Started on: 09-07-2011 02:10 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: Bruce on 04-05-2012 02:56 PM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2011 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
If these were a "factory" unit for 2.8/3.1/3.4 - what cars to check at the wreckers for these??

The pickups are Delco D1907

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-07-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2011 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

The pickup in the picture is for a V8 engine. Count the pole points on it.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2011 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Oops. Obviously the Cardone distributor has a reluctor with 6 points like this.

STLL - anyone know what GM has this for the 2.8/3.1/3.4?
Or is this a Cardone improvement during their remanufacturing?

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-07-2011).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2011 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2011 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I forgot who's idea it was, sorry, but they suggested that one should unplug the two wire connector from the inside of the distributor. Give it a couple of twists, then reconnect it. This shortens the length of the wire and it will never get in the way of spinning parts, or pinched underneath the edge of the cap when it is put back on .

Exellent idea. This was just a good place to bring this back up. Look at the photo just above here at where the green and white wires are.
-Joe

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 09-08-2011).]

outlawfiero17

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2011 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawfiero17Send a Private Message to outlawfiero17Direct Link to This Post
Are you needing a new distributor cause I'm going to dis this next month
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 504
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2011 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
I think Chevy S-10s have them.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 291
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2011 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
My son's 95 S10 4.3W had one on it. Not sure if it was original or not but yeah it had the star and points.

The original design for the 2.8 distributor works. I don't think you will find any performance difference between the two. I am not sure if you will find any reliability difference either.

Replacement pick up coils should last as long as originals. Do make sure the wires do NOT get pinched or they WILL fail after some time. That is the same on the star and points design and also the rusty prong design.

Twisted pick up leads to keep them out of the way of the cap. The metal connector inside the plastic shell of the connector can be released using a paperclip. Twist the two together and then slip the metal connector back into the shell making sure it clicks in place.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 09-08-2011).]

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2011 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
phonedawgz,

I thinking it was your tip. Thanks for sharing it.
-Joe
Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2012 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceDirect Link to This Post
Does the Cardone distributor from Advanced Auto come with the cap and rotor?
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2012 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post
LOL NIce timing. I've got one of those six-pointed-star distributors in my car but it came from the junkyard. I think it was $20. From an '85-or-so Pontiac 6000 if I remember right. Cleaned up nice and gave it a new pickup coil and module. Gotta love junkyard engineering.
PFF
System Bot
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2012 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceDirect Link to This Post
But does the one for AutoZone come with the cap and rotor??
css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2012 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bruce:

If their website is to be believed, it looks like it does not come with cap and rotor. Wouldn't hurt to call them and ask.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2012 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Autozone can get MSD cap and rotor fora 4.3 for $27, it fits and functions perfect on the 2.8.
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2012 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceDirect Link to This Post
Are there any wiring changes that have to be made, or will the Cardone fit in without any adaptations?
css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2012 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post
It should work perfectly without any modification. It'll come ready to install with a new module, pickup coil and O-ring. Remember to lube the gear and O-ring with oil before installing it (probably even better would be to use assembly lube).

If you were just re-installing the old distributor, you'd mark the base of it and the engine block to insure it goes back in the correct place. Obviously, a new distributor won't have the mark. Hint - Mark the engine block where the casting seam is on the side of the distributor base, and install the new distributor with the casting seam lined up with the mark (it'll be to the left of the hold-down mounting bolt). Check your timing afterward with the timing light.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2012 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bruce:

When I replaced mine, it only came as the one in the picture above is shown. You'll have to supply your own hardware normally, or buy new. They had it all in stock, though.
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2012 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceDirect Link to This Post
I followed up on my question, and the Advance Auto rep informed me that the distributor comes with the cap and rotor. $139, +10 core charge, + free shipping, + 10% discount.
I'm not certain why the Fiero Shop charges $169, + $50 core charge, and applicable shipping; but I'll go with Advance for now.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock