Ignition Coil Packs 3800 mounting. by ethan555
Started on: 10-14-2011 04:14 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: amflyer on 04-29-2012 10:00 AM
ethan555

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2011 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ethan555Send a Private Message to ethan555Direct Link to This Post
i want to mount my coil packs where the stock alt was on the 3800, ( i have the low mount alt) and i was wandering if anyone had done the same thing and how they did it and pictures would be nice too, i'm open to any other mounting options two but so far i like the one i mentioned best, easy access and when i get some MSD coils i can show them off.

thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2011 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Darth Fiero has mounted them there on a few swaps.

www.gmtuners.com

edit, msd coils suck.

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 10-14-2011).]

ethan555

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2011 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ethan555Send a Private Message to ethan555Direct Link to This Post
mines super charged and has a different set up where the alt used to be.
but its a start
and what are some good new coils to get if msd aren't good?
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2011 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
Junkyard ones.

aka OEM, nothing beats it.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec5
11.53@126.7

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2011 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2011 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ethan555:

mines super charged and has a different set up where the alt used to be.
but its a start

Here's a picture of what I did on an SC engine (auto trans, so no dog-bone needed since I used 4 mounts; one at each corner of the powertrain):

and what are some good new coils to get if msd aren't good?

OE ignition coils are different so beware. Supercharged engines got ignition coils that have the blue color code (on the coil) underneath where the module plugs into it. I've seen grey on non-supercharged 3800 engines and yellow on other V6's and even 4cyl.

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2011 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
I put mine here:

------------------
2010 WRX, w2a chargecooled & stage II
1987 Fiero GT 3.4TDC w/ n20
KTM 250SX

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 259
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2011 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
When I relocated the coils on a friends 3800SC, I placed them by the passenger strut and the factory harness to the coil packs reached this new location w/o and modifications (needed 3 longer plug wires):

ethan555

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ethan555Send a Private Message to ethan555Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

OE ignition coils are different so beware. Supercharged engines got ignition coils that have the blue color code (on the coil) underneath where the module plugs into it. I've seen grey on non-supercharged 3800 engines and yellow on other V6's and even 4cyl.

-ryan

i think i'll try to put something together similar to that setup, and thats good to know on the coil packs, i still have all my original coils but one is a bit rusted so i might need a new one.
do you remember what the wire lengths were?
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

I put mine here:

I've seen a lot of people have bad luck with modules going bad mounting them in that location - probably because the heat from the exhaust comes right up and soaks it. I did one swap a long time ago where I put the coil pack in the same location you showed in your picture and that car went thru 2 modules in the span of 2 months; I relocated the coil pack to a cooler location quickly thereafter and it never had a problem again. I have never mounted another coil pack on the trunk firewall since.

Not saying that you and everyone else will experience the same problems, but just a FYI.

Originally posted by ethan555:
i think i'll try to put something together similar to that setup, and thats good to know on the coil packs, i still have all my original coils but one is a bit rusted so i might need a new one.
do you remember what the wire lengths were?

Assuming the rust is on the plug wire terminal tower of the coil, just clean it up with a wire brush is best you can and try it out. If it works, check it and your wire end terminal that installs onto it a couple of times after you put some miles on it to make sure there is no arcing going on (would be indicated by black carbon tracking and perhaps some white corrosion buildup). If arcing is occurring and you can't correct what is causing it, replace the coil or you could be replacing a wire soon.

I don't have wire measurements, sorry. I make the wires for each swap and it is just as easy to install a wire, mark, cut, and assemble it as I go.

-ryan
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Stay with stock coils....read nothing but bad things about MSD coils.....move battery uo front and mount coils where battery is...keeps then easy to work on and out of site....

PFF
System Bot
XgovernmentAgent

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XgovernmentAgentSend a Private Message to XgovernmentAgentDirect Link to This Post
Willl stock GTP plug wires reach without issue if the coil is mounted in the valley between the snout and valve cover? I know Darth said he has not taken any measurements, but maybe someone else has something to input?

Thanks!
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
I located my coil pack under the right vent grill where the battery normally sits. I also have the OEM power center (fuse box) there. Its a cool location as there is a constant flow of air in that area. My only concern was that the coil pack and plug wires are exposed to rain there. Last year when driving to Carlisle I got to test the coil packs hermetic qualities. I got stuck in a torrential downpour and everything kept working fine. Apparently those coil packs are pretty well sealed against the rain as are the coil wire/terminal boots.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
I have also put the coilpack where the battery was for my 7730 3.4 swap and my 3800 swap, and didn't have any problems from either.
30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 04-28-2012).]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 04-28-2012).]

RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
Put mine in the stock battery location. Anything electronic likes a nice cool spot. Who ever mounted theirs against the rear trunk wall is crazy. Seriously, those coils and modules are expensive to replace.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2012 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

Put mine in the stock battery location. Anything electronic likes a nice cool spot. Who ever mounted theirs against the rear trunk wall is crazy. Seriously, those coils and modules are expensive to replace.

I have also put the coilpack where the battery was for my 7730 3.4 swap and my 3800 swap, and didn't have any problems from either.

Guys, I fully agree with the cooler location for the coilpack/module but the exposure to rain under the vent had me worried until last year when I got caught in a torrential downpour on the way to Carlisle. No ill effects so far. How's your installation holding up? Hit any serious rain storms yet?
You'd be surprised how many coilpacks I see located on the rear trunk wall. That area is right over the exhaust manifold and gets hardly any ventilation. The coils may hold up for a while but the electronic module under the coils is where my concern would be.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

amflyer

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2012 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for amflyerDirect Link to This Post
Ours are mounted on the cardle under the car works great!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock