Relocating Fusible Links by edfiero
Started on: 08-11-2011 08:56 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: 1ofakind on 02-06-2012 09:58 AM
edfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2011 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroDirect Link to This Post
I have an 84 Duke that has just left me stranded for the 2nd time (last time was 15 years ago, but still...) due to failure of a Fusible Link.

I would like to relocate these from starter to up closer to the battery where I can keep an eye on them as they age, and get to them easier if they need to be changed. I'm not getting any younger, and I don't enjoy rolling around under the Fiero so much anymore.

I'd like to know if anyone else ever attempted to relocate these things, and if so, I'd appreciate any insights or tricks you can share.
Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2011 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Get 85+ Fiero main power block or aftermarket. Try summit etc. Mount anywhere link reach. But... Fiero box has Two screw are not connected.

Get one of these and mount on battery. Check auto parts or audio stores.

See my cave, wire service in general electrical section, for notes installing fuse links

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 08-11-2011).]

TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2011 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CDirect Link to This Post
I used the connector that Ogre is showing. Any auto parts store carries them. I had nothing but trouble with the two fusible links down by the starter on my 84. I re-routed them over to the positive terminal of the battery and it's been fine for almost 2 years now. Anyone with an 84 should consider this mandatory, it's something that will fail eventually.

[This message has been edited by TONY_C (edited 08-11-2011).]

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 504
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2011 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
I simply remove the entire engine wiring harness and go with an 85 or 86 version. It is not hard to do and it not only avoids the problem of crawling under the car to replace the link but it moves the plug from the exhaust mainfold area where it is prone to melting. It just solves a multitude of problems and they are all over the wrecking yards for a few bucks.

[This message has been edited by Toddster (edited 08-11-2011).]

1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2011 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post
Say theorge, no offense, but post hard read. Not know what mean. Words missing to make sence. Have great respect, you very smart. Time not allow more typing? Clunk me on head with big stick now.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2011 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...110502-1-074374.html

My typing is not perfect and especially when I don't have time to proofread ever post...
1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2011 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...110502-1-074374.html

My typing is not perfect and especially when I don't have time to proofread ever post...

Theogre, I am so sorry! Talk about "open mouth, insert foot"! I always wondered, but never asked or searched for why. I could tell by your post count and rating bar that you're well liked and respected, and all of your posts that I've read are always very accurate, just never thought about it like that. Sorry if I came off like a donkey.

[This message has been edited by 1fatcat (edited 08-11-2011).]

redraif

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2011 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post
Woring on this now myself after a new alternator install. The previous owner deleted all the fusable links and did not even install fuses in their place! UGH!
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fatcat:

Say theorge, no offense, but post hard read. Not know what mean. Words missing to make sence. Have great respect, you very smart. Time not allow more typing? Clunk me on head with big stick now.

lol

I've always wondered that. The ogre goes back before I even knew about Fieros, so I never figured out why. But the ogre is wise, so we listen.

edit: thanks for the link. I now know why. Have even more respect for you now.

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 08-17-2011).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Hey......all this time I thought it was part of the shtick....!!

How else would an Ogre type??? Best wishes to you, Dave.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Thanks all
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Also 84 owners should see this thread https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/118117.html#p25

If relocating Fuse link B then eliminate C500 A5 connection and Link A, terminal C500 E4 too.
C500 pins are not made for current in that circuit, especially when there is a problem like a short circuit. 85+ fixed that.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 08-18-2011).]

1ofakind

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2012 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1ofakindSend a Private Message to 1ofakindDirect Link to This Post
Just did this myself after another bout of exposed fusable links making sparks at the exhaust. Now that I have relocated all those to the battery I have two wires I would love to move also: starter -> tranny (purple) and the o2 - > ecm (black). I realize I won't be able to relocate the o2 sensor but I am looking at some innovative ways of protecting it. I noticed some DEI heat tubing on another thread that would work great.

84 2m4

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock