8 and I cannot use regular E10, gotta have 89 octane before the car settles down.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2011 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if you put an anode rod, as used in electric hot water heaters, in the gas tank, if that would solve the problem?
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

What's the octane of E85? I have a stock 2.8 and I cannot use regular E10, gotta have 89 octane before the car settles down.

105 - 110+

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec5
11.53@126.7

PFF
System Bot
joesfiero

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
Might have to sacrifice one of the tanks and cut it open to see whats really going on in there, the baffles have a way of looking clean while the tank itself is a mess, I dealt with this with two of my tanks before I gave up on the stock tank and had the aluminum one made. Even though Im not running E85 its nice to know Im ready to.

-Joe
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-15-2011 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
This is one of the reasons that the regulations for the modern cars rated to run E85 requires use of a composite fuel tank.

If you want to run E85 for an extended period of time in a Fiero, your only real options are to find someone to make a custom composite tank rated to handle that much Ethanol, or get the whole inside of the Fiero tank coated with something that will not dissolve in petroleum or etnaol fuels, and that will insulate the tank from the fuel.
1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post
Or run an external pump.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-15-2011 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Maybe there is something special about Fiero metal fuel tanks.

If your stock 2.8 isn't running ok on 87, then there is something else wrong with the engine that you need to fix. Given that description, I'd check the plugs, engine ground, ignition components, and the cat.
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

If your stock 2.8 isn't running ok on 87, then there is something else wrong with the engine that you need to fix. Given that description, I'd check the plugs, engine ground, ignition components, and the cat.

And, of course, the timing.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-15-2011 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:
And, of course, the timing.

Implied as part of "ignition components" there.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fatcat:

Or run an external pump.

SIgh..
1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post
From what you've told us, it sounds like YOUR PUMP IS THE ANODE of electrolosis. You need to either run an external pump, or completely isolate the metal tank from ground. Which one would be cheaper and easier?
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
No external pump idea would involve less than $450. Internal with isolation, would cost no more than $100... And I also am building another fiero to run on E85 right now as well.. So, I could possibly save quite a bit there.

I have the front compartment of my fiero fairly gutted out right now, so I am considering the chances of putting a fuel cell up there safely. I also may be able to find some type of semi proper shaped premade composite fuel tank that fits where the current fiero tank is.
1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post
I just don't know how you plan to isolate the metal tank from ground? Whether it's from the inside or the outside. Sure, you could coat the tank (inside or outside), but I doubt that will be a long term fix.

Maybe you could use a small, remote plastic tank to house the fuel pump? (like a 1 gallon plastic gas "can"?) Safety issues start to arise with this, however.
PFF
System Bot
joesfiero

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2011 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
I have the resources to make a completely custom size and shape tank. Our tanks are made of 5053 aluminum which has been indicated as safe for ethanol. I'm not trying to make a buck off advertising this as I don't make anything off of the tanks we sell, I just wanted to offer a product that will help the fiero community and keep the cost low (which Is why I don't take a cut). The tank we currently have is larger than stock and runs 300 plus actual shipping, I doubt it would be much difference to have him make a front mount tank. Pm me if you are interested I would just need some dimensions from you to make it happen.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
some pictures of a failed pump

buildamonster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buildamonsterSend a Private Message to buildamonsterDirect Link to This Post
I ran a cheap ebay 255 lph pump for than a year with no problems. I now run an aeromotive an1000 just for extra flow. I have not had any problem with either. e85 draws water in like a sponge. It's a good idea to check your carbon filter and gas cap for cracks or leaks. The more water in the fuel the more corrosive the mix is. Also E85 requires 30% more fuel than gas so maybe your just maxing the pump out.

[This message has been edited by buildamonster (edited 06-10-2011).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Why do you run E85 ? Use reg gas and problem solved.... You always have problems using something that a system is not designed for.
el_roy1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for el_roy1985Send a Private Message to el_roy1985Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Why do you run E85 ? Use reg gas and problem solved.... You always have problems using something that a system is not designed for.

A lot of people with forced induction like E85 because of it's high octane at a cheap price. I don't think I caught what the OP is running it in, but on a NA engine it probably isn't a benefit to much of anything. Unless high compression is involved, but I don't know much about the use of E85 in high compression engines(never researched it).

Besides, reg gas is old school. It's time people started testing the waters with alternative fuels. Can't make progress if you are so stuck on using the same thing all the time, just because it works and is easier.
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post
try getting your tank red-coated inside, and rubbercoat the outside, then it wouldnt have any ground to electroplate the pumps with? just an idea
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

because I cant make 600whp with my 2.8L with a turbo kit on 87 octane like you can.
Niterrorz

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
try an aluminum tank.... you cant electroplate aluminum to another metal only another metal to aluminum i believe.
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2011 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Por15 makesfuel tank lining products, and since they also sell an ethanol test kit, their lining was probably designed for ethanol use.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock