Started on: 03-05-2012 05:01 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 03-19-2012 02:40 PM
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2012 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure many have seen some of the comparison pictures on the ZZP website, or else where, but I wanted to make my own here for Fiero owners, by Fiero owners!

Here I have a stock cast manifold, nothing has been done to this manifold, 100% stock. Next to it is the ZZP Power-log. The difference is this is one of the older P-logs, as it is not made of stainless-steel. I got it used for cheap. I think the shape was changed as well, but it fits exactly the same. The welds are great and show no signs of any cracking. Now, take a look at the differences. Pretty crazy how bad the stock cast manifold is, compared to the P-log. There is a very noticeable weight difference just by picking each one up. I don't even need to talk about the ports on each of them...

Next, I decided to cut the cast manifold in half to show really how bad it is. Even though I knew what I was going to find, i was still surprised to see exactly how thick that manifold is in person after it's cut. This is why they are so restrictive! It looks "OK" on the outside, until you find out how small the volume really is due too how thick that wall is. You can see in the pictures too, is it very rough on the inside. The ID of this cast manifold was around 1.6 inches, with an average wall thickness of .180 inches! ZZP claims theirs to be 2 1/4". ZZP also clamied a loss of 5lbs from the cast manifold, I believe it!

This is pretty bad as well, very odd shape on the cast manifold.

I painted the ZZP manifold after this comparison, so It looks MUCH better now.

I highly recommend getting...something! Anything is better then that stock manifold if you are looking for performance, P-logs or headers. The p-log is really good for a Turbo, just make sure you get the stainless steel version. IMO, rarely do you see a log style manifold that has more flow AND weighs less.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 03-05-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroall

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2012 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to buy one of those. + Some ER Rockers. Good post man.

[This message has been edited by fieroall (edited 03-05-2012).]

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2012 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Not a powerlog fan myself
85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2012 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTDirect Link to This Post
Why do you say that DH? I've never used one but ive been researching them
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2012 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Not a powerlog fan myself

Yes headers like ZZP's or TOG's are better then the Powerlog, but they really don't fit well in a Fiero, and of course forget about having the lower half of your trunk. I know several don't care about that, but I do for the time being.

If/when I go turbo like you and Justin did, yea I will be keeping my stock rear manifold, but keeping the front cast manifold is just a horrible idea for flow.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 03-05-2012).]

Fierobsessed

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2012 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
I bought the normal front power log, and the "turbo" rear power log. I plan on using them to make a Fiero style routed exhaust. It really looks great on the engine too.

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2012 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:
I plan on using them to make a Fiero style routed exhaust. It really looks great on the engine too.

Thats how I ran mine; although I made mine...
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/115264.html
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2012 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

I bought the normal front power log, and the "turbo" rear power log. I plan on using them to make a Fiero style routed exhaust. It really looks great on the engine too.

Wow, that does look awesome! I like that.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2012 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
I bought a used low mileage SS PLOG for my turbo build....Compared to the stock manifold.....it looks damn good......

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2012 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Bump for anyone who didn't see this yet.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2012 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
I wanted those until I saw the claimed 10hp increase was like above 5k rpm. Now I see in their website that it doesn't seal good and cracks. Not sure I want to go there.
PFF
System Bot
raljep

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2012 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for raljepSend a Private Message to raljepDirect Link to This Post
Will the ZZP power log fit the stock 2.8?
fieroall

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2012 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallDirect Link to This Post
NO.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2012 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by raljep:

Will the ZZP power log fit the stock 2.8?

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2012 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

I wanted those until I saw the claimed 10hp increase was like above 5k rpm. Now I see in their website that it doesn't seal good and cracks. Not sure I want to go there.

The stainless steel ones don't have nearly as many crack problems as the steel ones did. In my case, it's easier to go past 5k rpm, being a manual with a 3.94 final drive.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2012 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
With this application I'd rather use the stock cast headers whereas they may be a bit smaller inside but the junction between the runners and the log is much smoother with the stock cast units; thus, I think you will lose some velocity with ZZP.

BTW you can port runner flanges a little with the stock units.

------------------

trueleo.com
RSpiderII@aol.com

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2012 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
That's true, but did you see how rough it was inside?? It's like touching 60 grit sandpaper! That would reduce velocity right there. Even with the porting, it still "necks" pretty bad into each runner.

Plus like I said you lose 5lbs.

And a "bit" smaller? The ID is 1.6xx inches compared to 2.25 inches.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 03-10-2012).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2012 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Francis T:

With this application I'd rather use the stock cast headers whereas they may be a bit smaller inside but the junction between the runners and the log is much smoother with the stock cast units; thus, I think you will lose some velocity with ZZP.

BTW you can port runner flanges a little with the stock units.

Right

That's true, but did you see how rough it was inside?? It's like touching 60 grit sandpaper! That would reduce velocity right there. Even with the porting, it still "necks" pretty bad into each runner.

Plus like I said you lose 5lbs.

And a "bit" smaller? The ID is 1.6xx inches compared to 2.25 inches.

Completely wrong/useless
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2012 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Nevermind, not worth my time.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 03-12-2012).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2012 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero 2.8L has powerlog type manifolds on it and when you port them they do improve performance.

As for the cracks; that was mostly a problem on the early manifolds. ZZ Performance has some pretty impressive dyno data about the powerlog from a customer on their website. It looks like the powerlog adds both horsepower and reduces KR numbers. Do they work? I have yet to install mine so we shall see. The ports are bigger that the stock manifold so why shouldn't they work? They give a 30% increase in ID size.
Check this out:
http://shop.zzperformance.c...nless-Power-Log.aspx

One other point. On a turbo application I don't know how much the powerlogs would help as the main restriction becomes the turbo itself not always the manifolds. I have always been of the opinion that for fast turbo spooling you can't go hog wild on exhaust pipe/crossover pipe diameters as it slows down the exhaust flow.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 03-19-2012).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock