trunk tension rods. by AL87
Started on: 10-27-2011 06:42 AM
Replies: 13
Last post by: raysr11 on 10-29-2011 12:23 AM
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2011 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Direct Link to This Post
Are there different rods for the different weight trunks?

Or is it all a matter of adustment with them?

Can anybody provide pictures of the tension rods for a GT with a wing?

How do you adjust them? pictures of process?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Carrolles

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2011 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesDirect Link to This Post
I believe there are different rods for different trunk lid arrangements. There is an adjustment also. I believe detailed instructions are covered in the factory service manuals which are available to download for free on the web. I'm not sure exactly what the link is but someone will probably chime in with the info. You can try a search for Service Manual on this forum.

Hope this helps.
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2011 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2011 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
On my 86 GT with a wing the adjustable anchor pin was in the middle hole. To make it lift more weight you need to move the pin closer to the trunk. You do this with a ratcheting tie down strap hooked to the trunk wall and to the torsion rod under the pin. Tighten the strap until the torsion rod is pulled far enough back to clear the next hole then reposition the pin.
jaredmurray88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2011 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Direct Link to This Post
that seems really dangerous but does that really work? i thought the deckild lift wasn't adjustable all i need is a little extra nuts on mine to lift it with the wing i added a few years ago my baseball bat hood prop doesn't look so hot at a car show lol
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2011 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvDirect Link to This Post
You might have to change to the stronger bar.

But moving the pins are free to try.
n7vrz

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2011 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzDirect Link to This Post
And it is dangerous as those rods are under a good amount of tension. Be very careful, wear safety glasses, etc.
Don't let anyone in the area you will be working in unless they are there to assist and are wearing safety equipment too.
Sight seers should not be allowed.
Riddick85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2011 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Direct Link to This Post
I have adjusted this also and it does work to hold the trunk open. I used to have a piece of wood to hold mine up too.

I know most people are like "ya ya safety, yada yada yada" But no seriously if you adjust this, wear some glasses at least. I had my strap let go and it could hurt if you get hit by that.
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2011 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Direct Link to This Post
anyone have any pictures, video, or any visual aid to help me think of how I am going to do anything?

And different rods? how can you tell?
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2011 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AL87:

And different rods? how can you tell?

They're color coded with a dab of of paint, but no, I can't tell you what color means what. However, it has been posted here as I recall reading it.

In regards to the warnings, etc...

I'm all for safety and being careful, but seriously, I don't know what the big deal is adjusting or even removing the tension rods.

Tie a rope to the rod at one side (by the adjustment pin) and tie the other end of the rope to a long bar (or even a length of 2x4) so that you can pry the bar against the inside of the front of the trunk wall. This will allow you to take the tension off the adjustment pin to either stick it in another hole, or to remove it completely if you're wishing to unbolt the hinges from the car (to remove and change the rod itself). Then do the same procedure to the other side.

Just don't try unbolting the hinges from the car (to change the tension rods) without first releasing all tension from the rods (which is done by removing the pins).

When I removed the decklid and hinges and tension rods from a wrecking yard Fiero, I believe I left the hinges attached to the decklid during the whole procedure. Having an assistant will obviously help at different stages of the removal process.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-27-2011).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2011 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
I must agree that if you are not careful, the torsion rods could let go and do some damage to your fingers or break the rear window glass. If you do not know what you are doing, the job of adjusting the torsion rods should be left alone. If you are unsure how to do the job, just add a lift strut to provide additional deck lid support. Rodney Dickman sells a complete kit and its a snap to install.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, ZZP Intercooler, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2011 06:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvDirect Link to This Post
Some of the tension will be relieved if you prop the decklid as far up as you can with a broom handle too. For some reason it's easy to forget that the rods are holding up the decklid... The only time my tie-down down slipped, it slid off of the bottom of the torsion bar and popped over to the side. The strap stayed attached and nothing flew anywhere. I was VERY glad my fingers weren't anywhere around the torsion bar when it snapped back against the retaining pin. But I had the strap's metal hook on the spring. So this is how I do it now.

Pull the trunk carpet and rubber seal up to reveal the metal of the trunk wall.
Hook the tie down strap to the lip on the wall, through the bottom of the torsion rod and back to the trunk wall.

Some people just hook to the spring and the wall. If you do it that way watch for an unstable hook on the torsion bar.
Putting both hooks on the firewall makes it a little easier to crank the tie-down strap too. Compound pulley... physics... too early to explain...
No matter which method you use, MAKE SURE THAT THE HOOKS ARE SECURE on the trunk wall. If they come loose the spring WILL send them zinging toward the torsion bar.

There are threads with more pictures that show you how most people do the job. These pictures were from a thread that didn't talk about this topic so I didn't link it.
raysr11

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2011 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Direct Link to This Post
The white ones are the ones for the spoiler equipped decks. I tried to adjust mine once and they came undone on one side. I took them off and couldn't remember how they went back on. It was a real ***** . It took me a long time but I finally got them back on, after many tries. Even after engine R&R I think that was the hardest thing I've had to do to my '85. It started by installing a wing and having them not hold the lid up.
raysr11

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2011 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Direct Link to This Post

raysr11

1254 posts
Member since Nov 2008
The white ones are the ones for the spoiler equipped decks. I tried to adjust mine once and they came undone on one side. I took them off and couldn't remember how they went back on. It was a real ***** . It took me a long time but I finally got them back on, after many tries. Even after engine R&R I think that was the hardest thing I've had to do to my '85. It started by installing a wing and having them not hold the lid up.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock